Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 24th, 2003, 07:26 AM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default To Watch or Not To Watch

I recently read a post, over at Skiffy, by Newt. He brought up some very good points. I have been thinking much along the same lines for some time now even though I have publicly stated that I will not watch the damn thing. I really DON'T want to watch it. It truly makes me sick what has been done to the property by Hammer, Eick, and Moore. They can spin all they want about the new approach. Plain and simple, their new approach SUCKS!! I could go point-by-point about the inadequacies in Moore's script but, it's all been said before. Suffice it to say that Moore has NOT DONE ONE THING to advance the story or to add value to the franchise. In fact, what he has done runs the risk of ruining the franchise. I can just picture the uninformed Original Series fan watching the mini and saying ?? Also, there is no guarantee that the much-heralded NEW audience will be sufficiently impressed with Moore's vision to generate any type of support for a series. So, where does that leave us?

Where I am, currently, is at a crossroads. I agree with Newt's assessment that if we are to present an argument against the mini, we need to have the facts in front of us and they DO need to be first-hand. However, if we DO watch it for the purposes of critiquing it, does that play into Skiffy's hand, in any way? After all, we would be watching it. On one hand, I am still disgusted with the entire situation and don't want to do anything that will, in any way, justify what Skiffy has done; on the other, if I am to critique it, I need to be doing so from a primary source (me), no second-hand perspective.

For Newt's complete post, check the URL:

http://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?aid=5152

Does anyone feel the same way? I would appreciate any thoughts you would like to share.

BST/MC (Momentarily Confused) :confused:
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I will not tell you what to do. Each individual must decide that on his/her own.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #3
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Clearly the issue is a cleft stick. To watch is to appear to support, to not watch leaves us with little knowledge to work with.

My solution, watch and or record it.
Make lots of notes.

The after math of the airing is where the rubber will meet the road. If little is said SciFi is free to say what it will. Bad reviews are all we have left, but those can only be written if we watch and record. From the recordings we can extract detailed information against which it will be nearly impossible for SciFi to defend the show.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

I say we assign one person as the official 'watcher' who can post a detailed report here, and the rest don't watch so as not to give them any more viewing numbers.

I think Two-Brained Cylon would be a good choice- he's knowledgeable, literate, and has already done various reviews.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 02:18 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Maybe we should all watch.
Old August 24th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

If some of us are going to watch, they should be the people least likely to be counted when the ratings are calculated.

They should be people who can both analyze unemotionally and review it from a fan perspective.

Two-Brained would be the ideal choice, but it's got to be a personal decision for whomever is going to take on that chore.

IF (and I do mean IF) I were to watch it, it would be only to further our cause - the production of a continuation of the real Battlestar Galactica.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #7
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

The answer's simple. If you want to watch it (which is entirely your perogative), TAPE IT, then watch it.

Peter (brain the size of a planet... grumble grumble...)
Old August 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #8
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Oh, sure, Peter. Make it simple.

I wanted it more difficult.

Leave it to a Limey.....

>sigh<

*Dawg certainly hopes Peter is not offended by being called a Limey, since Dawg is just kidding around. Mrs. Dawg just peered in over my shoulder and said it's an insult - is it?*

(Just keep in mind that if you're hooked up to something that reports what you're watching, it'll report what channel you're taping.)

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old August 24th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #9
The Blue Mule
Warrior

I Will NOT watch! Not even on video or DVD.

I still can't believe some of you are considering to watch it.

I'll never support Moore, Hammer, Eick, or the SCI FI babble!

They Punched us ALL in the Face, and now you wanna be curious, and see what it is they don't care if you watch in the first place?

They ARE raping OUR show, dont you care? Dont give in, this is the time we have to come together, and support eachother.

If you watch now and talk about it, Moore and the other trash WIN hands down. They'll know that you gave in and will look at us as weak, and smile a big smug smirk. God it burns me up just thinking about it.

Again I will not watch.

