Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 9th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #1
dec5
Warrior

Default I really don't think this will be a series IMO.

Even though I do really like it ....I can't see it being picked up as a series.....

Why you ask???

1. The scope of the series is just too big for the Scifi channel to handle.....even toned down from epic proportions it still covers a lot of grand themes that will keep the cost of this show pretty high.
Example....Fascape was so popular...but Sci fi channel still couldn't keep it going.........

2. I just can't see the actors of this mini series sticking around for a 5 year series, Olmos, and the rest have done film....why go back to cable????

3 The fate of the original series.....Even if this mini series gets high ratings.....it does not guarantee the audience will stick around for more eppys when there is a possibility it won't finish the story line...which may take years!!

Moore will do himself better if he sticks to the mini series format............just finish the storyline, give it closure....sell the DVDs while the iron is hot!!!! Hee hee.

My fellow TOS fans....you may get what you wish for after all.....
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Alot of the ratings is controversy driven. And alot of the viewers have been massively repulsed.

My best guess is about half the people watching it hated it with a severe passion. That's not good for a long tv series run. Add to that it is still cable and outside the major cities, much of america may not get cable. Or pay to get scifi.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #3
malachi42
Bad Email Address

Default Word in town...

Word around town is that it will probably get picked up for series. Sci-Fi is very happy with the numbers, They expect fewer viewers the second night, which is standard expectation for any mini series. But if it is not a complete bust, the odds are it will get green lit.
malachi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:40 PM   #4
GreggAllinson
Bad Email Address

Default I'm sure it'll go to series

But how long will it last? It's such an unrepentantly *dark* show. I mean, not that there's anything wrong with being dark- I'm a pretty morbid and cynical guy myself- but Jesus...there's no Earth, anybody might be a Cylon...do these people have any reason to live? *Any* hope at all?

Even in my darkest stories (yes, I am a writer. No, I haven't done anything you've heard of), there's some goal...some release...some possibility that things will get better. The new "Galactica" has none of that. Unless the Colonials find something to live for, I have a hard time seeing this series go on.
GreggAllinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #5
dec5
Warrior

Default And ...

Boomer is a Cylon!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #6
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I like light hearted sci-fi with heros etc to take me away for a time, all this did was depress me. I wish the FX were lighter so I could have seen better the great work they did, that depressed me further
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #7
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I think Moore's intention was to have Earth be the mythical 13th tribe. Honestly i don't believe he openly meant to discard Earth all together. I'm sure with the way the end panned out Earth is still the destination. I could be wrong but remember it's also a legend written into the mini.

So the scenario would be, hey it actually *does* exist!

Get my drift?

Old December 10th, 2003, 07:05 AM   #8
malachi42
Bad Email Address

How many Alien films have been released and done well?
Blade Runner is a cult classic.
People seem to like dark material. I'm not sure it's darkness is an inherent problem with it becoming aseries.
It will become a series based on the numbers.
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:12 AM   #9
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Perhaps. I simply do not like dark anything especially sci-fi. You could see everything in Starwars and all of the great classics. I did not like Bladerunner
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #10
Domiano
Bad Email Address

Man I am soooo ticked off.....FRAK.

I wrote a long post about why this will be a new series appearing on Sci-Fi with filiming starting in Janurary. I cannot remember it all....so I will sum it up.

Most of the cast is excited about do a series but they need to know soon. Eddie James said he would do it he just needs to know soon before some other project comes up. As for the rest of the cast the are exicted and intersted in doing a series. Sci-Fi and USA Studios are thrilled by the numbers and have Green Lit the series. Sorry to all of the TOS fans. Think of this way...This is like ST:TNG to ST:TOS. We will always love the original Star Trek better but we like ST:TNG too. The Next Generation cast had to go on me a bit befoore I liked the show. I did not start watching it every week till the second season.

Time will tell.
Domiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:30 AM   #11
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42
How many Alien films have been released and done well?
It will become a series based on the numbers.
Actually the first two did well. "Alien3" and "Alien Resurrection" got slammed by the fans and the critics (but that's another story).

This "Cattlecar Galactica" may have had good numbers (3.5), but so did "Everwood" on the same night (3.3 according to the Nielsen numbers). So that tells me that BSG is a little better than a Treat Williams family show.

That won't convince me to watch a series...
jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:32 AM   #12
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Dom then why did they not call it BSGTNG and let it stand on its own merits?
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:58 AM   #13
Starwarrior
Shuttle Pilot

"This is like ST:TNG to ST:TOS. We will always love the original Star Trek better but we like ST:TNG too"
This is nothing like ST:TNG! For one thing ST:TNG was not a remake of the original,with a new Kirk,Spock,Mckoy,and Scotty.Can you imagine the response from Star Trek fans if it had been?How about with a female Spock,and female Scotty!?I would have rather had a Galactica:Next Generation then this travesty!Imagine Commander Apollo and Colonel Starbuck leading and training a new group of Viper pilots with updated Vipers and technology,after all they've been on their journey for 25 yaren and would have come into contact with many civilizations that could have helped them update their ships and weapons.Now that would be a series I think most of us would enjoy,not this pale imatation.
Starwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #14
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

You have seen Richards trailer, right. That is the way it should have been done. They could have used the Living Legend as a templete
s
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #15
jonahlee
Warrior

Default Re: And ...

Quote:
Originally posted by dec5
Boomer is a Cylon!!!!!!!!!!!!
This has so many flaws in it for me! Why didn't she bring the Cyclons in when she was jumping out to bring in more civilian ships when there was no protection from a battlestar! And even worse, being the only character I actually liked, it seems to leave no one that I actually like in the series.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #16
malachi42
Bad Email Address

Is there room for both dark and light science fiction?
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:01 AM   #17
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

" Is there room for both dark and light science fiction? "
I suppose there is. I will give any sci-fi a try but for me most dark goes in the closet
s
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #18
Dark_Man
Bad Email Address

This whole thing is just stupid. If SciFi takes this series on then I think I'm going to cancel scifi channel. I mean once they get rid of stargate, which they are trying to do, what would be the point in watching?

At this point I firmly belive that the idea of marching on the HQ is a VERY good idea. Maybe when 30k ppl show up on there door step they will listen.
Dark_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #19
jonahlee
Warrior

i haven't heard about Sci-Fi cancelling Stargate, in fact they are working on a new series that will be a spin off, and is supposed to act as a companion to the current Sci-Fi series. That doesn't sound like a cancellation to me.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #20
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I hope you are right. I love SG-1 and is has had a 7 year going on 8 run, thats pretty good
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #21
dec5
Warrior

Default Same here..

Sg1 really rocks...and I am not suprised it lasted this long.
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #22
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Great cast and chemistry, totally lacking in the mini
S
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #23
dec5
Warrior

I think the mini cast has chemistry....but it may be a bit too early to judge if there is series....mini or full blown....

Stargate started out as a question mark.....Dean and Kurt don't really look a like....and the rest of the cast where unknown. It was just another show that was based on a great flick...

I think what really makes SG1 work is that it is pretty much grounded in our times mixed with the fantasy....Dean said people could relate to it more than Star Trek...
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #24
octagon
Shuttle Pilot

I agree with dec5.

I'd also like to point out that the ratings have to be scrutinized a bit. Remember that most of the tv shows shown this time of year are reruns. Like what the heck is there really out there to watch on the two nights the show was on? It's not like the miniseries was up against a new CSI, ER, or Friends.

This miniseries was definitely never intended for kids to watch, so they've already eliminated that valuable ratings group. So a decade from now its unlikely that you are going to see Gen Y's & Z's clamor for another Battlestar like the Gen X's have. How are you going to get advertisers from a broad spectrum to pay for such a "dark" series? Call George Lucas all the names you want about putting in Jar-Jar, but the guy is a marketing genius.
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #25
Yminale
Bad Email Address

I think it's even money right now. There is no guarantee that Sci-Fi can maintain the same rating for SG1 with SG:A so it might be a good idea to have a backup plan (BG). Sci-Fi can afford two big Sci-Fi shows if their ratings are good enough and there is always the possibility of syndication. The problem is BG is expensive and a huge risk with nothing going for it (thanks to the fact it's a remake and not a continuation). Name recognition just isn't enough to build a fanbase. The mini was ackward but other great series had some bad starts as well. Star Trek: Next Generation, B5 , Stargate and Farscape all come to mind. We'll see I guess.
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 12:56 AM   #26
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by Starwarrior
"This is like ST:TNG to ST:TOS. We will always love the original Star Trek better but we like ST:TNG too"
This is nothing like ST:TNG! For one thing ST:TNG was not a remake of the original,with a new Kirk,Spock,Mckoy,and Scotty.Can you imagine the response from Star Trek fans if it had been?How about with a female Spock,and female Scotty!?
Fair enough of an argument.

But look at how the Klingons were handled when the make-up budget and technique made it practical to make them less human looking.The DS9 time travel to the tribble ep just glossed it over.Glaring continuity glitch.

I could deal with a gender bender retell of trek,especially if there had not been successful spinoffs.

Take heart though,as a LOTR fan,I have had to endure Rankin-Bass and Ralph Baskhi butcherings of that beloved myth,and we finnaly get a wonderful trilogy of movies that do LOTR justice.
Darth Marley is offline   Reply With Quote