Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old June 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM   #1
bsg1fan1975
Major

LOL For anyone born before the '80s

A girlfriend of mine sent me this last night and I thought I would share it with you all.

Stop and think about these.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs

were covered with bright colored
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

How true.
Old June 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Yep.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM   #4
bsg1fan1975
Major

LOL for anyone born before the '80s, part 2

(here's the rest that somehow got cut off yesterday)

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING
!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS an d we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave

their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

...and what's the real kicker? It's those generations that are pampering the current generations!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:03 AM   #6
bsg1fan1975
Major

We need to show the kids of today that life is not as easy as they think it is. we sacrificed and worked for everything we have today.

Heck, I remember the only times I really got anything I wanted was my birthday or Xmas!

Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Lara
Squadron Leader

All so true..

Nowadays its all about 'rights' and not about 'responsibilty'

As a generalisation, genY are without a doubt the most selfish generation yet spawned.: MeMeMe..anything they don't like is your problem, not theirs, and they expect everything NOW.
Makes you wonder how they are going to bring their own kids up?

Cheers,
Lara
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

They're going to raise their kids to be superlazy is what they're gonna do.

Just how lazy? How does an AUTO TOILET sound?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #9
amberstar
Strike Leader

All so true.........I think being a kid back then was more fun
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #10
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Unfortunatly this is true LOL my generation overall has done a pretty bad job at raising our kids
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #11
bsg1fan1975
Major

I remember family vacations were going to visit a relative in a far off state, not going to Disney World or a foreign country and it was okay to spank your kid for misbehaving and it was called discipline!

Old June 26th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #12
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
it was okay to spank your kid for misbehaving and it was called discipline!
Amen, Bi La Kaifa, and 'nuff said!
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #13
KJ
Strike Leader

Hmmmmmm?

Interesting read.

Times have changed people.

KJ
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #14
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:
We need to show the kids of today that life is not as easy as they think it is. we sacrificed and worked for everything we have today.

Heck, I remember the only times I really got anything I wanted was my birthday or Xmas!
I remember when I was a kid, that rather than asking my mom to buy me a toy gun or whatever, I made my own gun. The original run of the BSG series was on TV back then, and I created my own laser pistol out of some wood. I would run around pointing it at things, making laser sounds. I liked making my own things. Still do.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's the charge this time? - Lee Adama

Striking a superior @$$hole. - Kara Thrace

Ah. I bet you've been waiting all day to say that one. - Lee Adama

Most of the afternoon, yeah. - Kara Thrace

Right. - Lee Adama

Cylon Number 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #15
bsg1fan1975
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Number 13
I remember when I was a kid, that rather than asking my mom to buy me a toy gun or whatever, I made my own gun. The original run of the BSG series was on TV back then, and I created my own laser pistol out some wood. I would run around pointing it at things, making laser sounds. I liked making my own things. Still do.
oh heck yeah! I remember having Barbie dolls and the only clothing they had that was original was what they came with when they were bought. My grandmother used to make the rest of the clothing for them!

I am one of these kind of people that I would rather have something that was homemade than bought in a store. My mother began teaching me how to do crafts when I was around 7 and I am still doing them today! My first project that I did alone from start to finish was a tissue box cover that i did for my maternal grandparents and when they died, it was written down that it was to come back to me as I had made that for them and they cherished the time and effort I put into it for them. It sits proudly on my coffee table. Todays generation think its so muchbetter to go and buy the stuff already made from a store!

Old July 30th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #16
Scatha
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
oh heck yeah! I remember having Barbie dolls and the only clothing they had that was original was what they came with when they were bought. My grandmother used to make the rest of the clothing for them!

I am one of these kind of people that I would rather have something that was homemade than bought in a store. My mother began teaching me how to do crafts when I was around 7 and I am still doing them today! My first project that I did alone from start to finish was a tissue box cover that i did for my maternal grandparents and when they died, it was written down that it was to come back to me as I had made that for them and they cherished the time and effort I put into it for them. It sits proudly on my coffee table. Todays generation think its so muchbetter to go and buy the stuff already made from a store!
Today's kids grow up on TV and the ads displayed upon it, the world isn't the same.... unfortunately.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM   #17
bsg1fan1975
Major

LOL

how true that is. they expect mommy and daddy to just give it to them.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:48 AM   #18
Sealtm2
Bad Email Address

I can remember making our own fun, our own games, using our imaginations. We built forts, made our own toy swords and used metal garbage can lids as shields. We played outside all summer long and even in the winter when we could. We went fishing, played sports, did cub scouts, weblows and boy scouts. It was a great thing to have been an Eagle scout. T.V. was watched very little we had books, drew pictures, made things with our hands, climbed trees. I can remember making parachutes from my hankies, some thread from mom's sewing box and a clothes pin as the paratrooper and we were happy with the toys we did get. There were no video games, gameboys, ipods and things like that to entertain us.

You were expected to obey the law, your parents, elders you didn't talk back to them. You would have never even thought to strike your parents. If you were bad you were punished you didn't have some one telling you that you were breaking your child's will. Not like now where they have no boundaries, manners or respect life. We were spanked but that didn't turn us into mass murders, child abusers and criminals. There is a big difference from a swat on the bum to remind you that you were out of line and that your parents gave a damn to beating a child to a pulp out of hate and anger by parents that could give a felgercarbe about you. Many of the bad kids I grew up with had parents that didn't care where they were or what they were into.

I fear for the young people today for many have no direction and the ones that do are made fun of. We are giving our future into the hands of a self centered, spoiled, hateful and mis-guided generation.
Sealtm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:58 AM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtm2
I can remember making our own fun, our own games, using our imaginations. We built forts, made our own toy swords and used metal garbage can lids as shields. We played outside all summer long and even in the winter when we could. We went fishing, played sports, did cub scouts, weblows and boy scouts. It was a great thing to have been an Eagle scout. T.V. was watched very little we had books, drew pictures, made things with our hands, climbed trees. I can remember making parachutes from my hankies, some thread from mom's sewing box and a clothes pin as the paratrooper and we were happy with the toys we did get. There were no video games, gameboys, ipods and things like that to entertain us.

You were expected to obey the law, your parents, elders you didn't talk back to them. You would have never even thought to strike your parents. If you were bad you were punished you didn't have some one telling you that you were breaking your child's will. Not like now where they have no boundaries, manners or respect life. We were spanked but that didn't turn us into mass murders, child abusers and criminals. There is a big difference from a swat on the bum to remind you that you were out of line and that your parents gave a damn to beating a child to a pulp out of hate and anger by parents that could give a felgercarbe about you. Many of the bad kids I grew up with had parents that didn't care where they were or what they were into.

I fear for the young people today for many have no direction and the ones that do are made fun of. We are giving our future into the hands of a self centered, spoiled, hateful and mis-guided generation.
AMEN!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:59 AM   #20
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

I remember making my own sword and guns. The one toy I played with the most was lego, tried to make everything out of it. I even created the viper and a cylon raider. It was great for showing battle damage. Even made a Galactica, of couse that didn't turn out as good as the only pictures i had to go from was what I could remember from the show.

I remember riding a bike down a hill without a helmet, I crashed, got hurt, but I also learned from it. We also knew all of our neighbors and they knew us.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM   #21
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I will say this though. Hillary Clinton is full of B.S., especially with a book titled "It Takes a Village..."

Sorry, but NO! Politically Correct Claptrap!

It takes a parent (preferably two if possible in this fracked up day and age) to raise a child....NOT a village.

It has always been my view that parenting belongs in the hands of the parents, NOT the village, and most certainly NOT the government on any level, unless there is a CLEAR CUT case of abuse or neglect.....and NO spankings DO NOT count as abuse.

Martok2112
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM   #22
Sealtm2
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
I will say this though. Hillary Clinton is full of B.S., especially with a book titled "It Takes a Village..."

It takes a parent (preferably two if possible in this fracked up day and age) to raise a child....NOT a village.

It has always been my view that parenting belongs in the hands of the parents, NOT the village, and most certainly NOT the government on any level, unless there is a CLEAR CUT case of abuse or neglect.....and NO spankings DO NOT count as abuse.

Martok2112
I agree. I remember back a few years ago one of the state governments wanted to hold parents of children skipping school accountable. Some of the parents went nuts saying it wasn't their resposiblity to make sure their kids didn't skip school and that it was out of their hands where their kids go once they leave the house in the morning and that it was the job of the school to deal with their kids skipping school.

Yeah right, if the school deals with it then these same parents will complain that the school is too hard on their kids or has no right to punish their kids. Yet these parents have no control over their child. So is this a population depending on government too much or a case were government has made a parent afraid of controlling their child in fear of being called an abuser?
Sealtm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:29 AM   #23
bsg1fan1975
Major

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtm2
I agree. I remember back a few years ago one of the state governments wanted to hold parents of children skipping school accountable. Some of the parents went nuts saying it wasn't their resposiblity to make sure their kids didn't skip school and that it was out of their hands where their kids go once they leave the house in the morning and that it was the job of the school to deal with their kids skipping school.

Yeah right, if the school deals with it then these same parents will complain that the school is too hard on their kids or has no right to punish their kids. Yet these parents have no control over their child. So is this a population depending on government too much or a case were government has made a parent afraid of controlling their child in fear of being called an abuser?
ditto! government has poked their noses where it doesn't belong!

Old October 5th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #24
Lyra
Bad Email Address

Quote:
(here's the rest that somehow got cut off yesterday)

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING
!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS an d we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave

their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

I couldn't agree more with you! Ditto!!!
Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #25
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Heee-Heee-Heee. Real good stuff.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #26
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Quote:

Martok2112
You said a mouth full, Martok. I couldn't agree more.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's the charge this time? - Lee Adama

Striking a superior @$$hole. - Kara Thrace

Ah. I bet you've been waiting all day to say that one. - Lee Adama

Most of the afternoon, yeah. - Kara Thrace

Right. - Lee Adama

Cylon Number 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #27
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thank you, sir.

And thank you, Sealtm2
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #28
gmd3d
Major

Quote:

Martok2112

Totally agree with that statement Martok . well said

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #29
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Danke.
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #30
gmd3d