Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 9th, 2003, 02:44 AM   #1
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Default "Battlestar Whatever" My two bits

You know what? I thought if I watched this I would be angry or upset... mainly I just feel a sense of pity. All that hype for this? Sad.

The main thing that struck me is thankfully, I have all this inside inormation and have participated in the boards. Why? If I were a casual viewer who didn't know all this, I would be totally, hopelessly lost. I'm sure many were.

Firstly, the intro, with the many dialogue screens, was irritating and unessecary. If they have to spell it out, then the storytelling is failing right from the start. The officer on the ship was a pitifully incompetent moron who becomes hopelessly entranced by a female form.

Baltar's house reminded me of Bill Gates'. The set looked like Seattle. (There was African tribal art on one wall.)

Who was Baltar, anyway? A scientist, I know, but why did he have such high level access to the defense networks?

What about 6? I find it hard to believe that Baltar grants her full access to all planetary systems just because she's his bedbuddy. Ridiculous.

I also found Baltar to be utterly lacking in comprehensible motivation. The original had very clear motives- use the Cylons to kill everyone he didn't like, and be ruler of the remaining humans. But what, if anything, was this charachter's motivation? I saw none, just a day in the life of a weak minded, amoral slave to his bits.

All of the Galactica characters were extremely irritating. No one seemed capable of communicating without this spiteful sarcasm.

The 'emotional' scenes were all contrived and hollow.

The bouncy camera made me motion sick.

Worst of all, the major damage was done by none other than the SciFi Channel. You would be watching, and maybe develop a hint of interest, then with no warning get yanked away for like 50 commercials. By the time you came back, you totally lost the effects (if any) of the previous scene, let alone the so called plot.

A dismal failure, in my book. Battlestar... whatever.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 06:00 AM   #2
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

No character depth at all, it was too earthy
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote