Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old February 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #1
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

Default Jumpgate

I was asked about JG in another forum, Im moving them thread here, because, like a good card game, you have to have it in the right place as not to make the man, jump down your turbo tube.

Unlike all the rest of the arcade type space games out there. JG is the first and only true space like simulator.

THIS IS NOT AN EASY SIMULATOR TO JUST JUMP IN AND FLY

Its based on a liquid filled space, not a vacuum space. The reason for this is that the dynamics of the fight model would have to include retros to slow you down and counter your thrust in any one given direction.

With a liquid filled space you have very limited drag, so it slows you down, after a awhile, depending how fast you are going.

To act as braking thruster, you get a fuel power booster/braking system, that burns a common fuel. Today I ran out of that fuel (was on long range recon) and when I got back to the base station. I hit the walls a few times trying to get into the portal. Normally I make it in very swiftly using the braking thrusters.

Other than that, you go propelling in a straight line until another force acts upon your vessel.

There are 3 races, each have a bunch of different ships, weapons and other goodies. About 90% of the pilots use laser type energy weapons. I come from many years of WWII fighter flying , so I use cannons and chain guns (2 each).

Light moves fast, bullets dont, light does smaller damage, ptojectiles do bigger damage. light uses ships energy (which you seem never to have enough of) projectile weapons dont ( or use way less).

Energy weapons Ive been told are easier to hit with. Projectiles, you need to be learnt or have learned how to use the. You get to guess where the con is going to be and fire there, or there, or maybe over here.

All thruogh known space are "jumpgates" Mechanical points where you can jump your ship form one area to another. The sector you fly in are several hectares (real word) across. Ive never made it from one JG to another in normal space (lots have tried).

You can spend weeks in sector, mining or artifact finding. The only thing out there to rain on your parade are Conflux and other faction pilots.

The 3 factions are about as diverse as they come. I belong to the Quantar, a kind of Birillian (sp) nomad sort of folk. We mine and guard our boarders. If the others come into our area, and they are not allied to us with a non-aggression pact, we either run them off, or kill them. We like our rocks

Conflux:
Nasty space faring nautical marine life. they are ranked C-1 thru C-12. At the point I am at, I hunt the 1-7s and out run the rest.
You think Cylons dont have a sense of humor, these guys hate everyone equally.
Some folks put stealth modules on their ships in hopes the flux dont see them. Others put whistles on, to attract them to their deaths.

Before all the mega on-line space games were out. JG was there, It been around for over 10 years.

It its heyday there were maybe 1000 folks playing worldwide. Now less than 100.
I was talking to some old timers, they said that in the last month, more of us are going back to JG. Seems everyone left, tried the new stuff, and are slowly going back. Hmmmm sounds like BSG to me :-)

You can download it and play off-line, for free, if you join up it cost you 10 starbucks a month.

This is where you can check it out.

http://www.jossh.com/

Id ask questions before you egress, of you may find yourself lost in space!

"Maintain radio silence until you are aboard the Battlestar Pegasus"
Bojay is offline   Reply With Quote