Aitch,
harryfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I was watching The Beta Cloud and the creature was played by none other than David "Darth Vader" Prowse.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Bijou88

I wish the A&E release of this series in the states had these bonus features. I can't afford to buy the same thing twice.

Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I wonder if we will get these in the states.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #6
Galactifan
Warrior

I picked up the older original version box set of "Space: 1999" on DVD. Although the episodes aren't that exciting or technically accurate, it's still nice to see another classic sci-fi series properly transferred to DVD for the next generation of fans. You gotta love those Eagles.
Galactifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Some of those R2 extras I think are part of the bonus disc with the "Message From Moonbase Alpha" short film. The bonus disc also had remastered versions of three first season episodes and also had commentaries for them, the most illuminating being Sylvia Anderson on "Testament Of Arkada" where she states frankly that hiring Barry Morse had been a mistake.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
I wonder if we will get these in the states.
Paul -

I decided not to wait and see...

I recently purchased a multi-region DVD player and I'm going to buy the Region 2 Special Edition version. My best friend is also into Space:1999 and he's going to inherit my A&E set - he just doesn't know it yet!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #9
Bijou88

The bonus disc also had remastered versions of three first season episodes and also had commentaries for them, the most illuminating being Sylvia Anderson on "Testament Of Arkada" where she states frankly that hiring Barry Morse had been a mistake.[/QUOTE]

She said hiring Barry Morse mas a mistake? No wonder Gerry Anderson divorced her!

Old February 19th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88
No wonder Gerry Anderson divorced her!
Bijou88 -

It was actually the other way around.... In Ms. Anderson's defense, she went on to become an exec for HBO, now her husband on the other hand, had sold off the rights to almost all of their popular collaborations. Other than the recent CGI version of Captain Scarlet, Mr. Anderson hasn't really had all that much going for him other than convention apperances.

The one thing that people forget is that they were a creative team. When the team broke up, so did Gerry's success as a producer. Case in point, Year 2 of Space:1999 which was cancelled after Fred Freiberger took Ms. Anderson's place as co-producer.

Ms. Anderson was a successful actress, art directer and a big part of the "look" for most of the marionette characters, costuming and set design for the earlier series.

She may have made the unfortunate comment about Barry Morse and I don't agree with her, but I loved her commentary and would like to see her on the convention circuit like her ex-husband is.

Sylvia is FAB!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The reason why she ripped Barry Morse in the commentary was that according to her, Barry kept expressing his total disdain for the entire series during his stint on the program. It gave me the impression that Barry would have been out the door even if the Andersons divorce and Sylvia's departure hadn't happened, so this is one cast change that can't be blamed on Freiberger.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #12
Bijou88

I didn't really want to make light of their unhappiness. It's just that Barry Morse was one of the elements that made Space: 1999 year one so special. I con't understand what she wouldn't like about him. Professor Bergman added so much to the show. His absence was really felt in year two.
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Oh, I wasn't blaming Morse's departure on Freiberger....not soley anyways. The concept for the "alien science officer"...that's ole Freddy's handiwork, which he lifted directly from his stint on TOS Trek. They never had a "science officer" title (Maya), nor a "security chief" title (Tony Verdeschi) until Freiberger started making 1999 over into a more Trek-like format.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy all 48 epsiodes of Space:1999, but the concept changes took more away from it than they added for the second series - at least to my mind anyways.