Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Bijou88

Superman/Smallville Smallville...Is it any good?

I have never been a big fan of superheroes without costumes types of TV shows. So when Smallville came out back in 2001 I skipped it. Well, six seasons later, the show is still going strong. Am I missing out on a good thing? Recently, I received a flyer from Walmart listing the first four seasons of the show on DVD for $14.88 per season. If the show is required viewing for sci fi/superhero fans, I might go over an snap up the season sets to catch up.
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #2
Sarika
Strike Leader

Hi there bijou88,

I too only recently started tuning in to Smallville, but i don't really watch it religiously, however it's story lines are intriguing sometimes...and the lovely Jane Seymour guest starred in it, recently, as the character, Evelyn. She plays a bit of a nasty character, but as elegant as always! If you like myth and symbols and mystery, then Smallville has all that often.

Regal wishes!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #3
BRG
Warrior

Superman/Smallville A great but very patchy show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88
. If the show is required viewing for sci fi/superhero fans, I might go over an snap up the season sets to catch up.
It is a good show, but the quality of the episodes is very uneven, ranging from the sublime(Rosetta, Lexmas, Hourglass) to the ridiculous(Redux, Devoted, Thirst).

The sci-fi/ superhero stuff is great. The ongoing story of Clark & Lex on the journey to the men they are destined to become is compelling. And every week there are wee references to the Superman mythos that geeks like me just love!
The SFX are first class for a TV show- lightyears ahead of the 1990's Lois & Clark TV show, and even hold up well against the Superman Returns SFX.
And most of the cast is great- Michael Rosenbaum, John Schneider and Allison Mack are especially good IMHO.

The main downside is that in many episodes it gets bogged down in the whole "teen drama" element of the show. And has an over reliance in the 'Freak of the Week' format- were a troubled teen gets Kryptonite induced powers and goes on the rampage!
And I personally find Lana Lang very annoying, I honestly can't see why Clark would choose her over Chloe.

But overall, if you are a fan of Superman, I say give it a go. Especially at $15 a season! Then if you don't like it after season 1, you can bail out without a huge hit in your wallet.
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote