Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #961
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
Beauty is composed of an eternal, invariable element whose quantity is extremely difficult to determine, and a relative element which might be, either by turns or all at once, period, fashion, moral, passion.

--Jean Luc Godard (born December 3, 1930)
French film director.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's the charge this time? - Lee Adama

Striking a superior @$$hole. - Kara Thrace

Ah. I bet you've been waiting all day to say that one. - Lee Adama

Most of the afternoon, yeah. - Kara Thrace

Right. - Lee Adama

Cylon Number 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #962
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
To be or not to be. That's not really a question.

Jean Luc Godard
Which demonstrates that the man, Jean Luc Godard, never thought about this stupid statement he made, clearly. For implicit in the phrase "To be or not to be" is choice for any self-aware being, and that is always a question.

Damocles
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #963
Lara
Squadron Leader

To me, this is the most succinct expression of the power of choice:

'Every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part of you that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before.
And taking your life as a whole, with all your innumerable choices, all your life you are slowly turning this central thing into either a heavenly creature or into a hellish creature'

CS Lewis

Cheers,
Lara
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #964
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
To me, this is the most succinct expression of the power of choice:

'Every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part of you that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before.
And taking your life as a whole, with all your innumerable choices, all your life you are slowly turning this central thing into either a heavenly creature or into a hellish creature'

CS Lewis

Cheers,
Lara
I have a couple of quotes that I like. by C.S Lewis.

Quote:
"In the moral sphere, every act of justice or charity involves putting ourselves in the other person's place and thus transcending our own competitive particularity."

--An Experiment in Criticism

"To fight in another man's armour is something more than to be influenced by his style of fighting."

--The Allegory of Love

C.S. Lewis

As always;
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #965
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.... The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

--Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)
Baptist minister and African American civil rights activist
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right. - Lee Adama

Old April 8th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #966
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time; the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

Martin Luther King Jr., December 11, 1964
That only works when you do not confront this;

Quote:
People like me sound like a lot of big cannons.
Mao Tse-Tung

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.
Mao Tse-Tung

Politics is war without bloodshed, while war is politics with bloodshed.
Mao Tse-Tung
therefore:

Quote:
Tactics are defined by your enemy.

Alfred Thayer Mahan
and;

Quote:
You must know your enemy.

Sun Tzu
for;

Quote:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke
so that;

Quote:
The best way to stop an evil man is to stop him.

Me.
As always;
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #967
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.
Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities — but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome.

--Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill K.G. (1874 - 1965)
British politician; Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during World War II

Right. - Lee Adama

Old April 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #968
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
There shall be no compulsion in religion.

Q 2:263

This Book is not to be doubted.... As for the unbelievers, it is the same whether or not you forewarn them; they will not have faith. God has set a seal upon their hearts and ears; their sight is dimmed and grievous punishment awaits them.

Q 2:2-6
The only true faith in God's sight is Islam.

Q 3:19

He that chooses a religion over Islam, it will not be accepted from him and in the world to come he will be one of the lost.

Q 3:86

It is not for true believers men or women to take their choice in the affairs if God and His apostle decree otherwise. He that disobeys God and His apostle strays far indeed.

Q 33:36
If you doubt what We have revealed to Our servant, produce one chapter comparable to it. Call upon your idols to assist you, if what you say be true. But if you fail (as you are sure to fail) then guard yourselves against the Fire whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the unbelievers.

Q 2:23-5
God's curse be upon the infidels! Evil is that for which they have bartered away their souls. To deny God's own revelation, grudging that He should reveal His bounty to whom He chooses from among His servants! They have incurred God's most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits the unbelievers.

Q 2:92-6
Abraham and Ishmael built the House and dedicated it, saying . . . "Lord, make us submissive to You; make of our descendants a nation that will submit to You..."

Q 2:127

We have made you a just nation, so that you may testify against mankind and that your own Apostle may testify against you.

Q 2:143
Fight for the sake of God those that fight against you, but do not attack them first. God does not love the aggressors.

Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage.

Q 2:190-3
When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them.

Q 9:5
Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home: an evil fate.

Q 9:73

Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient.

Q 4:34
The righteous shall return to a blessed retreat: the gardens of Eden, whose gates shall open wide to receive them. Reclining there with bashful virgins for companions, they will call for abundant fruit and drink.

Q 38:51-2
On that day [the unbelievers] shall be sternly thrown into the fire of Hell . . . But in fair gardens the righteous shall dwell in bliss, rejoicing in what their Lord will give them. Their Lord will shield them from the scourge of Hell. He will say: Eat and drink to your hearts content. This is the reward of your labours.

They shall recline on couches ranged in rows. To dark-eyed houris [virgin girls] We shall wed them. . . . Fruit We shall give them, and such meats as they desire. They will pass from hand to hand a cup inspiring no idle talk, no sinful urge; and there shall wait on them young boys of their own, as fair as virgin pearls.

Q 52:13-24
Reclining there upon soft couches, they shall feel neither the scorching heat nor the biting cold. Trees will spread their shade around them, and fruits will hang in clusters over them.

They shall be served with silver dishes, and beakers as large as goblets; silver goblets which they themselves shall measure: and cups brim-full with ginger-flavoured water from a fount called Salsabil. They shall be attended by boys graced with eternal youth, who to the beholders eyes will seem like sprinkled pearls. When you gave upon that scene, you will behold a kingdom blissful and glorious.

Q 76:9-20
Intolerance is the beginning of stupidity, ignorance a poor excuse, and a good education the cure.

Me.

As always;
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #969
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
For of those to whom much is given, much is required. And when at some future date the high court of history sits in judgement on each of us, recording whether in our brief span of service we fulfilled our responsibilities to the state, our success or failure, in whatever office we hold, will be measured by the answers to four questions: First, were we truly men of courage… Second, were we truly men of judgement… Third, were we truly men of integrity… Finally were we truly men of dedication?

--John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917 - 1963)
35th President of the United States

Right. - Lee Adama

Old April 11th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #970
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
It was absolutely involuntary. They sank my boat.
John F. Kennedy
Note; Against orders and in defiance of common sense the young Lieutenant jg of PT 109 steered his boat into an area where he was ordered to sheer off because it was in the projected target track of a group ofo Japanese destroyers, Because of his bungling, he fouled the torpedo solutions of his fellows. That the Japanese destroyer sheered his boat in two was inevitable and expected as he had incompetently maneuvered himself into that position.

Quote:
Let's not talk so much about vice. I'm against vice in all forms.
John F. Kennedy

Quote:
I just received the following wire from my generous Daddy - "Dear Jack, Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide."
John F. Kennedy
I am reminded of the old saying that you can never trust a liar to tell you the truth unless he tells it to you in the form of a joke.
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #971
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
Children who hear acquire language without any particular effort; the words that fall from others' lips they catch on the wing, as it were, delightedly, while the little deaf child must trap them by a slow and often painful process. But whatever the process, the result is wonderful. Gradually from naming an object we advance step by step until we have traversed the vast distance between our first stammered syllable and the sweep of thought in a line of Shakespeare.

--Helen Adams Keller (1880 – 1968)
American writer and social activist

Right. - Lee Adama

Old May 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM   #972
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
"Now, if you’ll excuse me, I was entertaining someone very important - namely myself." Bruno Hess
Yet more words of wisdom from Dark Shadows.
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:08 PM   #973
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

"Forsooth, if thou'lt excuse me, I was entertaining the notion of having a few more Jagerbombs, for they most certainly are a kicker....forseeth!"

-Martok2112
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM   #974
Lara
Squadron Leader

'Nature has placed mankind under two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure'
Jeremy Bentham, Ultilitarian Reformist, 1748 - 1832
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #975
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
In examinations the foolish ask questions that the wise cannot answer.

-- Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (1854 – 1900)
Irish playwright, poet, and author

Right. - Lee Adama

Old May 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #976
Nighthawk
On Vacation...

Battlestar Galactica 2004

Quote:
Be always careful not to take too much from an experience. A cat, having sat upon a hot stove lid, will never again sit upon a hot stove lid. Nor upon a cold stove lid.

-- Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known as Mark Twain (1835–1910),
American novelist and humorist
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #977
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
Men . . . are easily induced to believe that in some wonderful manner everybody will become everybody's friend, especially when some one is heard denouncing the evils now existing in states, suits about contracts, convictions for perjury, flatteries of rich men and the like, which are said to arise out of the possession of private property. These evils, however, are due to a very different cause— the wickedness of human nature.

-- Aristotle (384 BC – 7 March 322 BC)
Greek philosopher and scientist

Right. - Lee Adama

Old May 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #978
Senmut
Strike Leader

"Once made the equal to man, woman becomes his superior." -Socrates.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #979
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn but to unlearn.
--Gloria Steinem

Unlearn what you have learned.
--Jedi Master Yoda

Your focus determines your reality.
--Jedi Master Qui-Gon

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
--John Lennon

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #980
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.
--FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #981
bsg1fan1975
Major

one of my own:

"A stitch in time saves not a dang thing"

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #982
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
Although there may be nothing new under the sun, what is old is new to us and so rich and astonishing that we never tire of it. If we do tire of it, if we lose our curiosity, we have lost something of infinite value, because to a high degree it is curiosity that gives meaning and savour to life.

-- William Robertson Davies (1913 - 1995)
Canadian novelist, playwright, critic,
journalist, and professor.

Right. - Lee Adama

Old October 16th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #983
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Quote for the Day

"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy." --Winston Churchill
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM   #984
bsg1fan1975
Major

One of my favorite inspirational qoutes:

"If you want to change the world, pick up a pen and write"

-Martin Luther

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM   #985
CaptainHawke
Warrior

Don't eat crackers in bed. It's a crummy experience.
CaptainHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #986
bsg1fan1975
Major

Something I use on my hubby when I'm cooking:

"If you want to eat burned food, keep messing with me!"

Last edited by bsg1fan1975; January 18th, 2013 at 12:42 PM..
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:06 PM   #987
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

One of my favorite quotes:

"I'll keep my guns, money, and freedom. You can keep the change."
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:33 AM   #988
bsg1fan1975
Major

Life does not begin before coffee!

Old September 24th, 2022, 04:06 PM   #989
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975 View Post
yup! it is very true and i am not even married yet!
You show wisdom!

Anyway....

Oderunt. Dum metuant!

"They have hated. Let them fear!"

~~Emperor Caligula.
Old July 18th, 2023, 01:23 PM   #990
bsg1fan1975
Major

Sign in my bathroom:

“My aim is to keep this bathroom CLEAN, your AIM will help!”