Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 26th, 2002, 07:55 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default A hypothetical question

I posted this at BattlestarGalacticaClub.com and wondered what your reactions would be?

Say if the suits at Universal actually took notice of our protests and kicked RDM out on his ear and brought Tom DeSanto back as he is acceptable to us because he genuinely loves the show but said: "Tom look, do the show from the beginning but stay 100 per cent true to the themes and characters because we don't think new viewers will be able to follow what has gone before."

Would you support it?

The first episode would be an adaption of the Larson/Stevens script of Saga, Starbuck would still be a man, maybe the script would get rid of the more blatantly stupid scientific impossibilities like the minefield scenario but there would still be sounds in space the Galactica would look the same inside and out but with a Noughties polish, they'd still have Egyptian influenced helms and the music would be done by Stu Phillips etc.

The subsequent series would only adapt key episodes like Lost Planet, Living Legend and War of mind you.

Would you support it?

Peter
Old December 26th, 2002, 08:39 AM   #2
DaveC001
Shuttle Pilot

Yes.

But a continuation done right is likely a better way to go.
DaveC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Apothis
On Vacation...

I would be eager to watch.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 09:21 AM   #4
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Knowing that Tom DeSanto is a TRUE fan of the original show, and knows and respects what made the original so special to so many, I would support a remake under DeSanto's leadership.

Seeing what he did for the X-Men gives me a great amount of faith in his skills. I was never an X-Men fan but he pulled me in with his take on the film. (and I understand he made the general fan base happy as well... how odd)

Moore is out to rewrite Galactica into his own vision, which shows no respect or knowledge of what made the original work. It seems to me he is out to make the anti-utopian Trek, prove to his previous employers that he can do it differently. Instead of everyone evolved and perfect (as in his Trek world) everybody in his BSG is dysfunctional and highly flawed. They still will eject plasma and ignite it... have bla-bla-tron waves... short burst their FTL Gen-inducers (whatever) to fool the enemy... and whatever other techno-babble Ron can come up with to solve his story problem. Sadly he cannot move beyond that.

I wish I can solve my life problems by thinking up a fancy selection of words and say them in a way that (almost) sounds convincing. "Oh, hi honey, this woman? Who's she? She was helping me repair my telescoping plasmatic ejection procreation inducer... yeah, that's the ticket!" (sorry)

Kind of got on a side track there.

Yes, I would support Tom DeSanto even in a remake. If not a continuation, Tom would give us the next best thing.

Dave
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 09:33 AM   #5
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I would support a remake under DeSanto.

Listen, we all understand that alot of the elements that made the first go around special are unfortunately gone. If they stayed true to the original premise, meaning ships, themes, characters and vision i'd throw my support behind it 110%.

RDM has the ability to do this and most of fandom would accept it. Keeping the ships and the characters the way they were is more logical than what he's attempting to do now.

No question.
Titon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #6
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I would have to say no.

I certainly wouldn't be as angry as I am about Moore's character assasination but at the same time it wouldn't hold any interest for me. In my opinion, the originals are still as valid as ever. Some episodes are dated but most hold up well. Why re-tell the beginning of a story that never had an ending? I wouldn't campaign against a faithful remake but no, I wouldn't support it either.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #7
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I also would support Desanto. I think he would provide an updated version that would be true to the original premise with quality writers that could make the show a can't miss
Steve
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 12:38 PM   #8
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Under the conditions you've presented, Yes. I could support a remake.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 04:15 PM   #9
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Yes, most definitely! Even some changes would be fine as long as its recognizably Battlestar galactica.

And hopefully give a few cameos to its veteran cast.
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #10
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

in the immortal words of "stone cold" steve austin

"Oh Hell Yeahhhhhhhhh!"
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 07:42 PM   #11
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

I would have to say that Desanto would be 100 times better then Moore but I still want to see a continuation and I can't understand why a continuation can't appeal to a younger new audience too. I have to stand behind what I have always said.

Almost every show starts in the middle of a story with a back story that could be told. Even God probably didn't sit around twiddling his thumbs before he created the universe.

Just because Galactica has a history on film, it doesn't mean that it can't be updated into a continuation and appeal to all at this time as it once did in 78.

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #12

Well considering I supported him last time, I would see no reason not to now
Old December 27th, 2002, 01:19 AM   #13
GuitarEC

Like AO, i wouldn't campaign against a faithful remake. But my first choice is a continuation.
Old December 27th, 2002, 09:30 AM   #14
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Though I have no real desire to see a new cast, and though a faithful remake wouldn't be as interesting to me as if the story continued with some of the original actors reprising their roles; I would at least watch whatever Mr. DeSanto might present. Continuation would still be my first choice.
Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #15
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default I am 100%

With Oldwardaggitt on this.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 08:11 PM   #16
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster