Old August 29th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Question Trek HD DVD Release.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082806

Now then... this next story will definitely pique the interest of anyone who loves Star Trek. This past weekend, I had the pleasure of participating in Mark Altman's panel discussion at World-Con in Anaheim (sponsored by CFQ magazine), where we discussed the future of the Star Trek franchise. One of the things that came up is the eventual release of Trek titles in high-definition.

I've posted here on The Bits before that Star Trek: The Original Series (which was shot and finalized on film) is currently being given new high-def transfers by CBS for future HD syndication, as well as eventual release in the new HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats (click this link and slide down a few paragraphs for that story). Enterprise was shot on film also (for its first three seasons) and HD too (for the fourth season), and it was post-produced in HD from the beginning, so it's ready to go now. We also know that all of the feature films are being remastered for HD release. And as Star Trek: The Animated Series was shot on film as well, I suspect that it too was remastered in HD for the upcoming DVD release.

Now... going into the panel this weekend, I was wondering about The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. All three of those shows were post-produced and edited in 4x3, standard definition video... but the episodes were all shot on film. CBS could, in theory, go back to the original film elements for those episodes, re-transfer them all in high-definition and re-do all of the special effects with new CGI at high-def resolution. The result would be rebuilt HD versions of the episodes. All that would be required is the will to do it and the money to get it done right. This possibility was discussed during the panel.

So here's where it gets even more interesting. In doing some digging with our industry sources over the last few days... I've found out something that's going to come as a major surprise to a lot of you. It might be one of the best kept secrets in Hollywood in recent years. Never mind The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager: It turns out that CBS Video, as part of their high-definition remastering of The Original Series, IS giving a lot of the special effects shots a new CG face-lift! Specifically, they're re-doing all of the spaceship shots. This to me is a very exciting idea... in principle. As anyone who saw the Mirror Universe episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise will tell you, the old TOS ships look awfully damn good in new CG. The replicated TOS sets, the original ship designs... rather than looking dated, they actually hold up VERY well by today's standards. Re-doing the effects will give new life to The Original Series and could help it appeal to a new, younger generation of fans. Unlike, say... the Star Wars films... the original versions of these episodes will always be preserved in GREAT remastered quality on DVD. And it would be extremely cool if CBS would release BOTH versions of the episodes on HD-DVD/Blu-ray, such that you can choose which version you wish to watch... the original or the new enhanced version.

Here's my concern about this... I've learned that, rather than going with a proven effects house, CBS has chosen to do the new CG work in-house. One hopes that they've got someone with REAL Trek effects experience and knowledge involved in the effort... and they they're taking care to preserve the look and feel of the original shots. There's also the concern over whether CBS will re-frame the 1.33:1 aspect ratio series in 1.78:1 for HD presentation. I tried contacting CBS and their DVD distributor, Paramount, on this subject last week, but there was basically no comment. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but cross your fingers in the meantime. Any way you slice it, however, this is a very interesting development. By the way, if anyone at CBS and Paramount DOES want to discuss this issue now... you know where to find me.

As Spock might say... "Fascinating." Stay tuned...
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Bijou88

I am fine with the idea of updating the special effects. I think the fans would be upset if they started saying that the original versions of the episodes do not exist anymore. In the end, there will be room for both versions. In a way, the new versions of the series will be fan wish fulfillment. Before the movies or the spin off shows, Trek fans were desperately wishing for more of the original Star Trek. Now we will have it. I just hope that they will eventually release these "new " episodes on DVD and not just HD-DVD (blue ray or whatever they call it). If it will be only HD-DVD, I will be very irate.

Anyway, There are lots of episodes I really can't wait to see:

1. The Doomsday Machine. This one will rock in cgi!

2. Balance of terror. The Battle should be cool.

3. Mudd's Women. Chasing Mudd through the asteroid field should be very impressive. Think of "The empire strikes back" or "Attack of the clones", just not as acrobatic.

4. Charlie X. We will finally get to see the Antares. I have always been curious about what it looked like.

5. Arena. Will the Gorn be CGI?

6. Space Seed. I expect great shots of the Boteny Bay

7. A Taste of Armageddon. The city shots of Eminar 7 should be impressive.

8. Catspaw. The true form of the aliens should be interesting. At least the strings will be gone.

9. Journey to Bable. The orion ship will be much more impressive. The battle should be groovy too.

10. The Immunity Syndrome. What will the cgi version of the space amoeba look like?

11. A private little war. CGI Mugatu anyone?

12. The Ultimate Computor. This is another one that should rock! A fleet of TOS era Federation starships in digital glory!

13. The Tholian Web. The effects were great the first time around. How will they top it this time?

14. The Paradise Syndrome. The Enterprise vs the giant asteroid. where is Bruce Willis when we need him?

14. Elaan of Troyius. Another great battle that should prove interesting.

Well I will be watching with anticipation.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

http://web.mac.com/drdochterman/iWeb...D/VFXonly.html

The doomsday machine
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Galactifan
Warrior

What a crock of crap! It's George Lucas' vision all over again..."we can fix all the problems now." This is just another piss-poor attempt at Paramount trying to cash in on the best Trek franchise due to all of Paramounts recent Trek failures. Let me guess...when the original Trek series is finally released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray I'm sure it will be this newly "corrected" version and the original versions won't exist anymore. I'm sooooo disgusted with all this CGI crap. UGH! If it ain't broken DON'T FIX IT!!! UUUUGGGGHHH!!!
Galactifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Bijou88

Is this all about money? Yes. Paramount is trying to keep the original series viable for many young people who have never known Science Fiction without CGI. They have come to expect glossy special effects. The original series effects, while impressive for 1966-1969, seem rather basic today.

I don't mind as long as they keep the original series. The new whoopti-do editions can be enjoyed as a expanstion of the original episodes. They can never be a replacemant for the original series.
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Trek promos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k2dJDXMDBK8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVdrA_DkqnI

Season 2 promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5YCACHWO4Y
The trouble with tribbles

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3P_obsQULM