They BLEW IT WITH ME! And they dont care about Me or YOU.

Richard E. Kranz
Old August 24th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by peter noble
Peter (brain the size of a planet... grumble grumble...)
I can see that modesty is a strong suit with you, eh, Peter? :laugh:
Sleep now
They are calling

Old August 24th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #11
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Mule
I Will NOT watch! Not even on video or DVD.

I still can't believe some of you are considering to watch it.

I'll never support Moore, Hammer, Eick, or the SCI FI babble!

They Punched us ALL in the Face, and now you wanna be curious, and see what it is they don't care if you watch in the first place?

They ARE raping OUR show, dont you care? Dont give in, this is the time we have to come together, and support eachother.

If you watch now and talk about it, Moore and the other trash WIN hands down. They'll know that you gave in and will look at us as weak, and smile a big smug smirk. God it burns me up just thinking about it.

Again I will not watch.

They BLEW IT WITH ME! And they dont care about Me or YOU.

Richard E. Kranz

Rich,

Thanks for the clarity. You ARE right. Just talking about it in terms of a "first-person-account" WILL be a victory for them, even if it is taped and viewed later. The only reason that I was considering, repeat considering, watching it, was to critique it first-hand. Then, after further consideration and a reminder by Dawg, I realized that I wouldn't be viewing it objectively. For me, it would be a piece of trash at the beginning and a day-old piece of trash at the end.

With that in mind, I've decided to spare myself the grief . I can comfortably go back to my original stance -- I WILL NOT WATCH IT!!

BST

PS -- I did like the idea of possibly prevailing upon TwoBrain to watch and review it, for those of us committed to not watching it. He is fair and, I believe, would be able to present an impartial viewpoint.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old August 24th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #12
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
PS -- I did like the idea of possibly prevailing upon TwoBrain to watch and review it, for those of us committed to not watching it. He is fair and, I believe, would be able to present an impartial viewpoint.
Yeah, of course you're right, BST - but do we have the right to ask him to put himself through it?

I am
Dawg

P.S. I have no intention of watching it, either - I was treating this as an exercise in debate.

Me? Watch this? Heh. HehHeh. HehHehHeh.

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #13
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

If you do watch it, and your tv set is counted, then I would ask that you watch not the first airing that night.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #14
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Sorry guys about my post, but we must not let them win any victories. Any. I mean if you can sleep at night after having watched it, then your a better man than I am. Me I am sick of Hollywood Sci FI Trash. They Ruined a show that I have been personally defending from calous and ignorant people (in person many of them NYC film and animation Producers), since it premiered. I dont have that morbid curiosity in seeing this show,becasue I already know its not in the direction that I think it needs to go in, in order for it to be truly magnificent, and erase the stigma of a starwars wanna be "Cheesy" show.

Also Just my opinion: "Two Brain does not speak for me."

I know I am in a minority of minorities on this board, and this is the only Galactica board I come to and socialize. So im sure any advice, rant, fight, or what ever will be taken with a grain of salt. Sorry if you think this is an attack, it isnt, i just do not care for the current approach for BSG,even the Larson/Desanto project. Desanto to me is just a lesser of two evils. Moore/Desanto. We deserve better film makers to handle BSG,someone who can create a mature yet Epic approach that can kill off the Galactica detractors,delight exsisting fans, and if THEIR lucky create new fans. Just like it did way back in 1978.
I'll be quiet now.

PS THIS IS A GREAT PLACE, Im GLAD THAT IT's HERE!

Rich
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #15
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Blue Mule who would you want to see in charge of a BG production? Just curious.

Paul
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #16
The Blue Mule
Warrior

LOL now im on the spot, and im having stage fright, or Reply Fright!

Its funny, I dream about a 4 hour motion picture for the theater almost daily,i play classical music and soundtracks, to get into specific scenes.
Now Im mute. LOL.

Oh well I can always pick the people I'd like to helm BSG later. But We need real film makes, people who have a love for making motion pictures, and want to tell stories, not just hollywood yes men.

In my minds eye Galactica is dark, and needs a Lord of the Rings type treatment(Thats a good start), Epic yet never loose sight about what makes it important. The Characters, the race of people from all over thrown together to try to survive. Its dark to be certain, but the light comes frm the characters humanity towards adversity.

Sorry Im babbling.
What Galactica needs is filmmakers that wont just belt out another "Bad guy, good guy DeathStar big bang ending, shove it on DVD now its finished" story. Or even worse a Story that is so Introverted that non fans would just ignore. All the Next generation films are like this in my opinion, they call it non cheesy,Grey sci fi, I call it Booring.

There is a happy medium, and that's taking BSG and making it serious and bold. When the audience see's that what they are watching is palusable and is treating them with respect they get caught up with the story, they get caught up in the character drama, it makes the audience identify with your characters good or bad, then when you put the characters in the fire(the real character drama), watch your audience squirm. They love it. They com back for more.

Anyway If i was doing Galactica it would be a 4 hour epic like The Ten Commandment or Ben Hur,Lawance of Arabia,Judgment at Nuremburg. It would take us on a journey that streches decades,I'd start the story in the past before the cylons ever laid "eye" on a colonists,we would move into the current time of the fleet(The Continutation) searching in vain for Earth, watching our current Heros fade away, then move into the far future and see what can happen to them if a Battlestar ever did turn up here. We would watch these new future warriors earn their true colors.
It would have a Grand Oveture, an Intermission,and a compelling Epilog. But I tell you I'd make it so that you would be able to hold your head up high and say I love Galalctica. It would be redemed as a story of importance,and blur the past with its humble, and broken begginings. I'm babbling again, but this is how I see Galalctica,I want it this way,It's true story potential isnt realized yet. Where George Lucas has turned his opus into kiddie fare. and Trek disintergrated into tired talk of the future, BSG can be about US. Real people all different,comming together to show the audience and those who wish to listen that we can make it.

I'm just afraid what galalctica might degenerate into,a walking viper, sex filled, hip and cool cg effects and bland bland story telling show. And as long as people want to keep it alive on television it will head that way sooner or later.

All i have left is my imagination.

Laters
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #17
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

I have to do this.....

"Will you watch our brand new show?
will you watch, you will, you know!
We know just what you want to see,
Galactica! (Well, not really!)"

"I will not watch your brand new show,
I will not watch, no no no!

I will not watch it in a chair,
I will not watch it to be fair!

I will not watch it for the name,
I will not, can not play that game!

I will not watch this travesty,
I will not watch, so let me be!"

Not even with a side of green egss and ham.... lol.
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #18
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

BTW- Excellent post, Blue Mule.
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #19
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Micheleh
I have to do this.....

"Will you watch our brand new show?
will you watch, you will, you know!
We know just what you want to see,
Galactica! (Well, not really!)"

"I will not watch your brand new show,
I will not watch, no no no!

I will not watch it in a chair,
I will not watch it to be fair!

I will not watch it for the name,
I will not, can not play that game!

I will not watch this travesty,
I will not watch, so let me be!"

Not even with a side of green egss and ham.... lol.

LOL!!

Kudos to you, as well, Michele. Very inventive, that Seuss fellow, wasn't he?

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Old August 25th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #20
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default No way...

At first, I too wanted to watch this travesty to save up ammunition with which I could comment on from first-hand experience. But then, after realizing that this thing is NOT Battlestar Galactica, I have decided I will NOT be watching. I will take EJO's advice and stick in my DVD set and watch the original series for those two nights!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:13 AM   #21
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: No way...

Quote:
Originally posted by Charybdis
At first, I too wanted to watch this travesty to save up ammunition with which I could comment on from first-hand experience. But then, after realizing that this thing is NOT Battlestar Galactica, I have decided I will NOT be watching. I will take EJO's advice and stick in my DVD set and watch the original series for those two nights!!
Well said Charybdis.

Regards,

Peter
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #22
Shatter
Bad Email Address

I may be wrong about this, but I honestly believe that through the availability of the preliminary scripts from the production, we already have a great deal of information (see also: ammunition) about the "reimagining". With the information that is already in our possession, we know that the upcoming production has little to do with the true Battlestar Galactica. Although I can understand the rationale of having one objective soul watch the series, to report on the final err...product, I honestly believe that the fewer watch the thing, the better. I certainly wouldn't want my viewing of the mini counting as ratings support for it, and frankly I know I'm not unbiased enough to view it with anything resembling objectivity. Most of us probably need to stick to watching episodes from TOS and educating folks around us on the excellence of the original production.

Just my two cents.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #23
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default NOPE, not gonna watch!

My not viewing will not count in any way, I'm not hooked up to any Neilsen box, and I haven't been notified that I'd get a Neilsen viewing booklet for that time period. Although it's possible that there's enough time before the mini actually airs. I've filled out the booklet on two different occasions. So, I really don't matter to Skiffy one way or another. It's the principle of the thing. They've changed too much, overwritten too many important characters and plot points to view this THING as anything more or less than trash unworthy of the Battlestar Galactica name. I won't watch, even out of some morbid curosity to see just how bad it turned out. There is a thing called loyalty, and I intend to exhibit this little trait when it comes to viewing the mini.
If any of you out there are hooked up to the Neilson box or booklet, I urge (NOT order, you see) you to watch anything else, the DVD perhaps?
Carolyn
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #24
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Default Warning

For those who will be recording the show for later review. Many of the new recording devices (PVO & such) report home on your viewing activity. Including what you record for later playback. If you plan on recording the mini use an older machine that does NOT call home.

I have an old four head VCR that I will be using.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #25
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

Too bad there isn't a nationwide campaign to sit out on this travesty. There should be a bunch of "anti-BSG2003" parties, where everyone gets together and watches the old show on the same night this piece o' crap airs. If a news-channel got wind of it, there'd be some negative press for Sci-Fi.

jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I agree TOm .........That's why I lOVE Reruns ......because
our TV sets "ARE" Counted ......and so for that REASON
I will not watch the FIRST airing of the mini series at all.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #27
amberstar
Strike Leader

BST I once was divided like you, wanting to be informed on what exactly happened so I didnt sound like an idiot when debating how bad this show was.
I just cant bring myself to watch or even tape it for later viewing! I can't stand the thought that after all this time the Galatica we get is really not Galatica, but an ambrosia induced nightmare. One that you can't wake up from.

I do like the idea of two brain or maybe even OWD watching and airing their views. Both can write very well. As for me I will either be wathing my DVD's or spending quality time with my son or just being productive at home.

We all need to stay foucused on getting our Battlestar Back, and not let this mini side track us. Focus all of our energy into a possible continuation major pic. I don't know if the petition to release the DVDS actually worked, but hey we got them with extras! Now let us move on ward and up ward to our goal.

Amberstar
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:12 PM   #28
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Well, my personal decision is not watch. I can't anyway, probably will suffer during all the mini series seeing the things they have done with the story, the cylons, the characters. Anyway, I don't count in the nielsens ratings. Probably is it would count I will be very cautious not to give them the numbers to say we have a sucess, because in that case I would say curiosity killed the cat.

But I think is a personal decision.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 07:11 PM   #29
amberstar
Strike Leader

When I heard that Scifi was brining back BSG my emotion was beyond words. I couldn't wait to see the fleet again! To my dismay I found that the mini was not what I had expected at all. I also can not put myself through watching, too many changes to be BSG.
I agree it is a personal decision for everyone to decide if they watch or not.
Old August 31st, 2003, 07:20 PM   #30
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Congratulations on making Warrior Ace, Amberstar.

BST
Sleep now
They are calling