Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 31st, 2002, 03:14 PM   #1
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Lightbulb A New Years 2003 letter to Vivendi Universal

I know some of the Vivendi Universal folks read the Colonial Fleets bboard from time to time, so do understand this is addressed to them as much as it's addressed to the fans.

======================================================

In 1999, Richard Hatch and Glen Larson/Todd Moyer (separately) wanted to bring back "Battlestar Galactica."

In 2001, Tom DeSanto and Bryan Singer wanted to bring back "Battlestar Galactica."

In 2002, David Eick and Ronald D. Moore wanted to bring back "Battlestar Galactica."

In 2003, we wait to see what Vivendi Universal chooses to do.

Universal is working towards the revival of "Battlestar Galactica" -- and is at a crossroads of sorts. I know the DVD sets are almost ready to go; the merchandising has been hurt by numerous changes (ie. the need for some companies to relicense whenever the production changes hands, and now many are hesistant to throw $$ into the ring until the dust settles); and the show's 25th anniversary is almost here.

It is known that fans have made an impact at various times with their letters, pro and con, for the various production efforts. Let's face it:

- Fans aren't supportive of the current Moore/Eick production; the content speaks for itself.
- Fans keep clamoring for what they want, yet they've endured five years of this and you expect every single fan to have the same drive/determination to write you. But many still do. (Especially as you recently discovered in early December 2002.)
- Fans looked at the Larson/Moyer production and found disdain for the materials, after details about the production came out.
- Fans have been supportive of Hatch, but he lacks the industry credentials to spearhead an actual production. They still support him because he speaks for what fans keep asking for. Not merely because he has an uber-trailer, books or appearances, but because he echoes what fans want. (God, if you folks only knew...)
- Fans finally latched onto the DeSanto production BECAUSE they finally started to learn what it was about (and akin to Hatch's continuation production) and by that time, it was too late. (And thanks, Universal, for wanting fans to remain clueless about much of the production. You're not solely to blame, but you weren't exactly inspirational in starting a groundswell of promotion and support.)

Do us a MAJOR favor: Bring in Hatch, Larson and DeSanto. Sit them down; talk with them. You may be surprised what happens. Egos, ideals and goals aside, you may find THE answers to bringing back the show which can turn "Battlestar Galactica" into the "Star Trek" franchise of the 21st century. You think I'm joking? Pick up the phone and call *any* of them right now.

Bring on a few fans as consultants to truly understand what the heck they want. You have a number of folks with opinions, both here and elsewhere; you also have access to some extraordinarily well-spoken, balanced, focused individuals, too. Hire them temporarily to gleam feedback, or talk with them in private sessions under non-disclosure.

Lay the groundwork for success NOW.

Make the shareholders happy.

Make the fans happy. Make new viewers happy.

Make the executives happy with a TRUE winner of a show.

Thanks for your time,
Michael Faries
BattlestarGalactica.com * BattlestarPegasus.com
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

**I know some of the Vivendi Universal folks read the Colonial Fleets bboard from time to time**

If thats the case Michael, i'd like to add to your incredible post by saying It's all true! I support this man i've never met! But support him 100% as a fan i can say This is what ALL BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FANS WANT without question without a shadow of a doubt please take all of what said into consideration especially, any thoughts of doin either

* A huge "Battlestar Galactica DVD Special Edition Boxset" WITH TONS OF ANY EXISTING EXTRAS and boxset Artwork commissioned by any artist like Frazetta or Alex Ross.

- Any new Battlestar Galactica series done right i.e. old and new faces, The Mythological and Biblical sci-fi fantasy themes of Battlestar Galactica. Quality writing. Epic vision, storylines and production values, Battlestar Galactica should always and shall remain an EPIC envisioned piece of the sci-fi genre Television.

- Battlestar Galactica is remembered throughout the world and is not some 25 year old forgotten show people wouldn't watch. With enough support and backing, planning ahead and work enfused we will watch.

- Commission a lengthly 22 or 26 episode season. Don't let Galactica fall victim to unsure programming by copyright owners. We as fans know when a show will live to see a second season based on how the first is handled. So far alot of 13 episodes genre show haven't lived past their commissioned season order because of studio interference, lost plot direction, money issues that should have been taken care of and other factors.

- Series Bible? As Mr Faries has pointed out Please allow Tom DeSanto, Richard Hatch and Mr Larson to sit down and work things through. Allow them to plan and work out the story of the hold Saga of Battlestar work out the story from beginning to end let them plot out the: Places, Dates, Events, Characters, Ships, battles and romances of these adventures through the star by these characters and present to us the next Star Trek, B5, X-files, Star War, LOTR's Matrix of the 21 Century with the Battlestar Galactica name on it.

- Don't treat the fanbase, fans casual viewers like dirt or ignore us! In this day and age we are well educated in what works in entertainment and are down to earth people who are passionate about what we love to watch, get entertained by and know what is good and bad and excuse my language CRAP. we are you're audience what works will rest in our shoulders. Not hype of an ill conceived REMADE show networks wish to god will work!

P.S. Fan hate HATE Remakes period. No, if's, whats, maybe's, could have's might's about it!!! They are garbage plain and simple we are your audience we don't lie about things we do NOT like! And those are the cold hard facts about it.

If you are there and listening, Thank you for your time.

KJ

P.S. Michael Faries Happy New Years and many happy returns!!!

Last edited by KJ; January 1st, 2003 at 01:16 PM..
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 05:07 PM   #3
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Good post

Off the top of my head the only Science Fiction show/movie that was better than the original was 'The Thing'. Make Battlestar Galactica a continuation, a new generation born in space with a few cast members from TOS leading them, no cameos.

I do not put 'Dune' in that catagory, Scifi's version was true to Herbert's novel. Lynch's version was not, Dune fans noticed.

This Ronald D. Moore remake is another 'Lost in Space', 'Planet of the Apes' or 'Enterprise'

'The Twilight Zone', hosted by Rod Serling. Never again, lightning does not strike twice.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote