Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 20th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default For fans of Dark Exodus...

Well, I just found out that my laptop is working just fine....I simply need to get an external monitor for it.

Once I do that, I will continue work on my follow up story for "Battlestar Galactica: Dark Exodus". The treatment for "Battlestar Galactica: Reciprocity" is intact, and I will resume work on it within the week. Hopefully I will be able to get down to writing the first few actual chapters very, very soon.

Hang in there, faithful fans. The sequel is on the way.

Respectfully, and with many thanks,
Martok2112 (Steve Dunlap--author, "Battlestar Galactica: Dark Exodus")
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

Great to hear that you are still writing! I'm anxious to read your sequel

Your friend
Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Keep us posted, General!!

PS - you know our "number"; when you are done, we'll be looking forward to hearing from you!!

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default More on Reciprocity...

Hello, again, oh patient friends,

Well, I am pleased to report that the treatment is coming along quite nicely for "Battlestar Galactica: Reciprocity".

The beginning of the story is very highly detailed...as I am sure you remember that there was still a big problem at the close of "Dark Exodus". The first part of the new story may end up reading like a Clancy-esque thriller in the spirit of Battlestar Galactica. This time, we will get to see the S.E.F (Spaceborne Excursion Force...Earth's new space military arm) in real action.

Also, President Krieger is going to announce a radical proposal to the world leaders...something that Commander Apollo and the others at first are a little concerned about.

Those are just some teasers about what to expect from the sequel to "Dark Exodus".

I hope your mouths are watering in anticipation.

Take care, and stay tuned to this channel for further developments.

Respectfully,
Martok2112 (Steve)
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #5
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thank you for keeping us posted, I can hardly wait to read what you have done!
Keep up the good work!

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #6
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I haven't read Dark Exodus yet, but I plan too....

Maybe a thousand other people have suggested this, but why don't you pitch this to a publishing company. Great anticipation amongst other fans seems to suggest you have something here....what's the worst that can happen ?

Best Wishes,

Ernie90125
ernie90125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Well...I am taking some bold moves right now...

Hello, all again.

I have just written someone in the production aspect of the classic Galactica, hoping that perhaps he can point me in the right direction to get in contact with Glen A. Larson. If I was able to pitch my story to him...and he liked it, well, ya never know. Many people have said that "Dark Exodus" would make an awesome "big screen" epic. When I play the BSG videogame, there are elements I know I can use when I start to pre-visualize the story. As soon as I get a "real" computer again, I will start making these pre-visualizations.

I would love to see "Dark Exodus" go beyond just fanfiction. I know that Richard Hatch is legally obligated not to read outside materials...otherwise, I would try to pitch my "Dark Exodus" story to him, to make it a part of his line of books (per Muffit's kind suggestion). If I cannot get the story pitched to either him or Glen A. Larson as an official part of the classic Galactica universe, then I have a friend who has just started an audio-drama production company. Perhaps he might be interested in making the story into an audio-drama.

I want to help save the classic Galactica universe. My stories, "Dark Exodus" and the upcoming sequel "Reciprocity" are my efforts to that end. Someday soon, I will contribute to CFF. For now, I will have to settle for spinning my wheels with these stories, which I am glad touches the hearts of many Galactica fans.

Ernie, I truly hope you will enjoy "Dark Exodus". I hope that it does for you what the story did for myself, and many of its fans. Let us know whatcha think when you do get to read it.

Hang in there, folks. "Reciprocity" proceedeth at a good pace.

Respectfully, and with much appreciation,
Steve Dunlap (Martok2112)
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Well, I got a reply...

...from the post-productionist involved with classic Galactica. He says that Glen Larson has not replied to any of his emails...so I need to find other ways to try and get a hold of Mr. Larson, or perhaps Mr. DeSanto.

If anyone has any suggestions...I am listening.

Respectfully,
Martok2112 (Steve)
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #9
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I wish I had some suggestions, because as a fellow fanfic author, I'd love to get the same opportunity myself. I have no illusions of seeing anything I've ever written put on film, but hopefully someday the chance for Galactica novels to be published will be the same as it is for the infinite number of Trek novels that have appeared (none belonging to a single consistent universe which allows for the diversity).

Those of us who are part of the Galactica fanfic mailing list, where stories are posted in progress as they are written would love to have you join our group and see what you've done.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #10
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

As someone who has been trying to get original work published, I can tell you not to hold your breath about getting any kind of fanfic published. Trek is unique in that Paramount has given Pocket Books a pretty open license to publish Trek books - but each book must be approved by a Paramount rep.

Universal's BSG book license to iBooks is very restrictive. It's for books penned by Richard Hatch (and a co-author assigned by iBooks). Period. It's also quite expensive. In order for any other author to get published Universal would have to grant an additional license - for more money, of course, if they are even inclined to do so. Given their history.....

This is not to say anyone should stop writing fanfic for BSG. On the contrary, for many of us its the only way TOS has stayed alive; and I know my fanfic story was a wonderful experience to write. And reading Dark Exodus was a genuine joy, Martok.

Perhaps, if you are able to make contact with Larson or his office, Martok, he can at least point you at the right people at Universal to discuss publishing rights.

Good luck!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #11
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg

Universal's BSG book license to iBooks is very restrictive. It's for books penned by Richard Hatch (and a co-author assigned by iBooks). Period. It's also quite expensive. In order for any other author to get published Universal would have to grant an additional license - for more money, of course, if they are even inclined to do so. Given their history.....

I am
Dawg
It's all about the money. It looks like Universal, iBooks, and Richard Hatch have a pretty good set up to monopolize the Battlestar book industry and keep fan fiction just that...unpublished fan fiction. If they have any kind of exclusivity written in their agreement it is a lost cause in the publishing realm. Note: Nothing wrong with what they did. It was in their best interest.

I would see if you can get Dark Exodus in front of Larson. I think Dark Exodus would do much better in the ratings arena then the Desanto proposed Continuation. In addition it is much truer to the spirit of TOS.

I don't know what it cost to get your story copyrighted but you may want to get that done before you hand it to Larson or Desanto.

Old May 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #12
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Getting something copyrighted is easy and free. (If I understand this right, but I believe I am right) What you do is print out a copy of everything, and put on the copyright symbol (a C in a circle) and post it to yourself.

Get it 'to be signed for' and do NOT ever open it. You now have copyright.

It is patenting which costs....That's totally different and would not cover this type of creative effort...

Also, people have mentioned that Richard cannot view fanfiction sent to him. This may actually be for a totally different reason. If he does view other's work, and then writes a book, they could say that he pinched their ideas. By not reading anything, he cannot ever be accused of plagerism of other's fanfic.

It is now policy in the music industry, to never accept a tape of a demo when a hopeful kid gives you one. This is how Bryan Adams got his big break. Sadly this can't happen now as there are so many people who would try to make something up.....
ernie90125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #13
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The thing that's unfortuante about Richard not reading fanfic is he sure could *use* a fanfic author for a new ghostwriter.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #14
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
The thing that's unfortuante about Richard not reading fanfic is he sure could *use* a fanfic author for a new ghostwriter.
I soooooooo agree. I think MARTOK would make the perfect
"GHOSTWRITER" ............ actually I think Martok is the PERFECT WRITER

Larson and Desanto by NOT returning the emails are being WAYYYYYYYYY
shortsighted and CLOSED MINDED by acting this way :uhdrop:
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:58 AM   #15
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Thanks for all the advice and support, my friends...

Hello, all,

Thank you all again for your advice and kind words. I have taken them all to heart, and will try to continue to push for "Dark Exodus"'s advancement somehow. (Very very kind words, everyone...I am honored.)

(BTW, I am watching BSG TOS as we speak)

Well, I have good news for you all regarding the new story. "Reciprocity" chapter One is completed. Although the treatment is still unfinished, I have enough material to start work on several chapters. I am working on Chapter Two right now. Hang in there. I will soon post Chapter One here and at my Yahoo group.

With great humbleness, and thanks to you all,
Martok2112 (Steve Dunlap)
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Chapter Two Completed...

Chapter Two of "Battlestar Galactica: Reciprocity" is completed...Chapter Three is underway.

I am waiting to get enough material together to make a good wealthy post.

Stay tuned,
Martok2112 (Steve Dunlap, author "Battlestar Galactica: Dark Exodus" and "Battlestar Galactica: Reciprocity"