Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Christmas Shows - 2009

Yes, it's that time of year again!!!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

In the attached WORD document is a listing of all the televised Christmas shows this year. For those living in or around the Pittsburgh area, I've also included the local shows.

Enjoy
and

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Attached Files
File Type: doc Christmas Shows - 2009.doc (146.0 KB, 8 views)
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Christmas Shows - 2009

Thanks for posting that!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Thanks from here also.

For those in the Florida region and anyone thinking of heading down to Orlando, EPCOT now has the Christmas Candlelight Chior. From what I gathered, this is Disney employees all of whom volunteered to put on this show, supported by the Disney orchestra.

Among the many things I loved about it was that it was unmistakeably a CHRISTMAS show, presented without any apologies. It was solely about JESUS CHRIST, with scriptures from the Bible being read among the music. For those familiar with Disney (and the Central Florida area), this is the first time in a long while that any public Christmas event has taken place without everyone cowering in fear that some Muslim or athiest was going to sue anyone and everyone they could for hinting that they had positive feelings towards Christianity. Presumably, someone finally figured out that if you don't want to hear a Christian-themed presentation, nobody is forcing you to stand in the line and wait to get in. (To get in, you had to be in line at least 30 minutes before the presentation).

I found it to be very refreshing, especially since this year I've also heard a number of "Merry Christmas" greetings, rather than the politically correct "Happy Holidays", said to me by someone who seemed fearful that even that pleasantry might land them in hot water.

This week is also the first time in almost a decade I've heard people in public admit they're viewing a Christmas tree rather than a "Holiday Tree".

Regardless, the EPCOT chior presented what I thought was undoubtedly one of the best shows I've seen in many years. Personally, I loved it and hope this is a hint that the average person can return to enjoying Christmas again.

I highly recommend the EPCOT presentatiion to anyone who might be in the area.

All my best to all,

Russell
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #4
starbucko
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
cowering in fear that some Muslim or athiest was going to sue anyone and everyone...
Russell
I don't apologize for wishing people Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays (a phrase I will never use) - but I don't blame Muslims or aetheists - or for that matter, Jews or Hindus or Jehovah's Witnesses. I blame the people who are so into Political Correctness that they try to tell everyone what words are allowable and what aren't. And of course, the sheep that let them.

But Merry Christmas anyway
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:12 AM   #5
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

.... and of course, everyone likes Christmas Leopard!

All my best,

Russell
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Another great recoomendation is "The Nutcracker Ballet".

In the interest of a full confession, I've been to a total of ONE ballet in my entire life, ... namely, The Nutcracker, which was yesterday. The Orlando Ballet put on the performance and it was the second totally stunning show I've seen this year ... and it was the ballet. (I'm not sure if that means if I should be measured for my uterus or anything like that. I certainly SEEM to do enough guy stuff otherwise).

Since we couldn't take pictures, I found a preview link on YOUTUBE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs75u8DrfEQ

What the video doesn't show was the incredible lightning job they did on the stage. Due to my computer animation time and photography, I'm always keen on lighting but I found this to be especially impressive. Somehow (and I've not worked it all out yet), they managed to add a richness to the color that I could only attribute to the Ugly Betty television series. That has a full saturation where real life only has about a 65% saturation. Thus, the Ugly Betty show leaps out at you. In this case, the Nutcracker did the same in the opening party scene and at a couple other key points.

Also, the Russian dancers were absolutely incredible. I didn't see any wires and was sure they'd get tangled up if I did but these guys certainly seemed to defy gravity.

For those like me who are ignorant of the ballet, the tickets are pricey but not so out of range as to be beyond that of a really popular concert. I intend to check out more of these in the next coming year and strongly suggest that everyone make the Nutcracker part of their Christmas agenda. I only wish I'd have checked this out about 20 years ago.

All my best,

Russell

P.S. Does anyone else do Christmas stuff these days? Not even a picture of lights or a Christmas tree or anything? Come on guys. This is Fleets. You're supposed to share.
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #7
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Also, we went to the Hollywood Studios Festival of Lights. I shot this with my digital camera (video setting), so I apologize for the quality but ... for a bit more modern version of the nutcracker:

I tried to embed it but it didn't work. The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKb10U1Mol8

All my best,

Russell
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
P.S. Does anyone else do Christmas stuff these days? Not even a picture of lights or a Christmas tree or anything? Come on guys. This is Fleets. You're supposed to share.
We've been a bit busy lately stimulating the economy (got new windows) but, did find time to decorate the Christmas tree.

Merry Christmas!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas Tree-1200x768.jpg (182.0 KB, 4 views)
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #9
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin