Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 10th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #1
Antelope

Default The Apprentice

Anybody out there watch Trump's "The Apprentice"?

My wife and I loved watching that show but have come to believe after the last two episodes that the show is rigged. What do you think if you watch it?

During the last two episodes they "fired" the two people who had obviously been the strongest throughout the show---Troy and Amy. Both were fired based on things unrelated to the task given. In the case of Amy they fired her based on a full days of interview performance and then showed less than 2 minutes of the "poor performance" in the show.

Two episodes were decided by things that occurred at the last 2-3 minutes of an entire day. In both cases it reversed the outcome of victory. In the case of the second reversal it gave the producers the ability to manipulate the "love" story aspect of the show outside the task given.

The character of Omarosa who at first I believed was a b--ch I now believe is on the Trump payroll and acting out a role. During this weeks episode the things Omarosa did can only be interpreted as intentionally sabotaging Kwame. As the only person who seemed to like her throughout the show you are left to believe her actions are only done to create drama in the show. Instead of a b--ch I now see a good actress.

Altough I think this was the best "reality" show on TV, as the blatant manipulation becomes too obvious it will probably hurt "The Apprentice 2". Already my wife went from a rabid viewer to one not concerned as her belief in the reality of the contest became destroyed.
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I don't watch the show, but I wish he would say "You are the weakest link, you're fired!"
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #3
bsg1fan1975
Major

I didn't watch it as I think that there is nothing real about the show. Everything is already determined.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
I didn't watch it as I think that there is nothing real about the show. Everything is already determined.
Same HERE .........................

The show seems to me to be a cross between the weakest link and the MOLE.

I prefer reality to that stuff :
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #5
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I have caught it a couple of times when nothing else was on & can't stand the character of Omarosa. After the last ep I thought she might be a "mole" for Trump, but then I heard she had been fired three or four times in the last few years, so maybe she is as stupid as she appears.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #6
cranky1c
Warrior

Hmmmm.....

I've been watching the show fairly regularly. I'm not convinced it's rigged, but it's impossible to know what "reality" is with any of these shows given the production requirements. They have to edit a pretty sizable volume of footage, covering multiple particiapnts, into 40-45 minutes of screen time per episode. This gives plenty of opportunity for creative editing in the service of "drama."

While the characters on The Apprentice seem like more sympathetic people compared to other reality show contestants, you gotta wonder about the people who volunteer for this stuff.
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1c
Hmmmm.....

I've been watching the show fairly regularly. I'm not convinced it's rigged, but it's impossible to know what "reality" is with any of these shows given the production requirements. They have to edit a pretty sizable volume of footage, covering multiple particiapnts, into 40-45 minutes of screen time per episode. This gives plenty of opportunity for creative editing in the service of "drama."

While the characters on The Apprentice seem like more sympathetic people compared to other reality show contestants, you gotta wonder about the people who volunteer for this stuff.
Very Good Points Cranky

Keep posting ............you have an exceptionally keen mind
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:16 AM   #8
bsg1fan1975
Major

i just find that reality shows are keeping another good show from being developed and aired!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #9
cranky1c
Warrior

I agree. I'm not in any entertainment business, but I read that these reality shows are comparatively cheap to produce and bring in a lot of add revenue, making them perfect money makers for the networks. Why hire writers when you can bring on unknowns and throw them together in situations where the natural course of group process will bring out conflict and closeness? I only hope that, sooner or latter, this reality show fad will become so much a stereotype of itself that it will become one of those things we laugh about watching in the 00's. Sorta like "Mork and Mindy."

Thinking of nothing in particular, some reality shows I'd like to see would include:

Survivor: Wallmart the day after Christmas
Survivor: Medical Research Volunteer ("The surgical team has spoken.")
Fear Factor: Chernobyle
Average Jane: (A male model has to choose among a cast of women who didn't walk out of a victoria secret cataloge and not act like a jerk about it.)
The Apprentice, John Gotti "You're Whaked."

Obviosly a slow day in my neck of the woods.....
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #10
cranky1c
Warrior

So, anyone watch the finale?
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #11
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I am sad to say that I did, but I fell asleep before the winner chose which job he wanted. Anyone have the answer? Oh, and I knew Omarosa was just an idiot and not a mole.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #12
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
I am sad to say that I did, but I fell asleep before the winner chose which job he wanted. Anyone have the answer? Oh, and I knew Omarosa was just an idiot and not a mole.
He picked the job overseeing the Trump Tower project in Chicago.

On the whole mole or fixed issue:

It is very true that most conspiracy theories are the result of our unwillingness to believe people are really as stupid as they seem to appear and that random coincidence is really random. Of couse every once in a while conspiracies do exist.

Now that the show is over here is a few things that our either a result of the show being fixed or proof that human stupidity and random coincidence are great for television drama.

1. Sam was the worse person on one or argueable two episodes where he survived the board room. :laugh:

2. Omaraso was obviously the worse person on one episode where she survived the board room.

3. Once it came clear that two of the candidates had some kind of relationship that was going beyond simple friendship both candidates were never fired until the second to the last episode. At that point both candidates continued to be in the show until the end in other roles. The one episode where they were teamed as a two person team the "reward" was perfect for a couple in "love". Trump seemed to have no problem getting their relatives on short notice to create the "meet the family scenario". Both were fired "together".

4. Two projects that each covered a full day were decided by events driven by people who were not candidates in the final two minutes of each project. These final minute events reversed the team outcomes in both cases.

5. Kwame picked both Omarosa and Heidi to be on his team although previously in the show it was shown that neither can get along with each other.

6. Omarosa appeared to intentionally sabotage and lie to Kwame in the final project even though she knew full well that she was being filmed and that her actions would be revealed.

7. Troy was fired on a day when he outperformed Kwame, something he had done throughout the entire show.

8. Of the two projects offered the winner one happened to be in the winner's home town, how very convienent.

9. Amy was fired as a result of her "interviews" after a stellar performance in all projects. Less then two minutes of her supposedly poor performance was ever aired on television.

I don't know whether any of the candidates were in on rigging the show. I do think that some people were kept longer than they would otherwise because of their comedic value (Sam) and drama value (Omarosa). Omarosa did a good job marketing herself reguardless of whether that was her intention or not. I heard her b---h personality appears to be paying off well financially. I think one of the last minute changes in winning team was lucky but two does raise an eyebrow.

In my opinion Troy was the best candidate and should have been against Amy in the final episode.

Donald Trump originally inherited his initial wealth. He was basically bankrupt a few years back because he was overextended. Only because the loans he had were not secured by collateral saved him financially. This is something that could never save a "regular" person. A large amount of Trump's non-real estate ventures ultimately fail. His Taj Mahal is about is be seized by bankers if he doesn't find a buyer. He is losing his a-- in the gambling industry. He had a great wife, Ivana Trump but let a gold digger (Marla Maples) manipulate him into ruining his family. After she bore him a kid to milk the child support money amazingly their relationship soured. Donald Trump---You're fired!
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #13
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1c
I agree. I'm not in any entertainment business, but I read that these reality shows are comparatively cheap to produce and bring in a lot of add revenue, making them perfect money makers for the networks. Why hire writers when you can bring on unknowns and throw them together in situations where the natural course of group process will bring out conflict and closeness? I only hope that, sooner or latter, this reality show fad will become so much a stereotype of itself that it will become one of those things we laugh about watching in the 00's. Sorta like "Mork and Mindy."

Thinking of nothing in particular, some reality shows I'd like to see would include:

Survivor: Wallmart the day after Christmas
Survivor: Medical Research Volunteer ("The surgical team has spoken.")
Fear Factor: Chernobyle
Average Jane: (A male model has to choose among a cast of women who didn't walk out of a victoria secret cataloge and not act like a jerk about it.)
The Apprentice, John Gotti "You're Whaked."

Obviosly a slow day in my neck of the woods.....
I heard the same thing about production cost versus ad revenue. It's the same reason we have entertainment tonight and the various news magazine shows. The only thing actor based shows have going for them is they can make money as reruns if they are good which is something you can't really do with "reality" television.

I love your list of potential shows. :laugh: Personally I wanted to see a survivor type show with no immunity challenges and no food or water given to the candidates by the production team. Film them for thirty days and just let them quit or be kicked out by a doctors exam if they look like they really won't survive. After a month do the surviver tribal council deal each week. All of a sudden who can produce for everybody will be a lot more important than "office politics".