Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #61
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Galactica 1980 Comic

See this is the problem. Copyright owners who lack the respect of the source material to actually put out original stories with commitment and due dilligence and care for the classic BG series.

You wouldn't mix up the Star Trek spinoffs with the original Trek series unless it was a crossover. So why in god's name would they want to mix up stuff from G.I.N.O. with classic BG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGTweed
Also in #3 Baltar says the Humans created the Cylons. He should have said Count Iblis genetically manipulated the reptillian Cylons into what they are today.
Lazyness of the G80 comic book writers! Like i've said before, you can't take something like G80 and turn it into a dark and gritty drama in comic form or reinvent it through another TV incarnation, anymore than i could taken a kid's show like; 'Sesame Street' and turn it into a R-Rated violent action flick with Big Bird cussing and swearing like a sailor, Grover look all glum wanting to frack anybody and everything in sight and Oscar The Grouch allowing rape and murder in the streets to go on!

Doesn't work.

So i can't imagine that or Dr Zee pulling a: look how dark and gritty i am, by being all twsied and full of surprises nonsense malarkey, out of nowhere (i browse the comic at shops to see how bad it is etc?). Its just so heartbreaking seeing the comic material of Battlestar being wasted like this, when so many greater potential stories exist out there for the original version?!?

So yeah. Long as those copyrights once again end up somewhere else that matters (IDW or Dark Horse Comics.) we ain't going to see another worthwhile BG comic happen again anytime soon, unless that movie goes into production and we see something major come about from it all. Realistically speaking, only the big hype of the Galactica movie being made would allow for another jaunt through Classic/Rebooted BG universe. In anyway, shape or form again.

And that kind of move would open so many doors should Battlestar Galactica be a success once revived properly. And allow for any written or comic made EU to exist besides it.

KJ
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #62
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
See this is the problem. Copyright owners who lack the respect of the source material to actually put out original stories with commitment and due dilligence and care for the classic BG series.

You wouldn't mix up the Star Trek spinoffs with the original Trek series unless it was a crossover. So why in god's name would they want to mix up stuff from G.I.N.O. with classic BG?

Lazyness of the G80 comic book writers! Like i've said before, you can't take something like G80 and turn it into a dark and gritty drama in comic form or reinvent it through another TV incarnation, anymore than i could taken a kid's show like; 'Sesame Street' and turn it into a R-Rated violent action flick with Big Bird cussing and swearing like a sailor, Grover look all glum wanting to frack anybody and everything in sight and Oscar The Grouch allowing rape and murder in the streets to go on!

Doesn't work.

So i can't imagine that or Dr Zee pulling a: look how dark and gritty i am, by being all twsied and full of surprises nonsense malarkey, out of nowhere (i browse the comic at shops to see how bad it is etc?). Its just so heartbreaking seeing the comic material of Battlestar being wasted like this, when so many greater potential stories exist out there for the original version?!?

So yeah. Long as those copyrights once again end up somewhere else that matters (IDW or Dark Horse Comics.) we ain't going to see another worthwhile BG comic happen again anytime soon, unless that movie goes into production and we see something major come about from it all. Realistically speaking, only the big hype of the Galactica movie being made would allow for another jaunt through Classic/Rebooted BG universe. In anyway, shape or form again.

And that kind of move would open so many doors should Battlestar Galactica be a success once revived properly. And allow for any written or comic made EU to exist besides it.

KJ
A dark and gritty version of Galactica:1980 could be done. The scene with Adama pointing a laser pistol at his head is not out of character. A deleted scene in Saga of a Star World shows Adama wanting to give up command. MAD and Cracked Magazines did dark parodies of Sesame Street back in the 1970's and 1980's.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #63
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Here is one continuity mistake in Galactica:1980. In issue 1, Colonel Boomer is on the Galactica when the missle hits the ship. How he managed to get to the Rising Star (in issue #2) before the missle brought down the Galactica is not mentioned. After Adama said "My God. Zee was right." He should have ordered "POSITIVE SHIELDS NOW!" A technician responds "Positive shield not responding!" Those lines were crucial to bringing out the tension of the moment. (Positive shield=Raise defense shield. Negative shield= Lower defensive shield)
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #64
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Quote:
Nah man, i'm into the comics and its art, always have, always will!

Any CGI animated series better be very 'high class' and done in Maya or some other fancy program to handle the job. Long as it was a team effort done by dedicated independents or something. Cos its about time this fanbase had a Galactica project of some kind. That was done by a team/group of people, and not merely one individual.

Still prefer it, if we had the comic book rights though.

KJ
Sadly I really doubt anything along the lines of a high end animation project will come along unless Singer's movie (if it gets made) becomes a big success and pulls in other people. And in that case it would be more toward the version he brings to the screen. In my opinion the fanbase for the original Galactica is just not there to justify such a production. If there was a large faithful group out there then more would be done by individuals or groups of people, but in all honesty what have we seen done? Especially compared to the ongoing and growing contributions that Trek fans or Star Wars fans create for their scifi interests.

Maybe I'm in a particularly negative mood or something, but in an honest look at being an original series Battlestar fan, I'm part of a small but dedicated group. The love of the original Galactica will go with me to my grave, but as a fandom, what has really been done? We have not, and likely will not, make a mark in the internet world that something like Star Trek The New Voyages has because there is simply not the number of people who will check it out. I would love for something like that to be done... some projects orchestrated by a group of dedicated fans... but I don't see it happening because egos, opinions, differences and lords know what else always get in the way, people start fighting over every point, and in the end nothing happens.

Ah well... enough negativity. I have things I should be rendering.

Dave
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #65
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
A dark and gritty version of Galactica:1980 could be done. The scene with Adama pointing a laser pistol at his head is not out of character. A deleted scene in Saga of a Star World shows Adama wanting to give up command. MAD and Cracked Magazines did dark parodies of Sesame Street back in the 1970's and 1980's.
Could be done perhaps, but for whom exactly? Its not as if G80 was good for Battlestar Galactica fans anyways. And it not even liked by us original series fans that much, lets be honest.

Far as my Sesame Street reference goes (and went). In a dark parody way, yes kinda. I just meant not totally outright like an ongoing series is all. I do however remember Peter Jackson's movie; Meet The Feebles. So a dark sesame street incarnation yes and no i guess. Yes in that it can be done, but no in that, it'll work only as a parody and not something that should last as an ongoing series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
Maybe I'm in a particularly negative mood or something, but in an honest look at being an original series Battlestar fan, I'm part of a small but dedicated group. The love of the original Galactica will go with me to my grave, but as a fandom, what has really been done? We have not, and likely will not, make a mark in the internet world that something like Star Trek The New Voyages has because there is simply not the number of people who will check it out. I would love for something like that to be done... some projects orchestrated by a group of dedicated fans... but I don't see it happening because egos, opinions, differences and lords know what else always get in the way, people start fighting over every point, and in the end nothing happens.

Didn't mean to sound like a broken record David. Its just that as fans we're always going to go overboard with passionate opinions about what we love. And i guess we kinda want unrealistic things at times. Still a fella can dream occasionally of what might be if such a thing was possible for the fandom. But yes, long as we don't fool ourselves with things that can't happen, going small scale somewhat, is what's usually credible with this franchise.

Laters

KJ
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #66
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post

Dave
David, I think a BG fan project on the scale of Phase II or the Star Wars ones is beyond the fanbase, because you're right, there isn't that much of an active presence anymore.

Also, something like BG, to really do it justice, takes a lot of ambition, planning and cash.

Going the all-CG route like you did, is the answer, but then again, there aren't the modelling resources out there like you have with Trek and Star Wars.

That's partly down to there being (until recently) not a lot of reference for the models, but the fact that there isn't any 100 per cent accurate CG models out there after 30 years is pretty appalling.

Setting a project in the past or possible future timeline of the show can get round fan niggles, but being the master of your own destiny, as you've done David, seems to be the answer to the egos and such. In the end end you only have to please yourself and if other people like what you do, it's a bonus.

If the movie doesn't happen, then I can see the online fan presence finally dying.
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #67
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

"master of your own destiny"... I really like the sound of that. Have to remind myself of that every now and then.

Thanks Peter, and well said. I do hope the movie happens and gets some life back into the spirit of what Battlestar Galactica should be. Otherwise... I just have this feeling its going to fade out to pasture. And that would be a shame, because there is so much potential to this story.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #68
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...211&disp=table
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #69
PaulGTweed
Warrior

The previews for Galactica:1980 #4, Commander Adama thinks Earth Nukes are a Super Weapon because one brought down the Galactica with it's Shields up. If the writer had read the novels for 'Experiment in Terra' and Galactica:1980-Galactica Discovers Earth as well as WATCHED BOTH SERIES he would know that Nukes CANNOT bring down the Galactica with its defense shields up. The only way an Earth Nuke could bring down the Galactica is with the Galactica's shields down. Issue #4 has one good scene: The appearance of the Flying Motorcycles (Turbines).
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #70
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
The previews for Galactica:1980 #4, Commander Adama thinks Earth Nukes are a Super Weapon because one brought down the Galactica with it's Shields up. If the writer had read the novels for 'Experiment in Terra' and Galactica:1980-Galactica Discovers Earth as well as WATCHED BOTH SERIES he would know that Nukes CANNOT bring down the Galactica with its defense shields up. The only way an Earth Nuke could bring down the Galactica is with the Galactica's shields down. Issue #4 has one good scene: The appearance of the Flying Motorcycles (Turbines).
I.E. = Dynamite stopped caring about classic Galactica comics, by only putting out two mini series comics compared to the 'bare' Gino ones! Thus waiting for any logic or continuity on the writers part at this stage; is folly to say the least!

Like i said once its done that it, the copyrights to Battlestar Galactica are going into limbo until something happens regarding the BG movie. I know this, you know this, and they know it!

Issue #4 has one good scene: The appearance of the Flying Motorcycles (Turbines).

Only thing really ironic about this G80 comic book series, is how they've made the Cylons far more ruthless than they were in the original BG series! Something they were always meant to be, but weren't cos of Network interferences and 'Standards & Practices' watching over the series' episodes and messing things up. Seeing as G80 is inferior to BG, having more ruthless Cylons in a G80 re-imaginning is something of a pisstake and 'bizarro world' style shift from what TOS BG should've done with the Cylons as antagonistic enemies!

I'd say send in your rather clever pointing out of the nukes issue to Dynamite, but chances of them printing it in the comic book letter pages would be too late and remote, and it'll probably be ignored (comic writers hate being pointed out to be very foolish and lazy in their work).

KJ
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #71
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
I.E. = Dynamite stopped caring about classic Galactica comics, by only putting out two mini series comics compared to the 'bare' Gino ones! Thus waiting for any logic or continuity on the writers part at this stage; is folly to say the least!

Like i said once its done that it, the copyrights to Battlestar Galactica are going into limbo until something happens regarding the BG movie. I know this, you know this, and they know it!

Issue #4 has one good scene: The appearance of the Flying Motorcycles (Turbines).

Only thing really ironic about this G80 comic book series, is how they've made the Cylons far more ruthless than they were in the original BG series! Something they were always meant to be, but weren't cos of Network interferences and 'Standards & Practices' watching over the series' episodes and messing things up. Seeing as G80 is inferior to BG, having more ruthless Cylons in a G80 re-imaginning is something of a pisstake and 'bizarro world' style shift from what TOS BG should've done with the Cylons as antagonistic enemies!

I'd say send in your rather clever pointing out of the nukes issue to Dynamite, but chances of them printing it in the comic book letter pages would be too late and remote, and it'll probably be ignored (comic writers hate being pointed out to be very foolish and lazy in their work).

KJ
In Experiment in Terra, Omega describes the Missles about to destroy The Eastern Alliance and The Nationalists on Terra as "PRIMITIVE ARMED NUCLEAR TYPE". How are 1980's Earth Nukes more advanced than an extraterrestial Terra's Nukes?
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #72
KJ
Strike Leader

And to add to that, ironically in G.I.N.O.'s pilot. A "low-yield" nuke (once again extraterrestial) rams the hull of the Galactica and cause damage and kills some crew. But not nearly enough to cause destruction of any kind, and the 'outer hull' was still intact, with the fires being put out and internal infrastructure not totally shell-shocked. Same to the re-imaginned Pegasus in Razor too.

Think its safe to say in either version nukes weren't powerful enough to destroy the Galactica, albeit without heavy constant bombardment with fantastic levels of 'nuclear-yields' that are tremendously high, hitting the old girl, that is! So unless Count Iblis appears at the end and its revealed "HE" tampered with the Earth "nukes" and gave them enough yield to take out a Battlestar. The writers sure cocked up with this error! Bah, why are we even bothering to justify or point the errors out anyways. Apart from browsing through it at comic shops, that G80 comic ain't going in my comics collection! I'll support BG when the comic's decently produced and the respect for the 'source material' there in the pages clear and present for all to see (IDW and 'Dark Horse' comics style).

The majority of the Star Trek and Star Wars comics successes however, are to be envied at times folks! They've got reams of knockout stories that put some of their various Sci-Fi movies and TV shows over the several decades to shame, seriously!

KJ
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #73
JLHurley
Warrior

Just when you think a BG comic can't get any worse, someone just has to go and prove you wrong. Here's hoping Galactica 1981 doesn't see the light of day. I think I'd rather see Troy and Dillon in a dance routine than read more of this junk.
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #74
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Baltar calls Commander Adama as Bill. Commander Adama had a glorious death, just like the Living Legend would go out in a blaze of glory. The replacement Battlestar (before the Galactica:1981 annoucement. THAT COMIC SERIES WON'T HAPPEN!) is the Re-Imagined Galactica. Even at close range, the Cylon Basestars defense shields would deflect a primitive Nuke explosion that would not bring down their shields.
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #75
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
And to add to that, ironically in G.I.N.O.'s pilot. A "low-yield" nuke (once again extraterrestial) rams the hull of the Galactica and cause damage and kills some crew. But not nearly enough to cause destruction of any kind, and the 'outer hull' was still intact, with the fires being put out and internal infrastructure not totally shell-shocked. Same to the re-imaginned Pegasus in Razor too.

Think its safe to say in either version nukes weren't powerful enough to destroy the Galactica, albeit without heavy constant bombardment with fantastic levels of 'nuclear-yields' that are tremendously high, hitting the old girl, that is! So unless Count Iblis appears at the end and its revealed "HE" tampered with the Earth "nukes" and gave them enough yield to take out a Battlestar. The writers sure cocked up with this error! Bah, why are we even bothering to justify or point the errors out anyways. Apart from browsing through it at comic shops, that G80 comic ain't going in my comics collection! I'll support BG when the comic's decently produced and the respect for the 'source material' there in the pages clear and present for all to see (IDW and 'Dark Horse' comics style).

The majority of the Star Trek and Star Wars comics successes however, are to be envied at times folks! They've got reams of knockout stories that put some of their various Sci-Fi movies and TV shows over the several decades to shame, seriously!

KJ
Also, an advanced civilization that considers Nukes primitive will be able to disarm the warheads before the other side can arm them. If you know how a Nuclear Weapon is built, you can disarm the warhead by remote. You can also detonate the Warhead by remote even when they are in an enclosed silo.