Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old March 27th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #1
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart Yo! Dasani-body know...?

I think this may be an apt thread for the 'Cafe'...

Have any of you guys heard about the 'Dasani' controversy in the UK recently....

Well, Coca-Cola recently launched the bottled water brand in the UK not to much fanfare, but things soon started to go wrong when reports appeared in the press, claiming that 'Dasani' was basically purified tap-water from Sidcup in Kent. Questions were asked - Is the tap-water unsafe? Should people pay money for what is basically tap-water? and so on.

But the crunch came when it was revealed that the 'Dasani' water contained levels of the chemical 'Bromate' (a by-product of adding sub-standard calcium to the water) which exceeded legal levels. So the water was withdrawn from sale last week - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3550063.stm

Okay, so 'Dasani' was cheaper than standard mineral waters - I quite liked the taste, but you could reckon it was kind of like selling snow to the Eskimos!

What is the US view of 'Dasani', and do any of you drink it?, given the fact it's the No.2 bottled water brand over there, behind Pepsi's 'Aquafina' (made using the similar process of 'reverse osmosis').

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #2
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359
I think this may be an apt thread for the 'Cafe'...

Have any of you guys heard about the 'Dasani' controversy in the UK recently....

Well, Coca-Cola recently launched the bottled water brand in the UK not to much fanfare, but things soon started to go wrong when reports appeared in the press, claiming that 'Dasani' was basically purified tap-water from Sidcup in Kent. Questions were asked - Is the tap-water unsafe? Should people pay money for what is basically tap-water? and so on.

But the crunch came when it was revealed that the 'Dasani' water contained levels of the chemical 'Bromate' (a by-product of adding sub-standard calcium to the water) which exceeded legal levels. So the water was withdrawn from sale last week - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3550063.stm

Okay, so 'Dasani' was cheaper than standard mineral waters - I quite liked the taste, but you could reckon it was kind of like selling snow to the Eskimos!

What is the US view of 'Dasani', and do any of you drink it?, given the fact it's the No.2 bottled water brand over there, behind Pepsi's 'Aquafina' (made using the similar process of 'reverse osmosis').

All the best,
Ian W359
I 'did' .............not anymore!!!!!!!!!!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hah! Cool! My family is always spending $$ on bottled water when the city is spending millions purifying water we get from the tap. I get mine either from the tap or from the fridge, which is cold and has a carbon filter. Good enough for me! (Hey, I've had sulphur flavored water - anything else is saporific!!!)

O, btw everybody, did you ever notice that the most famous bottled water Evian, has a little secret to tell?????

Evian is Naive spelled backwards!!!!! Hmmm, if that's not a giveaway I don't know what is!!!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Bombadil

I pay 25 cents a gallon to fill my own empty milk jugs with reverse-osmosis filtered water from a kiosk in front of the grocery store. It definitely makes better-tasting coffee, which is my primary reason. I don't see why I should pay $1.00 gallon or more for the stuff.
Old March 27th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
I pay 25 cents a gallon to fill my own empty milk jugs with reverse-osmosis filtered water from a kiosk in front of the grocery store. It definitely makes better-tasting coffee, which is my primary reason. I don't see why I should pay $1.00 gallon or more for the stuff.
Neither do I ..........as a matter of fact my hubby just put in a water filter .........
so now .........................
Old March 27th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #6
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I actually like Dasani water.... I do drink it, but I also drink a variety of bottled waters. I never heard about the controversy, but I'm sure they aren't the only ones selling filtered tap water - it's not a terribly original idea.

To be quite honest, I like the tap water in the city we currently live in. We have a filter on the water dispenser for the refrigerator, but even though it is cold, I don't enjoy the taste as much. The only reason that I bothered with bottled water was when I was at work. The city where I work is having a ground water pollution problem due to poor disposal control at a local rocket engine testing facility. They put filters on all the drinking fountains at work, but I still don't like the taste.
________
PENNY STOCK PICKS
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #7
braxiss
Major

why drink water? have you seen what it does to the plumming in your house?
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #8
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I can't stand the water that comes out of my tap, I'd just as soon drink from a swimming pool, but paying $1.00 a gallon isn't really an option as I drink almost that much water a day. I have a Brita. I buy a bottle once, and refill it untill it can't be washed And since I use the filter to clean the water to taste and not for whatever health benifits they are supposed to have, the filters last several months.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #9
Rowan
On Vacation...

but those kind of filters only remove particulate not bacteria or protozoa
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 03:58 AM   #10
bsg1fan1975
Major

after having spent years of drinking tap water that was gross I like my mother have gone to drinking bottled water. I do at times indulge and get the flavored water but when it comes to plain water I drink Poland Spring or anything that's on sale!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #11
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I have to laugh when the tourists buy all the bottled water at the store. (And I do mean all). Especially the ones who have summer homes and are on the town water supply. They are so conditioned to bottled water at home they won't drink the municipal water here and we have some of the best quality municipal water in the entire state of NY!

More for me! (But it's awful hard to drink up an entire lake!)
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #12
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I am so grateful that I have a good well and that the water is not only cold but also yummy. And, the extra iron in the water (we have high iron levels in my town) means I don't have to worry about iron supplements (a concern for women).

When I am away from home I drink Monadnock Spring Water as a friend of mine used to own the company and I know where the water comes from and that it is NOT refiltered tap water.

I am trying to wean my sister off of Aquafina, as she is pregnant, but haven't been able to so far. It's funny, she gave up everything, including fake sugar and caffeine & fish, but still likes her chemically treated tap water... and I was born the blonde, go figure!

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:20 PM   #13
bsg1fan1975
Major

I just had to go and buy some more water but I bought the cheap store brand! I used to like the water in my town but something has changed and its so yuck!

Old April 1st, 2004, 09:35 AM   #14
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Rowan, the water that comes from my tap smells strongly of chlorine, I doubt there are any bacteria or protozoa left to deal with.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:47 AM   #15
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Anybody consider a water filter? Pur makes a really good one you put on the end of the faucet. Takes out the chlorine and other stuff that makes it taste funny. Or you could get a more elaborate, more efficient (and more expensive) in-line osmosis system if you really have problem water.

Cheaper in the long run than the bottled stuff.

Hi, FG! Grrr. Grrr.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:55 AM   #16
kitty
Bad Email Address

I do not know if you have anything like this or heard of it:
there is a new housing development in West Yorkshire, which is the first estate in the my country to be supplied with a revolutionary new diet tap water.

Tap water contains zero calories. But diet tap water undergoes a complex treatment process giving it a negative charge that, when consumed by an individual, repels positive fat cells from the body. The result: weight loss.

A Yorkshire Water spokesperson explains: "Those who connect to the network will have a third tap installed to their kitchen sink.

"Customers will also have a meter fitted and will be charged the standard price per litre, the same as normal tap water.

"We are the first water company in the world to consider such a move, but are confident it will prove extremely popular. Customers are now very health conscious with diet versions of fizzy drinks selling millions of bottles each year.

"It is only natural that we follow suit and launch diet tap water, but at a more affordable price for customers."

Success story

Andrew Kenna, a 41-year-old office worker, who moved to Cleckheaton in January, swears by the new diet tap water.

"In the four months I have been trialing the drink I have lost nearly a stone and a half. I used to wear 42-inch waist trousers, but I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe since drinking the stuff.

"What's makes it better than all the other diet drinks is that it's so cheap, and you don't even have to leave home to receive it. You simply have to walk to the kitchen sink and turn on a tap."

Doesnt that sound great!
Forget about the mineral water, I want some of this diet water.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:40 PM   #17

Default are you half as hot as your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
but those kind of filters only remove particulate not bacteria or protozoa
love tu remove filters and things in the way im19 and live in portland most of the year are you ready 4 love read your posts your a bad girl we can tame that problem lol gba
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM   #18
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Cool it buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerthanme
love tu remove filters and things in the way im19 and live in portland most of the year are you ready 4 love read your posts your a bad girl we can tame that problem lol gba
Strangerthanme -

I would strongly suggest that you refrain from "hitting on" the female members of this forum. This isn't a dating service! Considering how you've managed to rack up 30 or so posts in one day, is clearly a sign that you have too much time on your hands and I would suggest that you find a more constructive way to post, or your time here will be a very short one!

Consider this a very stern warning!

Oh, by the way - how about those Buckeyes?

Sincerely

Gemini1999
Colonial Fleets Moderator
________
Marijuana
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:56 PM   #19
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Hah! Cool! My family is always spending $$ on bottled water when the city is spending millions purifying water we get from the tap. I get mine either from the tap or from the fridge, which is cold and has a carbon filter. Good enough for me! (Hey, I've had sulphur flavored water - anything else is saporific!!!)

O, btw everybody, did you ever notice that the most famous bottled water Evian, has a little secret to tell?????

Evian is Naive spelled backwards!!!!! Hmmm, if that's not a giveaway I don't know what is!!!
I didn't know that
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:52 AM   #20
Bombadil

What do you make of bars and restaurants that serve expensive bottled water and then put in ice cubes made from tap water?
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM   #21
Rowan
On Vacation...

Yup cause that is what we do....
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM   #22
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
What do you make of bars and restaurants that serve expensive bottled water and then put in ice cubes made from tap water?
That's why I don't drink water at the 'expensive' restaurants.
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:07 AM   #23
bsg1fan1975
Major

I only drink water when I am home!