Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 25th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #1
thx338

Default New script

From what i've read of the script for the new BSG miniseries, It bites!
They've taken the original characters and turned them into a trailer park version of the originals. Their first mistake was allowing an ex-startrek writer to write the thing. I mean we all know how well that franchise is doing.(lost more fans after babylon 5 hit the airwaves than at anytime in its history and they're goin down hill fast.) Why is it that these hollywood morons have to turn every past shows characters into a bunch of norotic, dysfunctional, minutes from hangin themselves losers?
They've taken one of the best series that I grew up watchin and turned it into a cheap and sleezy image of itself. Man, maybe hatch was right. his idea seems lightyears beyond what this once trekkie loser wants to force on not only the original fans but those that are just discovering it and scifi in general.

An original fan that can't believe his eyes
Old March 26th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #2
N Aviator 71

Default Welcome

Hey, well, welcome to CF, thx338! It's good to see another original series supporter. I hope you are here in time for some good news in the week to come. I suppose we all have to wait and see!

Matt
Old March 26th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #3
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

After reading Richard's last two novels(I've yet to see the trailer), he did have the right idea. Sci-Fi and Universal could have easily lured in the "all important" 18-25 demographic into a continuation featuring a new generation of warriors and kept the original fans happy by involving certain original characters as leaders/mentors to the younger generation. How hard is that to figure out? Sounds simple to me.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #4
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Completely with you, thx338.

They should've never brought in another writer from a different series. This version of Galactica (Belloby swallows hard as she types that) will undoubtably have a Star Trek feel to it.

Now while I adore Star Trek, I don't want my BSG to have Star Trek overtones in it. Galactica is Galactica and I liked it just the way it was.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Welcome thx338, and you are so very right!

It's no wonder a boycott plan is already in place if SciFi goes through with this.
Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #6
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Question Many Things to Consider

BG with a Star Trek after-taste? I suppose we can expect much talk about tachions and nano-nites.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #7
CylonLucifer

Default Old Trekkie sounding off, as well

I like Trek but I don't want a mixture of that with the Battlestar Galactica universe. They're two entirely different entities and should remain that way. I would rather see those actors from the original series that are still with us reprise their roles as, obviously, older versions of themselves passing control of the Galactica to the "young guns". It's just a logical step and makes more sense than rewriting the entire story into something it never was.
Old March 28th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #8
LucianG
Warrior

Default Another long time Trekker sounds off

Ditto to what CylonLucifer said! You are right on the money.
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 03:30 PM   #9
lonerwulff
On Vacation...

so where can u get this script??

lonerwulff
lonerwulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:31 PM   #10
thx338

Default the script

Quote:
Originally posted by lonerwulff

lonerwulff
I haven't seen the actual script but have seen reviews of it by insiders wich you can find by going to battlestar.com.
From what is said to be in the script (and they do lay it out pretty much character by character and the new backgrounds of those characters) I just can't support them tearing up a classic. From all I've read, again hollywierd has this fixation on "disfunctional". The characters (reported there) seem to have major problems. Hope the info you get there will work for you. Sorry I couldn't get a copy. I don't have inside connections.
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:43 PM   #11
Erzengel

Quote:
Originally posted by lonerwulff

lonerwulff
Goto the Battlestarfanclub. http://battlestarfanclub.com/battlestar/
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:19 PM   #12
XANATOS

WHATS SO GREAT ABOUT 18-25
HELL I AM 39 AND I HAVE MONEY
TO BLOW NOW AND LOT`S OF IT
WHEN I WAS 18-31 I WAS BROKE

XANATOS
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:52 PM   #13
JediMasterGynac
Bad Email Address

Default One more Trekker

You guys are all right. I'm totally with every post in this stream. And, Xanatos, that's what I've been trying to figure out too. The math just doesn't add up...
JediMasterGynac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:32 AM   #14
Erzengel

Who says they know how to do math in the first place...
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:13 AM   #15
ststeven11

Default Agreed

I'm beginning to understand how Ronnie wrote the new script:

"Let's see, Starbuck is a.....[throws dart at 'gender' dart board].....woman!

Alright, moving along to Colonel Tigh's dysfunction/character flaw/affliction. Come on, big money! No whammies! [Thunk!] Breast cancer!! Hmmm.....I like it! Too bad its already taken, though. [Thunk!] Uh-oh, this one's close! Its on the line between 'alcoholic' and 'spouse is having multiple affairs.' What to do?! I'll have to think on it.

Let's see, Galactica [thunk!] ejects her weapons coil! Hey! Wait a minute! This is one of the Voyager dart--ehem--I mean, STORY boards! It won't work here.....or will it? Hmmm....."
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:01 PM   #16
thx338

Default Re: Agreed

Quote:
Originally posted by ststeven11
I'm beginning to understand how Ronnie wrote the new script:

"Let's see, Starbuck is a.....[throws dart at 'gender' dart board].....woman!

Alright, moving along to Colonel Tigh's dysfunction/character flaw/affliction. Come on, big money! No whammies! [Thunk!] Breast cancer!! Hmmm.....I like it! Too bad its already taken, though. [Thunk!] Uh-oh, this one's close! Its on the line between 'alcoholic' and 'spouse is having multiple affairs.' What to do?! I'll have to think on it.

Let's see, Galactica [thunk!] ejects her weapons coil! Hey! Wait a minute! This is one of the Voyager dart--ehem--I mean, STORY boards! It won't work here.....or will it? Hmmm....."
Exactly! That's what gets me. Get a writer that has downed one franchise and give him a shot at destroyin another. Can scif say the word "duhhhhhh"? what has to go is the gender changes, the cancer bit, and the writer. Come on scifi, try again and this time gert it right.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 04:21 AM   #17
LucianG
Warrior

Quote:
WHATS SO GREAT ABOUT 18-25
HELL I AM 39 AND I HAVE MONEY
TO BLOW NOW AND LOT`S OF IT
WHEN I WAS 18-31 I WAS BROKE
Most of us in our age group (generalizing, based on Xanatos' comment, late 30's and up) have more disposable income now than we did in the 18-25 age group. When you have a huge adult fanbase on which to draw, why would one who really wants financial success wave it off as unimportant, unless a continual shrill voice on the SciFi Board was right all along in that Universal really doesn't want BG to succeed? I have a hard time believing that, but totally abandoning an established fan base in favor of a potential new fanbase doesn't make much sense. The resulting ill-will alone will make it even more difficult to build beyond the original group. Have these folks never heard of building bridges rather than burning them?

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote