Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old January 21st, 2005, 07:39 PM   #1
TrashTrampoline

Default Willy Wonka movie 2005

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

Johnny Depp as Willy, UGH, Gene Wilder must be in tears.
Check out the trailer . . .
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808403419

Its a far cry from the original movie.
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

It is supposed to be a lot closer to the book, however. And from the trailer I saw, I'm drooling for it.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM   #3
TrashTrampoline

The book was better, but then they always are. I just can't imagine Johnny Depp as Willy.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:15 AM   #4
julix
Bad Email Address

Trash.....you say "a far cry from the original".....isn't that the trend???I mean look at our own BG. Now before anyone gets upset. I am just making the point that when they redo something nowdays it is a far cry from the original. They seem to go out of their way to make it different..."updated" "grittier". This is just another example of the remaking of ideas because it has a built in fan base. Saw the trailer it was dissapointing just from the thought I had of Depp doing it. Perhaps the movie will be ok.
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:19 AM   #5
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashTrampoline
The book was better, but then they always are. I just can't imagine Johnny Depp as Willy.
I saw a pic from this flic. I thought Depp was a woman, could not recognize the character or the actor.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:47 AM   #6
TrashTrampoline

Julix: Your right, But that doeasn't mean I gotta like it. truth is I probably will like it as long as I do the same for it as I've done for BSG. Remember its 2 diff versions of the same concept, kinda like Coke and pepsi, haha

Darth: Thats what I am saying, his cheeks are so gaunty looking he looks sickly. But his performances espacialy for wierd roles are usually un-rivaled. I am sure he will play the hell out of the role, i just an't get buy HIM playing the role. he's SO un gene Wilder.

Anyway: I hope its a great movie as I really like the story, its one of my favs.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I kinda agree with you all... casting Johnny Depp seems quite a bit out of play...

The cast is awesome though, Helena Bonham Carter, Christopher Lee -- and of course, the awesomely incredibly Tim Burton in the pilot's chair. I don't so much mind another take on this story, there have been 2 already that I know of and the Wilder version really struck a chord in people. (And, he's one of my FAVORITE actors!) So, you know, I'm open to another I suppose. I think Mr. Depp is an outstanding actor and should be able to handle just about anything. I just have some big reservations about this particular part. Kinda like casting Jim Carrey in Cable Guy, certainly not out of his ability, but not really in keeping with what you'd expect from him either... (Although his magic in The Majestic made me a true believer in his ability to play a non-comedic, full-fledged dramatic role, and in emotionally far-reaching trim too, I might add).

Mr. Burton seems to be on a little quest for stories he can revive, which is fine. But I believe his very best work are things which are totally original, where he can let his substantial talent thrill us all.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM   #8
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashTrampoline
Julix: Your right, But that doeasn't mean I gotta like it. truth is I probably will like it as long as I do the same for it as I've done for BSG. Remember its 2 diff versions of the same concept, kinda like Coke and pepsi, haha

Darth: Thats what I am saying, his cheeks are so gaunty looking he looks sickly. But his performances espacialy for wierd roles are usually un-rivaled. I am sure he will play the hell out of the role, i just an't get buy HIM playing the role. he's SO un gene Wilder.

Anyway: I hope its a great movie as I really like the story, its one of my favs.
Oh hun...I did not mean you have to like it....I don't like the current trends of "remaking". I was saying it with sarcasim in my voice........guess it didn't come across in type written words.......lol
Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM   #9
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
I
Mr. Burton seems to be on a little quest for stories he can revive, which is fine. But I believe his very best work are things which are totally original, where he can let his substantial talent thrill us all.

i agree. burton's orginal work is far better than most of his remakes. Planet of the Apes was just bad, IMO.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this film. I like Johnny Depp as an actor, and would like to see how he handles the role.

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Spike The Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:40 AM   #10
julix
Bad Email Address

I like Johhny Depp also and am hoping for the best..........the trailer looks a little odd to me still
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:07 PM   #11
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix
I like Johhny Depp also and am hoping for the best..........the trailer looks a little odd to me still
It's Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. You expect it to not be odd?

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM   #12
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike The Cylon
It's Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. You expect it to not be odd?
so true..................
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #13
Alaric
Bad Email Address

I feel like Gene Wilder is throwing up some where.

I feel as though the movie will be good, but a very far cry from the Mr. Wonka we all grew up with. But I can see myself mildly enjoying the movie.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #14
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Oh God, make it stop, make it stop! Let classics be classics and let they stay pure and uncorrupted! Ugh.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #15
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 14th Colony
Oh God, make it stop, make it stop! Let classics be classics and let they stay pure and uncorrupted! Ugh.
In most cases, I agree. But, It's Johnny Depp, so I'm looking forward to it.

Old February 6th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #16
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

I saw the trailer. Looked more campy than dark. One of these days I have to read the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and maybe its sequel.

Tim Burton says he's not remaking the Gene Wilder movie but is doing a more faithful adaptation. Hopefully it'll be better than his faithful adaptation of the novel Planet of the Apes.

I saw a trailer and commercials for the remake of Assault on Precinct 13. Maybe I'll watch it on cable. I like the original by John Carpenter. I like this particular thread (the first post) about it on the IMdB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398712/...hread/14650941
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote