Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old July 4th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #1
jjrakman

Default T3- My review - SPOILERS

Well I saw it. And it was...adequate.

There's enough here to be entertaining but to be fair it was really just more of the same. "Oh no, here comes the terminator, run."

And that pretty much just about sums it up.

But for the nitpicker in me here's a few problems I have.

First, the opening sequence with the terminatrix. She steals a car and starts speeding wildly down the road. Now if you were trying to get to your target as efficiently and incognito as possible, wouldn't you try to obey the traffic laws? So okay, let's say the opposite is true and you want to get to your target no matter what it takes. Why then stop for the police man who turns on his disco lights and wants to pull you over? I thought it was a contrived entrance for her.

Second, the addition of John Conner's future wife, who now the terminators also want to kill. John Conner said that he met her before the day before the terminator arrived in T2. So why weren't the the terminators trying to kill them both in T2 then? Why weren't they trying to kill her mother in T1? For me, it seemed that the writers were trying too desperately to make this female character more than a damsel in distress tagging along, but gave her too much importance. It honestly would have been better of they dropped her altogether and fucused more on John's life as a junkie. I think writers somehow feel it necessary to have some sort of "love interest" in every movie. There was nothing of the sort in T2, and it was fine. Besides, I don't think John Conner would much time to have a relationship after Judgement Day if he's leading the fight to save all of humanity. I'm thinking there will be more important matters to occupy his time. And If I recall correctly it was hinted at that Reese was a virgin before he mated with Sarah Conner for just this reason. And now Arnold makes a passing reference to the importance of John Conner's children. Please don't make another terminator where they travel back in time to protect John Conner's children, please.

Third, that they didn't come up with a more original idea that Judgement Day was not stopped in T2 other than just saying "Judgement Day is inevitable."

Fourth, Arnold was trying too hard to milk the one-liners.

Fifth, the whole thing with the father of John Conner's future wife. Now he's the one who controls the fate of Skynet. Fine. But they never explained how the work that gave birth to skynet survived being blown to smithereens in T2.

Sixth, if your John Conner, trying to stay incognito and and out of any records, why would you return to your home town where you end up meeting a former high school sweet heart? And if I missed something and he didn't return home, what would be the chances of running into a former high school sweetheart?

What did I like? The SPFX were good. And the chase scene with the crane was great. The terminatrix was pretty good. And I like how they were led to a bomb shelter at the end. The ending was pretty well done I thought, both showing judgement Day, and the very birth of John Conner's leadership. I also liked the idea that John became a junkie, possibly trying to drug himself out of his own reality, I would have like to have seen more exploration of that, rather than the hastey development of the John Conner's wife character.

But in the end, it was just as I said, it was o.k., but more of the same. I look forward to seeing if they do a T4. I hope they'll drop the time travel aspect. Other than maybe showing the events that lead up to Reese and the other terminators going back in time. At this point I really just want to see the war, how it starts, how it is fought, and how it is ultimately won.
Old July 6th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #2
une
Shuttle Pilot

T3 is the most dissapointing film I've seen since Spiderman. But of course, that's to be expected considering that J. Cameron didn't have anything to do with this movie.

Anyway, I basically agree with you, jjrakman. Except, I didn't enjoy the car chase. I thought it went on for way too long and was amazingly boring. I enjoyed most of the other action scenes though.

Also, I sincerely hope that they don't make a T4. That would be just milking the series, kind of like this one was, and couldn't lead to anything good.
HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
Dave Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.
HAL: It's called "Daisy."
[sings while slowing down]
HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.
une is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I agree with the above opinions that this movie wasn't as thrilling as it could be.

Though I disagree with the criticism of the plot points. I thought the plot was pretty good. Logically it was a very sound movie. The problem I think is that the terminators weren't played in a very threatening manner. Sure they killed and blew up stuff, but they never scared me. They never got me on the edge of my seat. Which is really bad for a TERMINATOR movie.

Second I thought the directing was a little weak. He didn't get us "hooked" into the main characters. (Same flaw as Moore). He creates a more gritty and supposedly more believable world, but it lacks an attachment for us. John Conner isn't sympathetic enough.

(I have more to say, but I'm going to have to come back alter)

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I didn't see the movie. However according to the box office recipts it is making money. They probably will do another Terminator now that the rights have been freed. The old studio Carillco held them that is why 10 years elapsed between films(T-2 and T-3).
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote