Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old March 4th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #1
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Star Trek Boston Herald: Don't Spike `Enterprise' just yet!

Boston Herald: Don't Spike `Enterprise' just yet!

By Dean Johnson
Friday, March 4, 2005

There may yet be voyages left for UPN's sci-fi series ``Star Trek: Enterprise.''

On Spike TV.

``It would definitely be something we would look at, and we know how devoted the show's fans are,'' said Spike TV spokeswoman Debra Fazio.

The ``Star Trek'' spinoff (tonight at 8 on WSBK, Ch. 38) is slated to air its last episode in May. But die-hard fans hope to pull off something new: Raise enough money to fund its fifth season.

The price? Nearly $30 million.

Don't laugh. According to Bay State resident Tom Moore, one of the co-founders of the TrekUnited.com project, his group has raised more than $3 million in just a couple of weeks.

The project moved into warp speed this week when ``three anonymous donors who work in the aerospace field made an official pledge of $1 million each to help fund the show,'' Moore said.

The donors weren't just ``Trekkies'' (hard-core fans of the series); they had their own motives for the contributions.

``They are people who want to explore space and privatize the space program, and they feel that `Enterprise' is an inspirational show that benefits that goal as well,'' Moore said.

How did a Bay Stater who works as a network administrator for a $60 million-a-year building supply company (he wouldn't name his employer) suddenly end up heading an international campaign to save the Paramount series?

``I'm a longtime science-fiction fan, and not just `Star Trek.' I even like all those shows on the Sci Fi Channel that are on opposite `Enterprise,' '' he said.

``I've been on different (online) `Star Trek' message boards for a while, and when I found out they were trying to save the show, I decided to jump on board.''

But can his group save the series? Moore said several Fortune 500 companies also are interested in the project and that ``more help is on the way.

``I don't know how a company can ignore over $3 million in pledges to bring back a show,'' he said. ``No one has ever done that before. The only one like it I know of was a drive to bring back `Farscape,' and that raised $375,000, I believe. We've raised almost 10 times that amount already.

``All we want is for Paramount to find a way to bring the show back,'' he said.

A UPN spokesperson said yesterday the network's decision to cancel ``Enterprise'' is final. A Sci Fi Channel spokesperson said it has no interest in the show at this time.

But Spike TV might hold the dilithium crystals to keep the show going. The channel already holds the rights to reruns of ``Star Trek: The Next Generation'' and ``Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.''

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

What must be dug out lies rotting at Viacom.

Check out the JMS comments. Someone at Viacom wants Trek to stay dead.
Someone at Viacom refuses to isolate the Beebs from Trek, which must be done if Trek is to survive.
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
You can't possibly believe this right? Sarcasm maybe?
Nobody, not a single person, working for Viacom, Paramount Studios, the United Paramount Network or any of their subsidiaries wants Trek dead. No Star Trek means people lose their jobs. Nobody wants that, not even the mythical horned TV exec that lives his life to screw over internet sci fi fans.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
What must be dug out lies rotting at Viacom.

Someone at Viacom refuses to isolate the Beebs from Trek, which must be done if Trek is to survive.
While true and the Spike TV proposal of a 13 week pickup of ENT "seems like a rehash of old news", today's article *appears to indicate* that ENT is still remotely alive. Now whether or not Spike TV is using ENT as a stunt to attract viewers is another matter.

Spike TV in all honesty, is pretty much devoid of original primetime programming (M-F from 8pm-11pm):
http://www.spiketv.com/schedule/sche...ayPart=evening

To be honest, I only watch Spike TV for it's Horsepower TV, Trucks!, and Car and Driver TV programs. The Japanese game show "Spring of Trivia" is pretty funny stuff with the english commentary dubbing. DS9 and ST:TNG is on in the late mornings-early afternoons M-F. If you are a WWE fan, then Spike TV is your channel.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote