Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 9th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #1
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default BIG RATINGS on first nite Battlestar Galactica

BIG RATINGS on first nite Battlestar Galactica

Strong Ratings For BSG Premiere
Author: Michael Hinman
Date: 12-09-2003
Source: MediaWeek

While it's not clear what the overnight ratings are for the actual two-hour movie of "Battlestar Galactica," which aired its first part Monday night, Sci-Fi Channel was the top cable network last night.

According to MediaWeek, Sci-Fi Channel scored a 3.5 rating Monday night during the primetime hours, which covered the hours of 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. During that time, half of it was devoted to "Battlestar Galactica" and the other two hours was yet another repeat of the Arnold Schwarzenegger film "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" that has been aired all weekend on the cable channel.

The ratings were 21 percent better than the cable channel did a year ago. It topped TNT (2.8), Spike TV (2.8), USA (2.3) and Lifetime (1.5).
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #2
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default Does each point mean 1M viewers?

Or does it mean something else?

I will love it if this is picked up as a series.
Darth Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #3
dec5
Warrior

Default Dude

Yeah.....I agree.....at least a follow up mini series will do.....And Yippie......Grace Park is in the middle of it!!!!! Boomer as a Cylon.............!!! :lol
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #4
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Not "Dude"

Quote:
Originally posted by dec5 Yeah.....I agree.....at least a follow up mini series will do.....And Yippie......Grace Park is in the middle of it!!!!! Boomer as a Cylon.............!!! :lol
dec5 It's not 'Dude' my username is dvo47p, please be so kind to remember this.

Thank you, dvo47p
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to say that I am in complete agreement with Mr. Feeham's review.

http://battlestarfanclub.com/battlestar/bgarticle29.htm

New BSG Mini Review - Worse Than I Ever Imagined
By Chris Feehan (12/10/2003)

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't seen it yet don't read this...

This has to be one of the worst Sci-Fi productions in history. After seeing both parts of the Sci-Fi Channel Mini-Series "Battlestar Galactica", I was left empty and wondering “what were they thinking?”. Yes, I support a continuation and I was not happy about what they had done. But I tried to watch this on its own merits and try to determine if it was any good. It simply stinks, here are a few of my issues on the Mini-Series.

There was very little story, character development, or action for four hours worth of television.

It was boring, not much happened in four hours. The original the managed to hit on most of the major story points and developed the main characters to some degree within the first 90 minutes, including heading to Earth. This one just seemed to drag on with pointless conversations.

The acting and directing during the conversation between Adama and Apollo was so bad it was hard to watch (made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck).

What was with the musical score, it was mostly Drum Beats. Is that the best they could do, most scenes had no score at all. The second part had a bit more of a score with one or two notes being held down, with drums in the background. There was no main theme and I think the 20 seconds they used of the original theme was the best music in the whole damn thing.

The whole idea of the Galactica being an old piece of crap was over done.

The Cylons don't seem menacing at all. They had no motivation to destroy humanity except for a vague implication that God told them too.

All the scenes with Caprica being destroyed lacked any feeling at all, there was apparently very little reaction by the crew of the Galactica, or any of the survivors. After that this trend continues and no one seems that phased by the fact that their world has been destroyed.

On a similar note, I thought Apollo was pretty cold leaving the colonials without a FTL drive behind. Only President Roslyn showed any remorse about it at all. Of course it had to be done, but to ignore the desperate transmissions from the left behind ships and just plot ahead business as usual was just plain heartless.

When some of those ships get destroyed they fade to white… how touching. I would have liked to actually see that, as well as the 50+ Battlestars being destroyed (or 1 for that matter). All of those scenes were conveniently left out, probably to save a few bucks.

Was Boxey a mute, I think he had 1 or 2 lines and a few stupid reaction shots. On that same note, there was very little dialogue at all between any of the cast except Baltar, #6, Adama, and Roslyn.

The mob scene with the Raptor on Caprica was insane. Boomer lands there to make some quick repairs as bombs are falling around them (which they can see and hear, yet apparently they don’t give off ay radiation). An angry mob appears out of nowhere and they take the time to write out 100 or so little scraps of paper with numbers on them to have a lottery? come on. Except for the one guy who jumps on the Raptor, none of the mob seemed that upset that they were being left behind. Why even shoot that guy, wouldn’t he fall off at some point as they made their way back to space.

Where was the gunplay? Besides a Colonial Warrior shooting a civilian, we didn’t see the Colonials have a shoot out with the Cylons, apart from a few lame space battles. The only Human Vs Cylon battle was Adama doing a fist-to-cuffs with a Humanoid Cylon. That made the Cylons a very removed an impersonal enemy, we were cheated from seeing the mechanical Cylons in action.

The space battle at the end was the worst I have ever seen. The Galactica fires millions of bullets at the Basestar. The Basestar counters with 6 or 8 missiles and sends its Raiders out to be mowed down. All we see is swarms of Raiders exploding. When the Vipers launched I was expecting it to get better and see some dog fight action. There was none of this here, just close ups and explosions with no feeling of what was going on or who was winning. Not once did I see a Viper being chased by a Raider or the reverse, what kind of battle is that. It was just a senseless / pointless Malay.

I was really bothered with the fact that Adama lies about Earth and knowing where it is. If this does become a series (May the Lords of Kobol Forbid), I thought the whole show would revolve around the journey to Earth. The fact that he does not believe it exists, means they will basically be on a pointless journey.

On a design note, the regular uniforms were almost identical to the B5 outfits, and in my opinion the little I saw of the Basestars, they looked a hell of a lot like the B5 Shadow Creatures ships.

The logic problems abound in the second half..

1. First off how come if the space storm affected Cylon technology, Boomer, the Tour Guide, or the chip in Baltar’s head were not affected.

2. If the one Cylon Adama confronted could not send his consciousness back to the Cylons, how come number 6 was able to still speak to Baltar.

3. Ok, if that effect takes some time, why would the Cylons wait outside the storm and allow the colonials to come up with an Attack/Escape plan. They obviously come back after to pick up the Tour Guide.

4. Why couldn’t number 6 projection just alert the Cylons to what was going on and where the Galactica was after they reached their destination.

5. I thought there were 2 Basestars waiting for them outside the storm, the other was no where to be found apparently since the Galactica seemed to only be firing on one. If those missiles were guided to any degree, could’nt they just go around the wall of flak fire and hit the Galactica from another angle.

6. What the hell was number 6 doing helping Baltar. Why would she help him identify, or go along with his suspicions about the Tour Guide and eliminate a perfectly good deep cover spy on the Galactica. Also, why would she point out the Cylon equipment on the bridge (what the hell was that supposed to be anyway). It just doesn’t make any sense.

7. How would anyone believe the fact that Baltar would be able to test the 2,000 crew members on Galactica in a matter of hours for being Cylons and come up with the Tour Guide. The way Baltar was acting he would have been the first person I suspected.

8. How could they not have come up with some legitimate way of determining Humans from Cylons, wouldn’t they have some mechanical parts. How would they have lights in their spine or a transmitter in their head that was undetectable.

9. I got the impression that there were 12 humanoid Cylons, why make only 4 Human forms.

10. Why didn’t Boomer snap into action at some point and foil their escape plan. I can forgive this if the Boomer on the ship turned out to be a human and the Boomer we see on the station is her perspective replacement.

It is apparent that Ronald D. Moore did not like the original, otherwise he would not have changed this version so much. He should have just made up his own universe; why use any of the original at all? It just confirms what I had been thinking, it should not have been called "Battlestar Galactica".

After seeing the whole fiasco, I just hope that one of the mini-series supporter’s steps up to say "We were wrong, it does suck". I was actually worried that I may have to say the opposite after seeing some of the trailers, and reading some of the early reviews. I would have, but it does suck, worse than I would have ever imagined, and I just hope that someone in the Moore camp has the guts to admit that. Let's all hope that Larson and DeSanto can get something going with a continuation, I would hate for this mini to be the last Battlestar Galactica version we see.

Last edited by dvo47p; December 10th, 2003 at 12:25 PM..
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #5
jjrakman

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles...iewers_in_bow/

Quote:
Another cable miniseries launched strong Monday, with Sci Fi Channel's "Battlestar Galactica" drawing 3.9 million viewers. While second only to Spike TV's "WWE Raw" on basic cable that night, the debut paled in comparison with the first installments of past Sci Fi miniseries, including "Steven Spielberg Presents Taken," which premiered around the same time last year, and "Frank Herbert's Dune."
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #6
dec5
Warrior

Default dvo47p

dvo47p.....I was talking to Darth M....hee..hee

No offense....

But seeing the numbers for the 2nd installment....it can be concluded that this mini is a success.

Last edited by dec5; December 10th, 2003 at 12:36 PM..
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote