Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 1st, 2003, 09:04 PM   #1
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Stargate A Million Bucks An Episode...For What?

I've had this question on my mind that I can't answer. When BG was cancelled it was stated, and mentioned many times since, that high production costs in excess or up to one million for each episode was what led to the decision to pull it off the air. Here is where my confusion begins...The main sets were built, most of them were, for the most part; the expensive collection of main bridge monitors and computers had been lent out by a certain computer company (I don't remember which) in exchange for advertising or bylines (again, I don't remember the details); except for Greene there were no high profile cast members to demand giant salaries; and the majority of special effects shots were used and reused over and over throughout the series...so what did one million in 1978 dollars per episode actually go toward?

Does anybody have any idea?

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 10:42 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

I have often wondered the same thing myself. I personally doubt that it really cost that much, once the pilot, and some initial shots were done. Just another excuse from the braindead NitWerk suits for why they yanked the best show of the '78 season.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 01:19 AM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

well... I know that every laser bolt cost $1000 to do back in the days when gas was about 25 cents. Also a scifi show has basic costs like creating alien environments, alien masks, costumes etc.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 03:05 AM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

But a million cubits...uh, bucks a pop? Costume departments are full of exotic stuff. I still think it was an excuse.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 06:28 AM   #5
Shatter
Bad Email Address

Having learned more about the original production, this is a question I've had too. Once I'd learned that many special effects shots were reused throughout the season, I wondered how the price tag for each episode had become so high. Although I'm sure there were some high costs associated with individual episodes, I honestly wonder if this figure wasn't the result of the twisting of numbers by a handful of execs who wanted to invest money in other shows that they viewed as more "viable".
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:28 AM   #6
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Thanks for the responses folks. Regardless, like Richard Hatch himself, we are still essentially clueless to the real reasons why it cost so much, though I suspect that Shatter's reasoning is perhaps the most accurate.
Quote:
I honestly wonder if this figure wasn't the result of the twisting of numbers by a handful of execs who wanted to invest money in other shows that they viewed as more "viable".

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:34 AM   #7
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
well... I know that every laser bolt cost $1000 to do back in the days when gas was about 25 cents.
$1000 per laser bolt? Holy Christmas! Look at how far we've come in technology, now you can easily create them with Photoshop-similar programs. What is truly amazing is that George Lucas was able to pull off Star Wars with 9 million dollars, and Universal spent a million an episode for far less effects shots. I wonder that the defiled revival is expected to cost per episode if it goes to a series, and what it cost for the mini-series.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:55 AM   #8
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I think a lot of the money went to the silver cowboy hats.

Two-Brain
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:15 AM   #9
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I think the initial episodes were $1M, then the figure was about $750,000.

In Cinefantastique, Richard D James the pd says he only had a budget of $17,000 for sets!

Peter
Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:15 AM   #10
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Total money

I think the figure might have been a total of everything that went into the sets, actors, spfx etc. Remember that Tektronix had donated tons of computers, etc. for the bridge set and an airline gave them flight sims and stuff like that.

The $1 million per episode was probably the way the network let it out to attract people to watch. Probably more of a marketing ploy than anything else. I have no doubt that a million bucks went into the production of the pilot and perhaps Lost Planet, but after that, there was hardly a million dollars laying around for each episode. That's why we got the back lot western sets for the next several shows...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:29 AM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

There is a factor used by the suits to measure the profitability of most every thing. It's called ROI or Return On Investment.

The ROI for Battlestar was pretty close to zero. Yes they some money off of it but shows like Mork & Mindy have astronomical ROI's. Thus the cancellation. This also why most Science Fiction shows look cheap or are done on shoestring budgets. They have to keep the ROI inline with other genera.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:52 PM   #12
nightscape2112
Warrior

its true that lorne green was the best known actor of the original cast, but the others like hatch, benedict, seymour, begely jr. and colicos they all had a good resume.

then there are the guest stars that came on for different episodes like fred astaire, lloyd bridges and pactric macnee.

still the number of one million sounds high, but there were high quallity stars on the original series.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 01:51 PM   #13
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I seem to recail GAL stating that the effects budget (practical and optical) on The Incredible Hulk was bigger than BSG's.

Peter
Old September 3rd, 2003, 04:27 PM   #14
PlaidSquadron
Bad Email Address

Of course, its all in the way the books are kept. And in Hollywood, that isn't always straight forward (read Fatal Subtraction if you are interested)

My guess would be there was a lot of costs in actors, film and other stuff. Add in the cost of "spec scripts" (items that may get used later, and not necessarily BSG related) and TPTB can pretty much make the numbers equal anything they want
PlaidSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 04:36 PM   #15
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Total money

Quote:
Originally posted by Charybdis
I think the figure might have been a total of everything that went into the sets, actors, spfx etc. Remember that Tektronix had donated tons of computers, etc. for the bridge set and an airline gave them flight sims and stuff like that.

The $1 million per episode was probably the way the network let it out to attract people to watch. Probably more of a marketing ploy than anything else. I have no doubt that a million bucks went into the production of the pilot and perhaps Lost Planet, but after that, there was hardly a million dollars laying around for each episode. That's why we got the back lot western sets for the next several shows...
This is most likely closest to the mark. The $1M/episode could be the AVERAGE COST/EPISODE. If you take the TOTAL COST of the 17 episodes and divide it by 17.....

This is just a thought.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #16
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default $14 million??

Am I imagining things or didn't early promos and posters for the pilot movie say something like it cost in the area of $14 million???

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #17
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

I couldn't say, I have no memory of that.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #18
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

BST- its 17 episodes, but remember alot of those are two parters. The original pilot stretched three hours.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #19
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Agreed. The 2-part eps + the pilot definitely would have been more expensive in total dollars while some of the single eps would have been less, hence the "average". (Probably would have been better to have said "Avg Cost/Hour").

btw, is there any "accounting info" available, about the show? Costs, etc.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 06:23 AM   #20
Reaper63
Shuttle Pilot

I tend to agree with that figure being an average of the total season. When you look at Eps like Gun on Ice Planet Zero, you definately had to spend alot more money then on Murder on the Rising Star. The Snow effects, and everything had to put a big dent into the budget, then in War of the Gods, you had the location filming, you had to set up the big ship wreckage and everything, plus those cool red filters

All in all, I don't think every show cost this, even with the big name guest stars, but I can see it averaging to this.
Reaper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #21
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Another factor: Guest stars. Lloyd Bridges, Patrick Macnee, Fred Astair, and so on.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #22
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: $14 million??

Quote:
Originally posted by Charybdis
Am I imagining things or didn't early promos and posters for the pilot movie say something like it cost in the area of $14 million???
I saw that in the ad in our local paper's theatre, when it was theatrically released, in June of '79. I may still have it somewhere. But that was the figure printed.
Old September 5th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #23
AlphaNova
Shuttle Pilot

Default I'm just making a guess here

I'm completely making a guess here, but I know back then a common tactic was for the studio to use the budget for a weekly series to help pay off the costs of the pilot, especially an expensive pilot like Galactica. It could be that they were bleeding off money from the weekly episodes to cover the excess expenses of "Sage of a Star World".
Old September 6th, 2003, 05:02 AM   #24
Last Battlestar
Shuttle Pilot

Exactly, AlphaNova.

The high cost of the pilot episode would have been armortized over the entire run of the series. The big 'event' two-parters like 'Ice Planet Zero' would have been dramatically more expensive than say, 'Murder on the Rising Star'. The average cost of the entire series would have been around $1M.

Don't forget the behind the scenes costs. Film development, editing, music scoring and recording, sound effects, voice looping, advertisment costs, blah, blah, blah. Location filming was, and still is, horrendously expensive. Hence the old TV series trick of throwing in a 'flashback' episode or courtroom drama episode shot entirely on stage. It's a way of knocking out an inexpensive episode or two per season.

The Galactica model herself was supposedly $50,000 and the process of motion control bluescreen filming was very time consuming ($$$) than the CGI of today. There would have been dozens of people on the payroll to create the show on a weekly basis. In fact, after watching a couple of episodes today, I'm surprised the figure wasn't higher, even in 70's dollars. That show still knocks the socks off many current sci fi shows today in it's production values.

Mike, Oz.
Expected Completion Date: UNKNOWN

Apollo: 'Let's go home'
Starbuck: 'Some home. A piece of metal in the middle of nowhere'
Apollo: 'Sure beats just plain nowhere! Let's go in....'

".... I am still trying to get my mind around the dried up armadilo look. The 'gator just seemed to work better." -dvo47p

Last Battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #25
AlphaNova
Shuttle Pilot

Default I agree that it was probably an average

The cost listed was probably an average for the entire series. Some shows cost less, others cost more. Early on they probably were paying off the pilot's costs. This was common back then. Money was taken from one pocket and placed into another when needed. Considering the production values for "Saga of a Star World" and "Lost Planet of the Gods" it's surprising they didn't do an episode containing flashbacks from previous episodes. Remember Buck Rogers? During it's first season they had to do a flashback episode. And none of the Buck episodes looks as if they were spending the money Galactica did during it's first five hours.
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I think it actually went for 'administration' costs
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote