Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old May 18th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default OT/The Preakness - Spoiler

Let's see how this spoiler code works!!

For those that didn't see it:

Spoiler
Funny Cide won the Preakness, by 10 lengths, and has a chance at the Triple Crown. The last Triple Crown winner was Affirmed, in 1978. Remember something else special that happened that year??

My wife, my dad, and I watched The Preakness Stakes, yesterday, and, for me, it brought back memories of my first (and so far, only) thoroughbred horse race. I went to the Preakness in 1986 with some friends from work and we took a case of beer, some hot dogs, and a little charcoal grill and had a 'po folks' cook-out in the infield and just watched the horses run. I can't remember the actual attendance but, I know the infield accounted for about 1/2 of it! It was a madhouse but, we had a ball!!

I have been wanting to go back and since my wife absolutely loves horses, we have been talking about taking several extended weekend trips, to the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and finally, to the Belmont Stakes -- a Triple Crown vacation, if you will. I hope we can do it next year. (I think we'll sit in the grandstand though ).

Does anyone else like horses or horse racing? If so, and if you have any stories to share, I'd love to hear them.

BST

Last edited by BST; May 19th, 2003 at 03:46 PM..
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Unhappy

My late father LOVED the horses. He would watch year after year until he passed away.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

kingfish,

Sorry to hear about your dad but, I'm glad to hear that he got so much enjoyment from watching the horses.
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I've always loved horses and had many friends who would lend me a mount on occasion.

I've thought about making a trip to see a race, but I would never go to the Preakness Stakes, and would certianly never get anywhere near that infield. It's insane, drunk nekkid people dancing and puking everywhere....

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #5
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

FG,

Say it isn't so...hehehe.

Considering that you live in Baltimore, it probably wouldn't be a big deal to go to Pimlico. BTW, what side of town do you live on? My folks and I used to go every year to visit my aunt, uncle, and cousins in Essex. Later on, after I had to start working for a living, I got a job in Silver Spring and lived there and in Laurel for about 3 years.

It was nice but, the lifestyle was a bit too 'transient' for me. (hope that was a good choice of words) Too many neighbors working for the government -- here today, gone tomorrow.

BST
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #6
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

None of those places you mentioned are actually in Baltiimore. I live in the city, and, as a matter of fact, not far from Pimlico. Get the right wind and you can smell the horses here.

RH
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

BST:
I love horses too though I've mostly only gotten to spectate at the Rolex Kentucky 3 day event. (its olympic level or better: dressage, cross-country and stadium jumping). It's amazing to watch, especially cross-country day.

The track I would love to see the horses run at is this sweet little track outside Lexington called Keenland. It is just gorgeous but they only run there in April and October and I've always been busy then. Seeing the Triple crown would be excellent though. Cool vacation plans.
Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

FG,

Understood.

I realize that Essex is essentially a suburb of Baltimore City and that SS and Laurel are about 20-25 miles away. I just meant that the Baltimore area holds a lot of affection for me to this day, because of the visits and because I lived "in the area" for a while. On occasion, some of us would go to the Inner Harbor and sometimes Fells Point to catch some of the "atmosphere", night-life, etc. Really enjoyable and a beautiful job restoring the area. It was just the lifestyle in SS and Laurel that I couldn't get used to, you couldn't make any lasting friendships because people just moved around too much.

Take care,

BST
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #9
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I am a John Waters fan, too, and was even before he filmed a movie in my neighborhood.

RH