Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #1
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Default Maybe you agree with this guy, maybe you don't...

If you don't, why not write him and tell him so? I did.

leegoldbrg@aol.com

http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...ss_morons.html

Quote:
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
Clueless Morons

Yesterday in Variety, a bunch of clueless morons calling themselves The Colonial Fan Force ran a full-page, color advertisement clamoring for a "Battlestar Galactica" movie starring the original cast.

Millions of fans still dream of seeing the Battlestar Galactica roam the heavens once more in a big screen continuations of the epic story that began in 1978 with the original cast and characters leading a new generation of warriors

Yeah, right... there are millions, no TENS of millions, of fans clamoring for the return of Herb Jefferson, Laurette Sprang, Dirk Benedict, and Richard Hatch (who is not nearly as powerful an actor as the nude guy of the same name on "Survivor"... nor as successful). I suspect the real audience is about 100 fat guys in their 40s, who at this very moment are busily duping all their Heather Thomas videos onto DVD...
Galacticaad
That said, I am always amused by the losers who spend their comic book money on pointless ads like this (or, worse, the ones who publish a synopsis of, or excerpt from, their unsold screenplays). The advertising guys at Variety and the Hollywood Reporter must laugh themselves silly with glee every time one of these suckers comes in.

In the case of the "Battlestar Galactica," the folks at "The Colonial Fan Force" urge the readers of Variety (most of whom are entertainment industry professionals) to write writer/producer Glen A. Larson and Tom DeSanto, a guy who once tried to launch a movie version of the TV show. This shows just how little the people who paid for this ad understand about how the business works...and even sillier when you consider the SciFi Channel is already in the midst of shooting a new "Battlestar Galactica" TV series from NBC/Universal Studios with an all-new cast led by Edward James Olmos.

I suppose we have Gene Roddenberry to blame for this, ever since he cleverly engineered the so-called "viewer campaign" to save "Star Trek" from cancellation. So now we get ads demanding the return of dull supporting characters axed from TV shows (the "Save Marina" campaign on "The L Word" comes to mind) and from the millions of fans still crying over the demise of "Manimal." I'm looking forward to the "Bring Gloria Reuben back to MISSING" ads... maybe the Colonial Fan Force can take up the cause.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't joke. This "Battlestar Galactica" stuff is serious business, as is clear from the Colonial Fan Force website:

We've got to buckle down, and get to work. It's going to be up to each member of fandom to make sure our efforts come to fruition. The CFF and its leadership will remain active in coordinating fan efforts as much as possible, but everyone reading this page has got to accept individual responsibility for making sure that we, as a group, rise together and speak with one voice. None of us can afford to think that "someone else will do it." We've all got to find some time (and some stamps), and make it happen. We've got to make some collective noise.

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Think of all the truly worthy causes that could benefit from the same time, effort and money these morons are devoting with such earnestness to this idiotic pursuit...
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think most people assume that the new show is the entire ballgame. That any hope of a revival went out the window with the new series. And that any attempt by fans is pathetic and hopeless and fanatical.

That sadly is the average Joe's opinion.

Though there is a core group, we few but hardcore that will continue.

I don't think we should bother this guy. We should leave him alone. Any attempt will only convince him he is definitely right, that we are fanatics and losers. Its like tryong to out argue Shawn Hannity on Fox that democrats are smarter.

That guy above has some definite holes in his logic born out ignorance of some facts. But his opinion is the same opinion the majority of the world has. That sadly is a grim fact.

And frankly, this guy don't matter. Has anyone ever heard about this guy before? Would we even care about him if not for this one article he wrote? Course not. He's just another schmuck like the rest of us webmasters. He doesn't matter.

We have a good chance at a movie starting up in maybe 2008 or so. But right now I can't see a way to convince people without Larson or DeSanto doing an announcement.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #3
"T"
Shuttle Pilot

What happens in 2008?

Dont you think thats going to be a little silly if the New Series hits good reviews / Ratings?

Why bring another BSG on to the stage if teh new one picks the torch up and carries on the saga of the Colonials if a little differently to what happened in 1978?

-"T"-
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

If you want my honest opinion:

I don't agree with him but will not waste my breath or time on him.

1)Fandom should be commended on the job done in getting the ad in the first place. makes me proud.

2) Fandom could have done nothing but cried like GIRLIE-MEN, we did do something. "Did we make a difference?" Can't say until the big screen version comes out.

3) Our chances might be slim but as the man said, "It will be FUN!!!"

4)CFF rocks!!! Well done!!!
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by T
What happens in 2008?

Dont you think thats going to be a little silly if the New Series hits good reviews / Ratings?

Why bring another BSG on to the stage if teh new one picks the torch up and carries on the saga of the Colonials if a little differently to what happened in 1978?

-"T"-
I think T just proved my point

You have to first convince people that the new show isn't the only game in town.

Old October 18th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

T if you haven't seen these yet, take a look at these theads.

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=4726
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=6614

For more of an answer I need my own thread...

Old October 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Bald and Fat:

I am six feet in height, weight 159 pounds, and have all of my hair (long at the moment, Colonial Warrior style).
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Antelope

I'm with Kingfish.

He isn't worth your time. He's got some problem and it isn't Battlestar Galactica fans.

If you feel like writing stick to the letter writing campaign.

I don't know if the ad will do any good but it didn't hurt and the people behind it certainly aren't morons.
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #9
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Bald and Fat:

I am six feet in height, weight 159 pounds, and have all of my hair (long at the moment, Colonial Warrior style).
I used to be fat...until I lost fifty pounds (Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect food for weight loss). My weight now varies between 146 and 152. Plus I'm seventeen, and not yet bald.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Tag,

I wouldn't waste the keystrokes on that, uh, person. He's so full of himself, it's almost laughable. He almost reminds me of another celebrated writer of self-proclaimed fame, whom many of us know and would rather forget. I won't mention the name, though, he might want to sue us, ......., again.

Suggestion: If you printed the article, use it to line the bird cage, face up. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, **** to ****
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

The article does suck.... but it isn't worth the time to write to him. He obviously didn't get the reason we put the ad in Variety - not to generate letters so much, but to put something out to the entertainment professsials that there is interest out there for a continuation film. Enough interest to organize a fund drive, create and ad and pay to have it posted.

Tom is right, it is the "average joe" opinion.... This guy would probably wind up in a mental institution when he heard about the 300 thou that the Scapers raised to produce their own commercial...!

Who cares anyway? We didn't do it for people like this - he's as bad as the posters at AICN (or worse).

No skin off my nose - he only makes himself look bad by claiming that he's a journalist, but puts such an opinionated spin on the article that you can tell he's got an axe to grind....

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #12
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Well now, seems someone got a bit of pee in his poast toasties this morning.

Actually if anyone is clueless it's this individual. God the things i could tell him.

hehe.

Old October 19th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon

Actually if anyone is clueless it's this individual. God the things i could tell him.

hehe.

Don -

We'll just have to save the little pisher's e-mail addy for when that time comes....

I love nothing more than saying "I told you so" to someone that really deserves it!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #14
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon

hehe.

Shoot! the things I could tell him are enough to show him to be way beyond moronic in his opinion. And I've been around only a blip of time compared to Titon.

Tom DeSanto told us that the the new series couldn't hurt our dreams of a continuation--only continued interest in the original series mattered. Glen Larson told us that the new series being successful could only help us. And Ron Moore supported the Colonial Fan Force. "T" I read that as none of the main players are terribly concerned about the 2 stories coexisting. 2008 sounds fine to me. The Galactica cruising across the big screen to Stu's theme is worth waiting for.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #15
Ravishol
Bad Email Address

I've been around since 98 but only lurk anymore. I appreciate Titon's optisim but I hate to admit that this fellow may be right.

I would love to be proven wrong.
Ravishol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #16
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravishol
I've been around since 98 but only lurk anymore. I appreciate Titon's optisim but I hate to admit that this fellow may be right.

I would love to be proven wrong.

When the big screen Larson/DeSanto version hits the screen the nonbelievers will all be proven wrong.
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #17
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Ravishol... the ad may never make or have made a difference. Sure. But we, as a fanbase, have sent a message regarding what we want by means of a publication that is read by the people who have the power to bring it to us. No more, and no less. We have demonstrated that we are still willing to spend money on TOS. No more, no less. We never expected anyone to turn to page 19, smack their head, and say "Why didn't I think of this before! Get production on the phone!!!"

Anyone who believed that was our goal is... welll... a clueless moron.
Old October 19th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #18
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

to be honest Tag, I think your website is more effective than the ad.

Old October 19th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #19
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Tag,

I wouldn't waste the keystrokes on that, uh, person. He's so full of himself, it's almost laughable. He almost reminds me of another celebrated writer of self-proclaimed fame, whom many of us know and would rather forget. I won't mention the name, though, he might want to sue us, ......., again.
I must have missed this lawsuit. I don't suppose you could PM me the name, and information about the suite (I take it this should be common knowledge by now).
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #20
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

There was NO lawsuit, just a threat of one.

The name is best forgotten and in your case, Mustex, not knowing is a blessing.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #21
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Wow!

I just visited Lee Goldberg's website to read some of the comments left for him after his scathing article concerning the CFF effort... All I can say is:

Well done!

There were some extremely well-worded and well thought out replies over there. I doubt that if I had chosen to respond to the article that I could have done better myself.

I don't think that anyone changed his mind, but I wonder if he'll write another article that attacks a group of people in the same way again? Probably not!

Good job people!

Best,
Bryan (the over 40, not bald, not fat fan of the original Battlestar Galactica)

Old October 19th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #22
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I have four words for this guy:

Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #23
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

To be honest... I asid that replying to this guy is a waste of time. That any atempt to reply would be met ith antagonism. That he would see any response as proof he is right.

Old October 19th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #24
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Though I'm in agreement with Tom, I'm glad that those who got licks in were well-worded. OK, let's face it, half the folks here could write something more eloquent and coherent than 90% of the so called web-journalists out there, so there's that pride factor that is going to react to anything disagreeing with him. I'd not worry about feeding the fish on this one.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #25
julix
Bad Email Address

I just had to respond couldn't help it tried not to really....tell me what you guys think if you read it....It is still hard for me to write...........
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #26
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
To be honest... I said that replying to this guy is a waste of time. That any atempt to reply would be met with antagonism. That he would see any response as proof he is right.

That is my take on it as well. This man is a shock jock like tom leykis or howard stern he just says $hit to get people worked up and upset. People don't say such incindiary things unless they get off on starting something he's just itching for a fight so I'm not going to give him my little pattuty to whack around thank you very much I'll save that for nice thwackings
Sincerely,
The fat bald chick

I don't know about the rest of you but I flush $hit down the toilet
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #27
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Tom DeSanto told us that the the new series couldn't hurt our dreams of a continuation--only continued interest in the original series mattered. Glen Larson told us that the new series being successful could only help us.And Ron Moore supported the Colonial Fan Force."
This is seriously important to remember!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
T" I read that as none of the main players are terribly concerned about the 2 stories coexisting. EXACTLY!!! 2008 sounds fine to me. The Galactica cruising across the big screen to Stu's theme is worth waiting for.

Jewels
Let's be the best durn Hosts and Hostesses out there, meet and greet folks lets be the honey that attracts the bees
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:08 PM   #28
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Ignore this
Old October 24th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #29
julix
Bad Email Address

I was just going back through this thread and came upon something else that was very distrubing to me.....Here is a post from Lee Goldberg.

You'll notice that, with the exception of the STAR TREK and NAKED GUN movies, that none of the many other movies-based-on-TV series that have followed have starred the original cast, nor have any that have been announced for development

But that's not the issue that makes the VARIETY ad so stupid or the people behind it so...how to put this nicely?...naive and wrong-headed.

These theatrical remakings of TV series are basically trading on the name identification of a hit series to create a new movie franchise, which is why they keep the name but cast movie stars in the roles. The original franchise is the selling point, not the actors. (Which is why I SPY didn’t have Bill Cosby, it had Eddie Murphy, and why WILD WILD WEST had Will Smith and not Robert Conrad. And why the new MIAMI VICE isn’t going to star Don Johnson or Philip Michael Thomas…but Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx, instead).

These movies are intended to be blockbusters. And the blockbuster imperative doesn’t extend to nostalgia-friendly casting, with the exception of cameos (ie Patrick MacNee as invisible ghost in AVENGERS or Mark Goddard with one line in LOST IN SPACE) as a sop to the fans.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA has been done…as miniseries. The franchise value is already being mined. And it's highly doubtful that people will flock to the theatres just to see Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and company.

On a whole different level, the ad itself was wronghead, directed at an audience of writers, producers, directors, and studio heads who aren’t about to write letters to Glen Larson or Tom DeSanto.

The fans threw $12,000 away on an ad targeted at the wrong audience for their message (the message itself was wrong-headed, but I will get to that later, too). They humiliated their cause in the eyes of the very Industry that the fans were hoping to impress. Industry professionals who see ads like that in Variety aren’t impressed (any more than they are buy the struggling screenwriter who spends the money on a full-page ad to reprint pages of his unsold screenplay). The ad simply reinforced every preconception Hollywood has about fandom. It certainly did for me.

(On a side note, even if Glen Larson was dying to do a BSG movie, he does not have the clout to get a $100 million feature off the ground. You will notice he is only tangentially involved in the features in works based on his other TV series. So writing letters to him isn’t going to persuade a studio to dump money into the revival of a franchise that is already being mined on television, if in a “re-imagined version).

The ad in Cinescape, however, was also money poorly spent, though less obviously so. I’ll get to the reasons why in a moment.

You want to revive BSG? I think it’s a lost cause, especially since the valuable aspect of the franchise is already being mined on TV, but here’s some constructive advice:

Investing money in trade ads is useless. It’s better to use that money to organize a grass-roots campaign to make people aware of the BSG DVD and get them to buy it. On your website, make it look more businesslike and less fannish.

The trick is not to convince the powers that be that there are 100,000 absolute diehard fans who will do anything to get BSG back as a feature. You need to convince them there are actually tens of millions who have at least a passing interest in seeing BSG brought back. You want to spend money? Spend it on raising awareness among non-devotees of BSG. Get a groundswell of interest in the show itself. Try to push the DVD on people who aren’t familiar with the series. This is how it worked with THE NAKED GUN (on video) and later THE FAMILY GUY and FIREFLY, which were revived after cancellation because a lot of people saw the shows on home video and fell in love with them. Those video sales convinced the studios there was a lucrative market still out there.

The only thing that will convince a studio (or financiers) to make a movie is to be persuaded by hard facts and hard cash that there is still MORE money to be made Slavish devotion by a handful of fans… even if there are 100,000 of them… won’t bring in nearly enough money to justify a film.

Bottom line: Expose people to the show, not to your fandom. Expose studios to sales, not examples that some diehard devotees exist.

Which brings me to the website the advertisement directs readers to. The design and writing on the website only serves to confirm every Industry professional and non-fan’s immediate assumptions from the ad: This isn’t about the quality and merits of a TV show… it’s about a handful of diehard fans who can’t let go and have no real-world perspective.

The more you can do to NOT make this about the fans--- and about THE SHOW, the better chance your campaign has of succeeding. But you’ve sabotaged yourself, and your campaign, from the outset… by crafting the wrong message and sending that wrong message to the wrong people. You need to rethink your image (the name "Colonial Fan Force," for example), your message, and the best way to present it to the people you need to reach…

Which isn’t the studios.

It’s the viewers.

Posted by: Lee Goldberg | October 22, 2004 11:42 AM

I am not sure what to think of this my friends, but I can tell you after reading this I felt very dishartened. I was thinking of all the movies and shows Hollywood has redone like Lost in Space and Brady Bunch and etc...and It was just for the purpose of cashing in on a already made audience. I feel like reality has hit me and I feel very sad........what do you guys think? BTW I still feel CFF was a very admirable and noble effort and I am glad and proud to be a donator. I am not taking anything away from CFF.......
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #30
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default Julix....

Julix -

You mean that dog is still chewing on that bone....? What a loser! Don't pay him any mind - we all have learned that there are people out there that love to push buttons to get attention. He's probably enjoying all the "interaction" from our side of the street - it's probably the most traffic that site has had in a long time!

I can understand why it bothers you - but Lee Goldberg is just an a**hole with a website. It's not like he's a big player in Hollywood or anything - if he was, he wouldn't have the time to bicker with us bald, old timers sitting in our basements waiting for Galactica to be ressurected as a film franchise.

Bottom line - who cares what Lee Goldberg thinks? I sure as frack don't..... Let him rant on, he's the only one who's listening!

Best,
Bryan