Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 11th, 2002, 05:53 AM   #31
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default rebellion

I liked "Rebellion" the least of the series. I purchased it in July, and have just now (Nov. 10) finished it! It was slower going, and harder to read and follow, than the other novels.
This is what I didn't like about the book:
1. The time sequence was really off. I got the impression that what was happening to Apollo in regards to the rebellion, his imprisonment (three times, I think!), the arguments with the council, and the Cylon attack took place in only a week or two's time (or whatever the Colonial equivalent of a week is). And it seemed like the pilots, Dalton, Troy and Trays, et. al., were out in the Ur cloud for only a day or two. Yet what was happening to the other ships on the fleet, with them running out of oxygen and their people starving, seemed to have happened over several weeks' time.
2. In the last novel, Cassiopeia was a doctor. Now she's back to being a med tech.
3. The whole "Rosemary's Baby's" concept is unoriginal.
4. Towards the end of the novel, Apollo says, "Let's roll." Now I realize that this phrase has been around for years, but ever since the events of last year, I will always associate it with Todd Beamer and Sept. 11. I know plenty of other folks have been using the phrase more recently, but to me, it seems rather disrespectful.

This is what I did like:
1. The reform of Baltar.
2. Cassiopeia went to a midwife.
3. Apollo's relationship with Koren.

Newer characters that had been introduced in previous novels and carried over were Dalton, Trays, Gar'Tokk and Valor.
New characters that were introduced in this novel were:
1. Nilsen, senior engineer
2. Dr. Lorrins, physicist
3. Protea, Athena's friend
4. Sire Aron, council member
5. Jinkrat, rebel leader
6. Koren, Jinkrat's son
7. Starjumper, Orgon and Michelangelo, former prisoners
8. Naga, Gar'Tokk's friend.

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #32
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: rebellion

Quote:
Originally posted by skippercollecto
I liked "Rebellion" the least of the series. I purchased it in July, and have just now (Nov. 10) finished it! It was slower going, and harder to read and follow, than the other novels.
This is what I didn't like about the book:
1. The time sequence was really off. I got the impression that what was happening to Apollo in regards to the rebellion, his imprisonment (three times, I think!), the arguments with the council, and the Cylon attack took place in only a week or two's time (or whatever the Colonial equivalent of a week is). And it seemed like the pilots, Dalton, Troy and Trays, et. al., were out in the Ur cloud for only a day or two. Yet what was happening to the other ships on the fleet, with them running out of oxygen and their people starving, seemed to have happened over several weeks' time.
2. In the last novel, Cassiopeia was a doctor. Now she's back to being a med tech.
3. The whole "Rosemary's Baby's" concept is unoriginal.
4. Towards the end of the novel, Apollo says, "Let's roll." Now I realize that this phrase has been around for years, but ever since the events of last year, I will always associate it with Todd Beamer and Sept. 11. I know plenty of other folks have been using the phrase more recently, but to me, it seems rather disrespectful.

This is what I did like:
1. The reform of Baltar.
2. Cassiopeia went to a midwife.
3. Apollo's relationship with Koren.

Mary
Response to your points: I read it twice and I think I figured out the time thing, but it means the Colonials know way more about diagnosing pregnancy (like nearly before the egg's planted itself) than we do! Cassi would be about a week pregnant MAX when she unloads the fact on Apollo.
so point 1) the time frame is about 3-4 days, with the 2 page epilogue glossing over 39 weeks , and they are still in the initial QSE jump began during the battle over Kobol. (The wormhole type thingy broke down because they dragged all the mass of the battle debris with them when they jumped. Hence they are stuck in what I think Stephen Hawking would call a singularity from a wormhole that collapsed in the middle) The Hestia thing happens nearly immediately–shocking to me, was that it only happened to 1 ship. I'm also basing this on the fact that they only had a few days food left, yet did not totally run out, and the ultra-long viper patrols (pilots need to sleep and eat too).

2. Thought Cassi was just shy of being a full Dr. will have to double check that.

3. I was thinking older paradigm than that: Set up for a Mordred vs. King Arthur situation. Point well thought out though.

4. Let's roll. I tolerated that one because I wasn't thinking of the 9-11 context (and the copy was probably written before all of that was completely known by the public. Did you know that that was what Todd used to say to get his & Lisa's kids into the car, btw? Just an everyday phrase he used.)

I like the things you liked!
1) I would call it Baltar's redemption, because he had to be redeemed (freed from Iblis control by someone/something outside himself) to make that kind of change, though he still desires prestige like his old self.

2) Liked midwife, didn't like that it implied that she went through it alone.
If Richard revists, hope he fixes that one aspect. Apollo isn't the type to leave a woman and friend high & dry, even if he is confused.

3) Sensing Koren will be a part of the "Adama extended family" in the next book. Hope I am right.

What bugged me is that the vipers could fly but the other ships were dead in space, and they were critically low on fuel but that didn't stop any Daedelus—Galactica shuttling or shuttle to ship that Jinkrat was on.

Oh, did you notice (I only saw it one place) that Starbuck is now a Colonel? (only saw the one place with a title. Didn't realize his field promo, just before Kobol battle in Resurrection, brought that much rank with it).

Thank you so much for talking about this book!
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 05:22 AM   #33

I loved Rebellion. Although I was suprised to see alot of twists and turns in the book. The day I got it I read most of it that night as my mother was having a health problem and was rushed to the hospital, so I couldn't sleep so I read. Can't wait to see what is pulled out of Richard's bag of tricks next. Michael you can tell him I said that.
Old November 19th, 2002, 06:19 AM   #34
jewels

Colonial Fleets

My second favorite people twist was the Apollo & Cassi incident in the Celestial Chamber. Not that I really get the Apollo-Cassi relationship thing or why Sheba is so wacky toward Apollo after 20ish years. For what it was, it was a tastefully written scene, just shocked me the 1st time (Apollo actually got the girl for once!!).
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #35
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Just as an FYI for those who don't know- due to a misunderstanding attributable to a miscommunication on the part of the publisher.. (*takes breath*)... the book "Rebellion" was published from the initial draft, (I strongly recall that I was told it was the initial draft) NOT the final draft. So the published version was *not* the actual finished draft.

I hope this will shed soem light on the situation.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #36
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Micheleh
Just as an FYI for those who don't know- due to a misunderstanding attributable to a miscommunication on the part of the publisher.. (*takes breath*)... the book "Rebellion" was published from the initial draft, (I strongly recall that I was told it was the initial draft) NOT the final draft. So the published version was *not* the actual finished draft.

I hope this will shed soem light on the situation.
That is exactly right. Richard told me that himself while at a production meeting of "Great War of Magellan." You can be sure he won't give them any early drafts again.

Ken
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #37
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

I'd like to see the final draft published as a paperback.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #38
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I thought Resurrection was the one that was the rough that got published (memory is such a tricky thing) but that would explain the not quite polished plotting in comparison to the Chris Golden collaborations. And I would trust Ken on which one it was. In either case: were a final draft published as a trade pb I would be straight over to Amazon for a copy.

Hi Micheleh, if you post in discussion or Galactica cafe, you'll get a round of hello's from everyone. Welcome and check out the art (and Ken's website too)
Old January 16th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #39
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Hi, Jewels! Thanks, I will, on both counts! I do some graphic art myself. I'm happy to be here!
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #40
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Welcome, welcome Micheleh! Great to have you here!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #41
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

bump
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #42
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default My Two Cubits-Three and One Half Stars

I finished the book today. It wasn't bad. I read some awful things about it over at Amazon.com but decided to judge for myself. The biggest flaw in the books is continuity to the timeline of TOS. Apollo and Cassi go to the celestial chamber and it is her first visit. They were all there in The Hand of God episode. Another hard to believe moment is Apollo and Starbuck having a fist fight. I would never have believed this in a million years if I hadn't read it with my own two eyes and I had my glasses on. Baltar is now a good guy was an interesting twist and isn't too hard to fathom since Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is redeemed at the end of Jedi. The two best additions were Koren and Jinkrat who gave some musc needed direction to the story. Jinkrat also is the one who speaks up for the forgotten aboard the rag tag fleet. There is SEX in the book but done with class. Apollo always seemed on edge in this book especially when confronting the Council. This makes him appear human. Many have made mention of Apollo being made into a god and taking center stage(Apollo centric). I think the books do an excellent service to the character more so than the TV series. Most of the episodes were written around the Starbuck character. The one thing that I hope woul;d happen but probably will not, is Dirk writing a BG novel. I would like to see his interpretation of the characters from his viewpoint. I hope I didn't offend anyone with this review of the book.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #43
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Offend: no, Kingfish! glad to see your comments!!! Actually: what's your opinion on SkipperC & my's confusion over how long a time the book spans (not including the epilogue which would make it greater than 9 months). I was originally thinking about 4 days to a week (but since found precedence in one of Thurston's novels for a longer patrol being possible) and I believe Mary (SkipperC) was thinking a couple of weeks. What do you think, while it is fresh in your head?
Jewels
Old March 17th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #44
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Hard Question

Could the Colonial birthing cycle be shorter than the human birthing cycle? The Colonial Year is shorter than our 365 day year. The only other thing is that since the child isn't human the ordinary birthing cycle is null and void in this case.
Old March 17th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #45
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I'm excluding the completion of Cassie's pregnancy in this question: just focusing on how much time passes in the main body of the book, from the time they enter the Ur cloud & stop cold, to when they finally break out of it & back into their QSE jump. Paradis will fill in on the gestation time for Cassie's baby, I'm guessing since the book is named after the planet. Does that clarify my question??
----
Interested to see if Hatch expands on Gar Tok's "NO!" when the huge explosion happens--what did he instinctively see about what was about to happen? There is only a slight reference to them having to change their pre-programmed destination point in the jump because something changed.

Jewels
Old March 18th, 2003, 07:30 AM   #46
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default A Week

I think they are stuck in the Ur cloud for a week.