Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 19th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #61
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustex
Sorry, I seriously didn't realize that G80 HAD fans, I thought that all the episodes but "Return of Starbuck" were universally hated. My mistake.

That's ok, Mustex. G80 did have some good points that endeared fans to it but, overall, I think it's safe to say that it was a letdown after TOS.

Personally, I liked the motorcycles. I often thought that when we make the transition to personal 'flying machines' that it would be something of a hybrid - land/air capability and 'single passenger'.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #62
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
I often thought that when we make the transition to personal 'flying machines' that it would be something of a hybrid - land/air capability and 'single passenger'.
...like Superman capes
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #63
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
...like Superman capes
Now that would be a heck of a lot easier!
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #64
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Listen to the audio ep OWD did... G-80's awful parts were a nightmare Apollo had. G-03 was a nightmare Troy had
How about TOS was a happy dream that someone on TNS had, where the Cylons were easy to spot and kill, and Baltar was easy to convict.

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #65
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Angelus
This is also why I have taken my leave of this ONE SIDED posting board. When I first came here it was a haven for me and others to express our opinions of NUBSG.

We didn't like it but it came into fruition anyway.

Then when nu bsg fans emerged here. We were told to "tone our opinion" down, to have respect for the fans of the new.

Erstwhile the same consideration was NOT given to us.NEVER. These fans have been allowed to attack and berate, not only TOS, but us fans as well! Yet when we make a remotely negative comment, or not even then (ie my thread on what would endear tos fans to the new, which was my attempt at an olive branch) we are accussed of trying to instigate and start a fight! On top of that my posts were altered!

We TOS fans do not have a place here. Moore was successful at splitting the fan base. And Congratulations Colonial Fleets in allowing it to happen!

You will no longer have the honor of my posts here EVER. You have no honor at all!
So we can't post on your boards, but Kingfish is free to post on ours? Or do you claim RA as your own as well?

Old February 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #66
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary
I don't see why you couldn't do it with the new series as well. The only thing stoping fans from writing that particular kind of fanfic is having no interest. But it will happen, very soon I suspect. All it takes is creativity. No more than it takes to bend G80 to work with the original series. In fact, I would suspect that in the next few years, writing the kind of stories that reconcile old and new series will become the most popular type.
Not quite that easy, the physics are different. It's discouraging to write together two worlds where sound is muffled in space in one, and ships require manuevering rockets, and these rules don't apply in the other.

Old February 20th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #67
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I'm still interested in whether or not they are actually able to copy-protect a broadcast. I don't think it's possible.
Let me explain it as I understand it. They had this problem with Timothy McVeih's (spelling??) execution. Some relatives of his victims wanted to be witnesses, but couldn't go to where it was to be held. They had to transmit the image. The problem was that anyone who intercepted it would be within their legal rights to do so. I'm not sure what they ended up doing, but one possibility was to use a type of line with thousands of other signals to dig through. They couldn't prevent the person from keeping a copy they made by intercepting, but if they can prevent such interception or copying they're free to do so.

Old February 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #68
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
That's ok, Mustex. G80 did have some good points that endeared fans to it but, overall, I think it's safe to say that it was a letdown after TOS.

Personally, I liked the motorcycles. I often thought that when we make the transition to personal 'flying machines' that it would be something of a hybrid - land/air capability and 'single passenger'.
I didn't like the motorcycles. I know TOS isn't the place to look for realism, but if it's going to fly at least give it longer wings that THAT.

Old February 20th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #69
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Quote:
I'm still interested in whether or not they are actually able to copy-protect a broadcast. I don't think it's possible.
Poking around a bit: free-to-air broadcast, not yet.
FCC rules apparently mandate the new digital sets will be able to tell copy protected programming. VCRs and DVDs will have to have technology to read the signal and fail to operate.

There will always be a way around it.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM   #70
Fragmentary

The thing that the FCC and the manufacturers will never be able to beat is that if they rely on software to prevent pirating, they will be competing with the same people who write the copy protection. The guys who build the walls are always going to leak the back doors. Unless there is a physical way of stopping the copying it will continue to happen.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM   #71
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Umm, is there any chance that the very fact that the broadcaster would try and prevent copying of this show while not bothering with many other 'oldies' possibly that there is a DVD release in the pipeline?

Gotta say that awful or not, I'd still buy it on release!
Same for the new show
Its not that they're that good, its that I'm so desperate for more BSG.

Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:06 AM   #72
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Paul attempted a straight to DVD recording first.

That failed. (other shows and channels work)

So THEN he recorded his VHS copy to DVD which worked, but is not as good.

I had retaped the G-1980 marathon before purchasing the dvd recorder. Apparently you can use your vcr to tape off of cable but the recording can't be transferred with the new system the FCC must have implemented. On older recordings you can tranfered to dvd. On certain VHS prerecorded movies the same applies. Universal however copy protects all of their tapes including my two BG telemovies, Conquest of Earth and Mission Galactica. On a further note I have been corresponding with somebody in the dvd business and asked about the telemovies on dvd to which they stated they had no idea they even existed. Finally G-1980 isn't even coming to dvd as the time of this writing. I will keep everybody apprised.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM   #73
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Thanks Kingfish .
I have the TOS DVD set and would like to have the 80s to finish.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:41 PM   #74
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I was going to make some smart ass remark about giving up watching TV, but another thought occurred to me. The TV industry still hasn’t figured out why the 18-26 year old male population has stopped watching TV. Now they want to drive guys like me away!

OK

So now I’ll really hit back!

From now on I will not buy a DVD or any other recording until it is in the discount bin. Just yesterday I saw several major movies in the 6.99 and 9.99 bin at my local store. So there it is, if I have to wait 25 years to get the wrong show, they can make it and wait two years before I’ll buy it!

Besides TV is not the only source of entertainment at night.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote