Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 16th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Cool Green Hornet Fans!!!

Attention all Green Hornet Fans!!! I know there are some here but I apologize I forget which names specifically or I would PM you. The original Green Hornet is being shown on Saturday mornings, 2 back to back eps at 8:00 and 8:30 EST (5:00/5:30 PST) on the ACTION channel (sometimes called ACTION-E) on cable. It is a Starz affiliate.

http://www.starz.com/se/ssp/schedule...Green%20Hornet

Enjoy!!!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I remember they did a GH crossover with Batman,but did Adam west appear on the old GH show?
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Good question Darth. It's been too long for me to remember, perhaps someone else here knows...

Old January 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #4
Bijou88

The only adventure that Batman and The Green Hornet shared was Batman episodes "A Peice of the Action" and "Batman's Satisfaction." I think The Green Hornet also made a cameo window appearance in another episode. Finally, there is one episode of Batman where Bruce Wayne turns on the TV and we hear the Green Hornet Theame. I do not think that Batman ever appeared on The Green Hornet. I love The Green Hornet and wish that it would be released on DVD in a boxed set. I would be at the store first thing in the morning to buy that set. Everything about it was cool. The Jazzy music, the Black Beauty, Bruce Lee as Kato and Van Williams as the Green Hornet himself. A great series that deserved a longer run.
Old January 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Muffit -

I had heard this about a month or so ago.... I've been taping the episodes as they air. They run them commercial-free and the visual quality is excellent. The show only ran one season, so you can get almost 3 episodes per one hour of tape - this would allow almost 18 episodes on one tape, but I'm not gonna cut it that close.

As for DVD releases, there were only 2 commercial releases for the "Green Hornet" and they were episode compilations that made up 2 2-hour films, but the cover focused on Bruce Lee as Kato. They are billed as "The Green Hornet" (Disk 1) and "Fury of the Dragon" (Disk 2)

I have seen a couple of sellers (no affiliation) on eBay that have the entire series on a 9-disk VCD set for about $20 and another has it on a 2-disk DVD set for $40. I'm sure that these are just transfers from VHS tapes made from the episodes running on the Action channel.

Best regards,
Bryan
________
Vaporizer.Uk
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

That's neat Bryan, thanks for the info .

BTW, a piece of trivia, in Hong Kong the Green Hornet show was big - however, it wasn't called the Green Hornet - it was called the Bruce Lee show.

Also, some of the impromptu stunts Bruce Lee did during the filming shocked the director and crew - he was way over the top and they had never seen such abiltities before!

Old January 17th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #7
Bijou88

As part of a college project, I Telephone interviewed Charles Fitzsimons, one of the Producers of The Green Hornet. He informed me that they hoped Bruce Lee's martial arts ablilities would be one of the hooks that would get people to watch the show. Where camp humor was used on Batman, the Kung Fu action would be the draw on The Green Hornet. Unfortunatly, some parent groups back in 1966-1967 protested the show as too violent. The protests plus the sinking ratings is what killed the show. Fitzsimons pointed out that what Bruce Lee was doing in the 60s was very mild by today's (mid 1990s) standards. Children's show like the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers had more violence than the Green Hornet. Fitzsimons was a great person to talk to and a real gentleman.
Old January 17th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #8
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Wow, that's so cool Bijou! That's pretty neat you got to talk to him personally.

Old January 17th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #9
Bijou88

Frankly, I was a bit surprised that he would take the call from some college student he didn't know. It just goes to show you that he was a real class act.
He was President of the Producers guild (or spmething like that, I do not remember exactly.) That was how I was able to contact his office.
Old January 17th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #10
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

hmmm.... woldn't it be fun to redo this show again with Jackie Chan as Kato?

Or maybe Jet Li if you wanted to be closer to the original.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #11
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

That's an interesting idea Thomas - however, I think they would be hard pressed finding someone with the intensity that Bruce Lee exuded. Jackie Chan is a great acrobat (incredible in fact), but I couldn't picture him as Bruce Lee. You're right, Jet Li would be closer, but there's just something inexplicable about the persona Bruce Lee gave off, in his eyes and in his stance, as though every fiber of his being were focused on each and every movement. IMO I can't think of anyone today even close to that. But it would be neat if someone were to come along who could...

Old January 17th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #12
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
Or maybe Jet Li if you wanted to be closer to the original.
Tom -

It's odd you should mention that.... Jet Li did a couple of "Black Mask" movies - When I watched them, I always thought of Bruce Lee playing Kato. I wonder if there is any actual connection?

Bryan
________
Uggs
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Rickyrod70

Did anyone see Kill Bill? They used the theme song from the Green Hornet as the Brides theme as she was flying to Japan.
Gotta love Tarentinos imagination.
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #14
octagon
Shuttle Pilot

When they did the Green Hornet/Batman crossover, Burt Ward just about pissed in his tights when Bruce Lee nearly snapped his head off on a roundhouse kick.
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote