Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #121
Rowan
On Vacation...

thank you Muffit , but your not dumb!

Me likes innocent reminiscences

there is a store here in Vancouver that specializes in selling the candy from our youth, it is so exciting to walk in there it is like a trip down memory lane! of course the prices are different
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #122
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I remember that we had the first VCR on the block. A Betamax that actually had a remote control. It was attached to a wire and we wore it out playing with it.

I also remember going to a drive-in. It was just last year (we still have one about 15 minutes from my house).

I just read one of those, "In the year you were born..." cards yesterday & when I was born gas cost $0.52 a gallon, now it's 4 times that much. I'm only 32! What will it be when I am 64?!

I also remember when there was a cent sign on the keyboard so that you didn't have to type $0.02 to say two cents.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #123
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
there is a store here in Vancouver that specializes in selling the candy from our youth, it is so exciting to walk in there it is like a trip down memory lane! of course the prices are different
If you are looking for candy and other cool things from your youth, you should check out the Vermont Country store. They have Walnettos (which I don't remember but they are yummy all the same!) and all sorts of other blasts from the past. Their website is http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old May 8th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #124
Rowan
On Vacation...

Thanks Uno

the store I was refering to here in Vancouver is called The Candy Aisle

http://www.phrint.com/kits/archives/003448.php
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #125
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Kewl, I'll have to check that out as well.

Does anyone remember how exciting it was when your parents got a new appliance (ESPECIALLY a refrigerator) because then you could turn the box into all sorts of wonderful things: house, spaceship, etc.? I can't see a lot of the kids I know today being able to have that much fun with a bunch of cardboard, they are used to more "exciting" things.

(Good Lord, I sound old, don't I? Well, I did just celebrate my 29th birthday for the fourth time last week !)

Old May 17th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #126
Rowan
On Vacation...

OH UNO!!!!
I so remember doing that! I remember when we got a new washing machine and I turned the box into a really cool little house. I had it set up in the basement and spent many many hours holed up in there, day dreaming, reading, or sketching. I had a big blanket that acted like a rug and a bunch of throw pillows. I taped a bunch or magazine pics to the inside to decorate it. Had no windows though I wanted to ensure privacy from my little nosy sister, and the door shut very well. I used an extension cord and brought one of my lamps in there as well, it was very cozy!!!
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #127
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Ah yes, Rowan and Uno! My parents would be so excited getting a new appliance and try to solicit our excitement as well. 1961 and a brand spankin' new RCA color TV (probably the only family on the block with one!). And what do we do?

Heck with the stupid $900 TV, we played with the box!!!

Drove my parents buggy!!!

Kids these days have no idea what they're missing!!!

P.S. Cardboard boxes were ESPECIALLY welcome where i lived, with so many rolling hills of wild wheat. We never got snow, but we adored our summertime equivalent -- sliding down the slippery yellow grain stalked hills to our hearts' content!!!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #128
doc834
Bad Email Address

Boxes were the catalist of our imagination. They took us anywhere we wanted to go. My daughter has this thing with the clothes basket. She would empty the basket and just sit in it. That was fun for her. I mightas well have thrown away all her toys, at that point. The basket was her toy.
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #129
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

I remember being able to leave your doors unlocked so your friends could come over and any time.

I remember curfew meant being in someone's yard at the playing of taps but you could stay out with no questions asked as long as you were in a yard.

I remember when Strawberry Shortcake smelled like strawberries and her friends had smells too.

I remember the first round of carebears, my little ponies, GI Joe, transformers.

I remember when power rangers were popular even to college kids.

I remember when you could go to the local candy shop and get twice as much as what you paid for.

I remember when you didn't have to worry about checking your candy at halloween.

I remember when there was a Dairy Queen in almost every town in the Texas, NM area.

I remember cruising Main street and stopping to talk to your friends while driving 2 miles per hour.

I remember when going to the roller rink was cool.

I remember jammer pants.

I remember when disfunctional was not part of the family vocabulary.
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:12 AM   #130
Rowan
On Vacation...

I remember when hot pants were all the rage,
I remember bell bottoms and minis kirts (the first time around)
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #131
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
I remember when hot pants were all the rage

Aren't they still???? ROLF :laugh:

I remember when beauty was in the eye of the beholder, not in the eye of society.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #132
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Those are great DarkJedi and Rowan! Here's one from the Last Person thread:

Ah yes, roller skates! I remember when they were made of metal and had a small bolt that let you adjust them in the middle - it also let you take the 2 halves apart. We had SO much fun with them - we would take the 2 halves apart and then nail them to a board, then ride down our hills (seated) on the "skate"-"board" (yep, I'm sure that's where the name came from. P.S. they were made/ridden sideways not lengthwise).

Skates also came with a key (I forget why) and it was a longstanding joke that if you lent a boy your key you were granting him, ahem, freedom to get /very/ personal with you

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #133
doc834
Bad Email Address

You know there is a cool song on the country charts that is called "1970 Something". If you ever here it, it will take you back to the 70's and 80's, as a kid. I forget the singers name, but I can still hear it in my head.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #134
Rowan
On Vacation...

doc I love that song!

Mark Wills
Nineteen Somethin'

Saw Star Wars at least eight times
Had the Pac-Man pattern memorized
And I've seen the stuff they put inside
Stretch Armstrong (yeah)
I was Roger Staubach in my backyard
Had a shoebox full of baseball cards
And a couple of Evil Knievel scars
On my right arm

I was a kid when Elvis died
And my momma cried

It was nineteen seventy somethin'
And the world that I grew up in
Farrah Fawcett hairdo days
Bell bottoms and eight track tapes
Lookin' back now I can see me
Oh man, did I look cheesy
But I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
Oh it was nineteen seventy-somethin'

It was the dawning of a new decade
We got our first microwave
Dad broke down and
Finally shaved them old sideburns off
I took the stickers off of my Rubik's Cube
Watched MTV all afternoon
My first love was Daisy Duke
And them cut-off jeans.

Space Shuttle fell out of the sky
And the whole world cried

It was nineteen eighty-somethin'
Skatin' rinks and black Trans-Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
And lookin' back now I can see me
I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
Oh it was nineteen eighty-somethin'.

Now I've got a mortgage and an SUV
But all this responsibility
Makes me wish
Sometimes That it was nineteen eighty-something
Skatin' rinks and black Trans-Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
And lookin' back now I can see me
I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
Oh it was nineteen eighty-something
Nineteen seventy-something
Oh, it was nineteen somethin'.
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #135
doc834
Bad Email Address

That's the one!! See how it takes you back? Such a cool song.
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:18 AM   #136
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

"Saw Star Wars at least eight times "

WHAT!!!! ONLY 8 TIMES???? you have GOT to be kidding!!!!!! :laugh:

oh wait... not everyone is like me... lol jk