Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #1
BSGDAN
Shuttle Pilot

Default Question about the "new" effects...

Since our buddy Titon is bringing his expertise to the special visual effects team of Ronny's pet project, many are no doubt quite stoked about seeing them. I personally have no interest in seeing anything having to do with this remake. Still, I have to wonder...

How will they be able to make the Viper scenes interesting when they will be bound by the "rules" set by Moore. Didn't he say things like the space scenes will be realistic, and that there would be no sound in space (and stuff like that)? Excuse me, but how is that interesting? Are you all going to be expected to get excited over the idea of slow moving, silent Vipers? I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine it. You can play the original BSG space battle scenes in slow motion with no sound and it would be BORING! Imagine Moore's idea of space battles as applied to "Star Wars". Again, BORING! And this is just one example of what he thinks is going to be better than the original.

Dan
BSGDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Warrior:
I'm reopenning 'cause I got it into the right forum and I think he's got some good discussion.

Dan:
Don's just doing a job, as are Lee and a bunch of TOS/Continuation supporting artists. They've a right to do what they love (even if the project itself is not what they want) and feed their families. (and sometimes you do what your heart is not in for the latter goal.) GET OVER IT. For the love of Pete he's done stuff on at least one if not both of Richard's trailers for free. And he's helped this place exist for a long time.
Jewels

Who's sick she can't watch the work of a friend because the script sucks so badly it is not what it represents itself to be.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Question about the "new" effects...

Quote:
Originally posted by BSGDAN

Still, I have to wonder...

How will they be able to make the Viper scenes interesting when they will be bound by the "rules" set by Moore. Didn't he say things like the space scenes will be realistic, and that there would be no sound in space (and stuff like that)? Excuse me, but how is that interesting? Are you all going to be expected to get excited over the idea of slow moving, silent Vipers? I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine it. You can play the original BSG space battle scenes in slow motion with no sound and it would be BORING! Imagine Moore's idea of space battles as applied to "Star Wars". Again, BORING! And this is just one example of what he thinks is going to be better than the original.

Dan
I too think Moore is cheating the viewer of enjoying the effects. Split screens make me crazy, my TV is not big so I would see 4x6" or so images, 6 of them at once?? Not my kind of TV watching.

Silent vipers: can't imagine it. Wouldn't there be noise in the cockpit? (engine vibration travelling through the metal into the canopy atmosphere that the pilot would "hear".)

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #4
nightscape2112
Warrior

i agree with jewles. i dont like the split screen, hated it in "24" and dont want to see it in battlestar galactica. all the split screen does if give chance to lose the viewer.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote