Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #31
PlaidSquadron
Bad Email Address

I am not sure DeSanto is involved in Logan's Run. Bryan Singer is listed as writer, but no director has been listed yet

(edit) oops - just saw where DeSanto is listed. Please ignore this post
PlaidSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #32
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
I agree that there are films like this, and I also agree that Back to the Future is one of them, and it is an excellent film ! However, these are incomparable to Logun's Run, as ALL the characters will be under 21. There will be no Doc Brown, a mature character to make wise comments.
I don't think it was Doc Brown's character that made the film appeal to older audiences. It was the way the film was directed. Take Doc Brown out andn you still have an enjoyable film for adults. Whereas Thunderbird also had adults and it was kiddietime.

How about Stand By Me, a film starring all boys. It was appealed to adults as well as kids. And it starred all young boys. Much younger than 21. More toward 12-16.

Now I agree with you guys. I think lowering to 21 is uncomfortable.

Quote:
If by your latter comments you think I wish a DeSanto movie to fail, please don't think that as I don't want him to fail, as that could jeopodise Transformers and BSG being made. I don't want to knock DeSanto at all, just express concern that Logun's Run will end up becoming another Thunderbirds.
Good point. I never thought you wanted TDS to fail. Though I am hoping people have a wait and see attitude. Extend a little good will. And basically support the guy. There are good reasons to support him.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #33
Antelope

Look at Grease with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. All the main characters in the show were supposedly high school students and yet the actors were all closer to 30! I can think of a lot of young stars that will be fine playing in Logan's Run even if they are near 30 year olds playing teenagers. I am hoping for the best especially since I liked the original but I have lowered expectations based on the last few remakes I really looked forward to seeing. I will say however a well written and acted remake of Logan's Run could be great! We will just have to wait and see.

On the Desanto Battlestar movie: I hope he does make it especially if that's the last hope for a TOS based Continuation. I am not thrilled with what we have heard so far but that doesn't mean it won't be good. I wasn't thrilled with some aspects of the mini but overall I thought it was great. I look at the Desanto effort with the same eye.

Shiningstar: Thanks for the welcome back. I have had computer problems. For some reason prior to my fixes it caused Colonialfleets to navigate real ssssssllllllooooowwwwww. It took me forever to read a thread and post. Being a dialup internet subscriber only made things worse. As a result I would go to cylon.org first (for some reason their site didn't have those issues) and came here if I had time.

I also have been busier at work as of late and have been doing some military reading that has taken me away from the net.

Colonialfleets is still the friendliest place in the Battlestar world.
Old September 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #34
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Colonialfleets is still the friendliest place in the Battlestar world.
I'm glad you are happy with Fleets! But we need to make it easier for you to get around.

Could it be our rather large amounts of graphics? If you want we can work together on producing an alternate template for low bandwidth people. We are here and ready to help. Just let us know.

Old September 11th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #35
Lusitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg
Go Logan, Go!
No, no, no.....
I just got this info from an "insider".
They are remaking Forest Gump also in the same movie.

The movie title is "Run Logan, Run"
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:02 AM   #36
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Lmao
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #37
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88
I am the first to shake my fist in dismay at the "powers that be" when the stench of re-imagining fouls the air.
l
"Stench of re-imagining". Excellent turn of phrase, Bijou. Right on!

BTW, will the DVDs be in a "Box"ed set???
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #38
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
I'm glad you are happy with Fleets! But we need to make it easier for you to get around.

Could it be our rather large amounts of graphics? If you want we can work together on producing an alternate template for low bandwidth people. We are here and ready to help. Just let us know.

Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't worry about it. The main problem I have is that the needs of internet security have increased so dramatically that when you use an older computer with limited processor and RAM compared to what they sell today that the various security systems slow you down to the point that any well made site with good graphics will slow you down.

My entire system crashed at one point and I was off line for about a week. When I reinstalled everything I found I couldn't even use certain McAfee features on the most current versions because I didn't have enough RAM.

The bottom line is that my system went from being average to a dinousaur over the course of the last 4 years. Add that to dial up and what can I say.

I am looking at selling my business. Once that happens I will purchase a good new system to instal at my home with some kind of broadband connection. Until then the tinkering with the security systems I have done now seem to have put me back where I need to be speedwise. My system crashing was a blessing in disguise.
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #39
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Okay. WE'll just leave it on your side. Good luck with it!!

I understand how ya feel. computers age waaaay to fast. Its very astounding how fast our systems become useless.

I hope your upgrade goes well!

Old September 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #40
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thomas - you're gonna have to change your signature to include Logun's Run now !

I agree we should adopt a wait and see approach to this (and indeed many other) production to see how it goes. I think that, because this discussion follows the recent and disappointing Thunderbirds movie, there is a fear that Logun's Run could go the same way, and it is happening on a BSG board !

But partially I feel that this is an unjustifed fear, as Thunderbirds was made by someone else, and we should not judge Tom DeSanto on that other person's movie.

So I'll hope it turns out well, for him, for fans........and for Logan !!!!!
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #41
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Absolutely right Ernie. I think we all remember Thunderbirds. I'm really hoping that Logan's Run goes more like Xmen. After all, that series is about comic book material. Hopefully Logan's run will aim for he same crowd.

I think I'll keep my sig as id for brevities sake. I also don't include Logan's run cause TDS is probably more involved with the other films.

I hope.

Old September 12th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #42
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Well I know one thing, every time I read about Tom Desanto, he's tagged to a different project. If this keeps up and he's successful, then he might be able to walk right in and grab Galactica and do it right.

But by that time, we will all have to watch it on a Sunday afternoon right after re-runs of murder she wrote and watch it from the comfort of our rooms in and an old age home.

With all due respect to those that like Moore's version, Compared to what we have now, I think the Idea of Boxey being the Commander is an absolute gem. LOL

Logun eats too many beans and ends up on the toilet for days in the new version called ( Loguns Runs )

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #43
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

The book was much better.
I like any idea that brings it closer to the book.
21 year lifelime limit. Francis is really Ballard. No domed city. Sanctuary is Mars.
Oh yeah, and the DS guns are high tech six-shooters.

Cheney Moon for UN president!
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #44
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Darth! Great input.

I found this review at amazon of the original concept that lead to the first movie

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...83046?v=glance

Quote:
You're probably way too familiar with the 1976 epic Sci Fi movie LOGAN'S RUN. Here is the original novel that inspired the book, but it's hardly recognizable as anything other than a similar theme. Yes, there is Logan and Jessica running from the Sandman named Francis in a post-apocalyptic world where life is ended when youth disappears. But here life ends at 21! There are no domed cities, the entire planet is controlled by the megacomputer, and Logan and Jessica encounter far more than they ever did in the movie. They fight for their lives in the Arctic, get caught in a Civil War recreation with androids, and face the wild jungle of Washington DC where lions and snakes prowl the capital city. SANCTUARY is very real, and society is fraying apart from youth tyranny. The book was an obvious reaction to the youth movement and flower power of the 60s. "Don't trust anyone over 30!" taken to the extreme. It's an easy read, and lots of fun! There is talk in Hollywood of a remake of this, so better to read it now because there are rumblings that they want to stick closer to the novel. And why not? The novel spawned two sequels! -
While I beieve fan speculation often leads to fanatacism, I think this perhaps shows how Tom DeSanto may be thinking. He isn't "kiddifying" this. He most probably is being faithful to the original concept of Logan's Run.

Being faithful to an original concept is a good thing.