Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 9th, 2003, 01:24 AM   #1
Bug-Eyed Earl
Shuttle Pilot

Default So would you punch Ron Moore if you saw him?

Well?
Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

No, but I WOULD tell the Nomen that he was the one who scammed them....
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #3
jjrakman

Rather tempting thought...
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #4
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default the avatar says it all!

the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Would I really smack him around? No. I pity him. He has written and pushed a travesty that may very well end his career. Since he slipped the reins that had been held by his Trek overseers, what has he done that didn't tank?

It is because I am a writer, too, that I find that streak of pity for him in all the disgust and anger I feel as a fan of the real BSG. Yes, I hope to be one of those holding the rope as they hang his career out to dry, but I still pity him.

However, as angry as we are with the 'vision' of this miniseries, to suggest actual physical harm to the man, even in jest, is in poor taste at best. Not that I believe for a second that anyone here actually wishes him (or anyone else) harmed, but I know of at least one member of this forum who has been driven away, in part, by the use of certain avatars (you know which ones). Images such as those do not bring a civilized atmosphere to a debate, certainly, but avatars (for those with the time and skill to manipulate images) are a personal statement and I, for one, refuse to ask that the free speech of any member of this or any other forum be curtailed just because the sensibilities of a few are offended. (I like the idea of offending people, by the way. Makes them grow.)

Far better we send him to Burger King. There's more poetic justice there, anyway.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Senmut
No, but I WOULD tell the Nomen that he was the one who scammed them....
Now THAT is an idea and you made me laugh.

No physical harm, but may all he touches go south until he learns where his skill level really is and starts realizing that it takes an audience to make you successful. Sometimes it is good to listen to the folks that made a project possible to revive.....

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:44 AM   #7
JSC1
Warrior

Default I'd love to do this...

Do many people watch WWE?

How many remember the match in February between Eric Bischoff and Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Now imagine me as Stone Cold(or yourselves take your pick) and imagine Ronald D. Moore, David Eick or Bonnie Hammer as Eric Bischoff.

That's what I'd LOVE to do.

Too bad I can't.
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #8
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Hi All!

Can a Coconut Custard Cream Pie take the place of a fist? Smile R.D.Moore,..Pucker up cause here comes a sweet treat

POWWW! Right in the kisser!

I am anti-violence,..In real life.

Rich.
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #9
CylonLucifer

Last edited by CylonLucifer; June 24th, 2003 at 03:05 PM..
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

CL,

For an encore, you could always turn the other "cheek"!

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Would I punch Ron Moore if I met him? No, it would be all I could do just to remain standing, I would be laughing so hard.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:05 PM   #12
CylonLucifer

Last edited by CylonLucifer; June 24th, 2003 at 03:06 PM..
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #13
Senmut
Strike Leader

Okay you guys. That's enough smart cracks out of you!!!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #14
jjrakman

Default Do you remember...

Those old inflatable vinyl puching bags, that were weighted on the bottom and would sit on the floor. And they would be printed with the likeness of C-3PO or whatever character was hot at the moment, maybe if RDM had one of those...
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #15
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

This thread made me laugh!

As for Ronnie Dearest.... Well... I don't want to run into him...cause I don't think I should tempt fate.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:44 AM   #16
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

You know, part of me says we are picking on the wrong dude: I'm thinking the 2 David's (Eick & Kissinger) have more to do with it than Moore even. Moore is the hireling-scapegoat.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #17
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

You're right, Jewels, except for the fact he's saying the script is his baby, we don't know how much of the total vision was his alone, and how much of this crap was dictated by others.

Right now, though, RDM is the face of G03. Which 'gives one furiously to think'; he may be the sacrificial lamb in all this. Could it be we are again wasting energy on the wrong target? Are the people we should be going after walking around, chuckling up their sleeves?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #18
jjrakman

Default Jewels, I might have agreed with you too,

Had RDM not opened his mouth:

"I think there's life in that old giant. But I think that just poking him with a stick and expecting him to leap to his feet and resume his journey as if no time had passed would serve only to hasten his final death throes. He needs a makeover. Especially that '70s hair. "

"If you agree with us, then this is the show for you. If not, then thanks for coming, but the popcorn is in a different aisle."

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/intro/
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #19
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Ah, a "French" greeting

Quote:
Originally posted by CylonLucifer
Like this, BST??

I like it. <grin>

:::::so where is Moore when you need him??....(or his lips, actually)<vbeg>:::::::::::

CL,

Magnifique'!!!

Old June 11th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #20
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

No, I wouldn't punch him. In fact, I'd ask him who was paying for the 6-pack of beer we'd sit down and enjoy.

I don't like what's he's done to Galactica, but I don't wish the man any ill at all. I truly believe he is doing what he thinks is best. I think he's dead wrong in his approach but I don't get the feeling he's doing anything from maliciousness.

Two-Brain
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #21
jjrakman

Default Two Brained...

I respect that you may have gained somewhat of a rapor (sp?) with the man. But in all honesty after reading the quotes I've posted above, and I'm sure I could come up with a few others, it sure does seem that he speaks to TOS fans with exactly that, maliciousness...
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #22
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
I respect that you may have gained somewhat of a rapor (sp?) with the man. But in all honesty after reading the quotes I've posted above, and I'm sure I could come up with a few others, it sure does seem that he speaks to TOS fans with exactly that, maliciousness...
Based on the quotes I'd see where you get that. I didn't feel the same way but I can see how you could come away with that meaning.

I believe he says a lot of things he thinks are jokes, and the way he hears them in his mind, they probably do seem like jokes meant to bring a little light hearted humor to a situation in which he knows he's at odds with the fans. He also is very certain that he needs to press on with his ideas regardless of what he hears about what others think. I don't agree with his thinking. I think his approach is a mistake that badly hurts his talents BUT I can't say that I think he's intentionally being mean.

I think its more a case of being unobservant and possibly a little uncaring.

The more I learn the more I'm sure this production was NEVER meant to please the fans. It was, is, and will be something meant for an entirely new, younger audience ... probably an audience whose boyfriends are named Chad. I think Ron really does wish this pleased us--what writer wouldn't. He also knows the core audience he's supposed to try to get.

Two-Brain
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #23
Dinzy

I would not punch RDM because I very much appreciate his work on DS9. I don't think all of this is his fault at all. Just look at SciFi's current crop of programming; reality shows, Tremors, John Edward, etc. They are trying to appeal to the largest audience possible which is uneducated people with nothing better to do than watch trash TV. The series definately fits this mold.

As far as the quote goes I chalk that up to pride. Ron Moore has to do what his bosses tell him to do and if he has any self respect he is trying to do the best he can within the given parameters. The man hasn't had any real work since Trek so I wouldn't expect him to step down and move on to something else. As far as he is concerned this is a new series that bear a striking resemblance to an old one.

It is the brass at SciFi that is butchering the franchise. SciFi has no respect for its fans. Look at their track record. They cancelled Farscape after promising the fans a 5th season. they even went so far as to rename the 2nd half of the 4th season as the 5th. They put absolute garbage on the channel like John Edwards and Scare tactics which I take as an insult to Sci Fi fans. We are not the type of idiots that would watch this crap.

This is just another thing that this network is doing wrong. And it's horribly wrong at that. When you resurect a franchise you need to please the original fan base becasue they are guaranteed viewers. You do this by either continuing the show directly or doing what TNG did with Star Trek by continuing the show's universe some time in the future.

The SciFi network disgusts me! They are not making this show for the fans, they are making it for morons and 14 year old boys who don't know any better. They know people will tune in because of the Name but they also want to get more of their new core audience to continue to watch their sad network. Poor RDM just got caught in the middle of this.
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #24
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Dinzy,

Welcome to Colonial Fleets!

While I, too, appreciated some of Moore's work on ST, I won't be feeling sorry for him anytime in the near future. He attempted to be a bit more diplomatic in the second interview with TwoBrainedCylon but, his prior treatment of the Original Series fanbase was enough to earn him our wrath. If you haven't read the interview yet, it's located at:

http://www.cylon.org/bsg2003/remake-...ew-rdm-02.html

Ron Moore is currently in a persona non grata standing with the Original Series fanbase due to his own actions. If he ever hopes to "win us over", he will need to be the one that starts "giving" first. We're done.

My own personal attitude towards Ron Moore can be summed up with this:

"While I don't wish him any Bad luck, I certainly do not wish him any Good luck!"

BST

btw, I have been a fan of ST for over 30 years and have followed every incarnation from premiere to series finale (with the exception of Enterprise). Too bad Moore didn't bring any of the lessons from that franchise to this one.