Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old April 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #151
Artemis
Warrior

Guess it was the obvious, they had us all fooled.
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #152
Rowan
On Vacation...

Boone!!!

not good that Jack thinks it's murder!!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #153
Callipygian
Warrior

I thought it was a little far-fetched that Jack jumped to the conclusion that Locke murdered Boone. The little that Boone said would lead me to ask a lot of questions of Locke, but it wouldn't have led me to believe he murdered Boone.

I'll miss Boone. He was the best eye candy on the island. I guess I didn't notice his lack of acting skills.

What was the drug that Boone found in the plane? I was helping my son with something, and I missed it. I was thinking it might lead to some serious temptation down the road for Charlie.

Also, I could take a crack at the Spanish translation. I used to be fluent - read, write and speak Spanish. I've lost most of it through lack of use, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Calli
Callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #154
PredatorPt
Bad Email Address

Ok...using a screencap taken from this site:

http://www.lost-tv.com/

I could only translate this:

"My! What big teeths you have!" from "!Je!Que dientes grandes tienes"

The image is this one:

As you can see, the only readble part besides is that one (rigth corner, down) is the "!Uuuuppp!" in the upper rigth corner. If anyone has a better screencap...
PredatorPt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #155
Artemis
Warrior

I'm just glad he didn't cut off his leg. I did not want to see Jack torture Boone to death by trying to save him.

A small nitpick: Urchin spines are not hollow and you don't want to stick yourself with one, you will get an infection from the tissue on them. One urchin researcher I used to work with got so sensitive to them that he would get rashes on his knees through the holes in his wetsuit while diving from just touching them. Tropical ones are even worse in that respect than the temperate ones I deal with.
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #156
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callipygian
I thought it was a little far-fetched that Jack jumped to the conclusion that Locke murdered Boone. The little that Boone said would lead me to ask a lot of questions of Locke, but it wouldn't have led me to believe he murdered Boone.

I'll miss Boone. He was the best eye candy on the island. I guess I didn't notice his lack of acting skills.

What was the drug that Boone found in the plane? I was helping my son with something, and I missed it. I was thinking it might lead to some serious temptation down the road for Charlie.

Also, I could take a crack at the Spanish translation. I used to be fluent - read, write and speak Spanish. I've lost most of it through lack of use, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Calli
Hey Calli welcome to fleets!! (love your user name is it true?)

The drug found aboard the plane is heroin Charlies fav so yes I suspect this is going to pose a future challenge for Charlie. The only possible potential benefit to it's existence on the island is that it can be used as a very strong pain killer so would come in handy when Jack needs to perform surgery since they have only a few alcohol bottles left for who knows how many years.
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #157
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
I'm just glad he didn't cut off his leg. I did not want to see Jack torture Boone to death by trying to save him.

A small nitpick: Urchin spines are not hollow and you don't want to stick yourself with one, you will get an infection from the tissue on them. One urchin researcher I used to work with got so sensitive to them that he would get rashes on his knees through the holes in his wetsuit while diving from just touching them. Tropical ones are even worse in that respect than the temperate ones I deal with.

LOL I was wondering about that I couldn't remember if they were hollow or not funny how this show manages require "experts" from so many areas of life to help sort it out LOL

just because I'm about to get gruesome here I've put it in spoilers

Spoiler

I could not tell what the device was that Jack was going to use on Boone as I had looked away for a bit but I got the impression it was some sort of guillotine kind of thing, yet I didn't see him put a tourniquet on his leg first before attempting an amputation kind of an important step also unless he was utterly certain the device was powerful enough to slice through flesh and bone it would have been better if he had a blade and sewing material to cut through the flesh first all around the bone and then sew up the main arteries etc. or just taken the leg off at the knee joint then its just a matter of cutting through the joint and you have a nice ending to the leg and no worries about bone splinters etc. but you need some skin flap when your doing this in order to finish off the stump and if he just severed the leg straight he would not have had that or I suppose he could have cauterised it that's a possibility. Also Jack could have performed a fasciotomy which would not have necessarily required the amputation it would have relieved the pressure and the life threatening quality to the compartment syndrome but because Locke took off he had no way of knowing how long it had been and the usefulness of a fasciotomy is time dependent.
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #158
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorPt
Ok...using a screencap taken from this site:

http://www.lost-tv.com/

I could only translate this:

"My! What big teeths you have!" from "!Je!Que dientes grandes tienes"

The image is this one:

As you can see, the only readble part besides is that one (rigth corner, down) is the "!Uuuuppp!" in the upper rigth corner. If anyone has a better screencap...
PredatorPt thank you !!! you are very thoughtful there were a couple of eps in which the comic was shown I'll see if there is a more clear screen cap for you or Calli to take a stab at. team work LOL!
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #159
Artemis
Warrior

Thanks for the gruesome details Rowan LOL I hadn't thought of needing the extra skin to sew over the stump. All good points and all the more reason for him to not go through with it given the chance of survival at that point.
Both my husband and I were wondering about the door/hatch like object he was going to use. I don't remember it being there before and I can't think of what part of an airplane it would come from unless it is from the baggage compartment.
I got queasy thinking of the urchin spine stuck directly in Jack's vein and was waiting for his arm to turn purple. I guess none of the cast has had time during their filming in Hawaii to encounter urchins and how painful a poke from one can be.
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #160
PredatorPt
Bad Email Address

Does the comic appear in other episodes? I'm asking this 'cause here in Portugal we are only in Ep09 and searching the web for better screencaps and I came across this one (in a Lost thread in a "Alias" forum)

If anyone want, I can easily translate that screencap

And I came across this blog, with the story of the comic:

http://jollyblogger.typepad.com/joll...v_show_on.html
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #161
Rowan
On Vacation...

Yes the comic appears in a few episodes I can' t recall them all. We just saw ep 20 last night Great find by the way, and yes if you can translate that would be great . I'm just wondering if the comic provides any clues, I read somewhere from someone who produces the show that there are clues being left around to help us solve stuff, so I thought there might be something in this.
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #162
PredatorPt
Bad Email Address

Translation mode on!

Q)"What are you plans now?" - "?Cuales son ahora tus planes?"

A)"My plan it to die" - "Mi plan es morir"

Q)"What does telling them affect you? We are your puppets anyway" - "En quê te nos afecta decirnoslo? De todos modos, somos tu titeres"

A) Because of both of you and Gunther, I'm filled with sickness (" I'm ill " sounds better- but not as strong as the original phrase in Spanish). But I will share my pain - "Por culpa de ustedes y de Gunther, estoy plagado de enfermedades. Pero compartire mi dolor."

And then, the final text, said by the Green Lantern (the guy with the green cape and mask):

"We understand your pain. What we did half an century ago was wrong and what was done to you since then is beyond any kind of forgiveness. But if someone has to pay for it..."

Translation mode off

Maybe it's like in that movie "Dark City" - they aren't on a island, they are in some sort of alien spaceship and the aliens are taking revenge/experimenting with then?

Still lots of episodes to go here in Portugal, but I've been reading a lot and my bet is on the "they are all dead/purgatory" scenario
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #163
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default comments about last night's episode

Okay, so I guessed completely wrong--twice!--about who was going to die. But I guess that was the point--to throw you off completely. I knew that one of the characters was going to die; I just assumed it was to be in the season finale. If the accident with Boone had happened in the second-to-last episode, it would have been obvious he was on his deathbed.
On the other hand, my idea about returning as a ghost still would work for him.
As for Claire's baby, I hope she doesn't give him something trendy and ridiculous. It just wouldn't be an appropriate environment for a soap opera name. I think it should be something not necessarily Biblical, just early 20th century. Maybe she'll name him after a grandfather or great-grandfather.
But at this point, I suppose I shouldn't be disappointed if she (that is, the writers) comes up with something goofy.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #164
Eris
Shuttle Pilot

I honestly didn't think they were going to kill Boone. I swore the death would a twist we didn't see coming. So they faked me out...Boone was very pretty and I'm sorry to see him go. I'd hoped for more backstory, maybe next season...

The Locke/Jack conflict is going to be interesting, particularly since I like them both a great deal. Jack being married surprised me though I'm not sure why I thought he'd never been married.

Rowan, It's a little scary that you know all that. You obviously have a medical background. I am glad they didn't amputate his leg. I had enough trouble with setting his leg. I told my husband to tell me when they were done because I couldn't look and when it looked like Jack was going to amputate, I had to leave the room! Oddly enough, the blood didn't really bother me.

skippercollecto, I'm with you on the weird name thing. Although the writers could make it easy on us and just name him Lucifer or Gabriel...it would make figuring out whether he's good or evil much easier...
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #165
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris
Rowan, It's a little scary that you know all that. You obviously have a medical background.
LOL Hey Eris I finished my second year of nursing recently plus 6 years assisting Veterinarians it might be scary but I'd be useful on an island like that
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #166
Eris
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
LOL Hey Eris I finished my second year of nursing recently plus 6 years assisting Veterinarians it might be scary but I'd be useful on an island like that
Hey Rowan! As opposed to me, I think I'd probably be useless. I CAN swing a hammer but actually building things is a bit more problematic. And since I kill most plants I come near, I can't see me growing a garden. I guess I'll have to be a combination of Hurley and Sawyer...the comic relief who reads a lot.
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #167
Callipygian
Warrior

Looks like I got here a little too late to help with the comic book translation, but PredatorPt did a good job...I certainly can't add anything. Oh, and by the way Predator, I shared your belief in the purgatory theory until I read an interview somewhere with one of the Lost writers, and he clearly stated that they aren't dead, and the island is not purgatory. I'm not sure what to think now.

I think Claire should name her son Boone, especially since he was born on the same day that Boone died.

Thanks for the welcome, Rowan! As to your question about my username, I'll just say...my husband thinks so.

Calli
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #168
Artemis
Warrior

The whole thing with the numbers showed that they can't be dead and in a purgatory. The transmission was picked up by living people and it made a difference in their lives before coming to the island. Besides I don't think it would be something so simple.
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #169
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
Okay, so I guessed completely wrong--twice!--about who was going to die.
(((((((((((((((Mary)))))))))))))))))
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #170
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default what was the point of this episode?

What was the point of the last episode? I never thought I'd say this about LOST, but it was BORING! We learned nothing new. I ended up reading the newspaper and paying little attention to the episode.
Also, the synopses in the various TV schedules were wrong. One said that we would be shown what the survivors were doing on the plane before it crashed, and I never saw that. Another synopsis said there would be hints of what would happen in the next few episodes, but other than the previews, there was nothing. What a waste of an hour!
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #171
Fragmentary

I actually missed it. I thought it was just going to be a recap show. Was it an actual episode?
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #172
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hey Frag it was just kind of a recap of events with clips here and there from past episodes and some over dubing it was just a refresher for the May sweeps that are about to begin and the last 4 eps that will be aired. Have no fear you missed nothing
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:52 AM   #173
Fragmentary

That's good. I've invested too much time into this show to suddenly find out I missed an episode. Especially if one of my favorite characters got voted off the island. Wait, that something else isn't it?

Nice to see you again Rowan
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #174
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default may 4 question

I missed about five minutes of the May 4 episode. It was between the time that Locke took Sayid to the plane and admitted that he (Locke) was the one who hit Sayid on the head, to the time when Charlie was singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider." What happened in between?
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #175
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default comments about may 11 episode

These are my comments about the May 11 episode of Lost:
1. Did anyone catch the name of Claire's son? It sounded like she said "Tanner" or "Turner."
2. There were two comments that made me laugh out loud: The Survivor reference, when Sawyer snidely asked if he should be voted off the island, and the comment that Hurley made about not knowing who knew which secrets about which other character. Hurley's statement was of course repeating what has been discussed in all the Internet chat rooms!
3. A third comment didn't make me laugh, but it was kind of funny. Sawyer looked at Kate and said there was nothing to keep him on the island--meaning her, of course. But then Sawyer had also hit on Shannon, Jin and Claire, (and presumably every other woman there) and all of them had told him to get lost (pun intended).
4. One thing confused both me and a coworker (when we discussed it the next day at the office). Kate has her little toy plane with her on the island, yet at the end of the flashback, it was left in the car. Jackie and I both thought we'd missed something that told how she ended up with the plane again. I told her I guessed that story would be told in a future episode, unless I've forgotten something from this past season.
Mary
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #176
sropi

Not all of you may understand this, but since my greatest hobby is aviation I just can't let it go unnoticed. Who was that sponge minded idiot, that let that guy become a captain? It's nearly impossible to make a worse decision than his. Just what the hell did he think? Change course AFTER radio & transmitter are out? So that it if something happens (which did) eveyone will be looking in the wrong place for them. An old pilot'ssaying goes:"If ya' don't know where ya' are, just fly straight ahead" meaning DON'T EVER CHANGE COURSE!!!
Guess they didn't come up with a better way to explain why they can't be found.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #177
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default the others

Am I to assume that the "others" are rejects from Deliverance?! Oh, come onnnn! Can't the writers come up with anything better than that?!
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #178
Callipygian
Warrior

You're right, Skippercollecto. They did look like rejects from deliverance. So, are the "others" supposed to be pirates? And how did they know that Walt was on the raft? Do they just spend their time drifting out in the middle of nowhere looking for boys to abduct? Why? Are they supposed to be descended from the old slaver ship that they found on the island? That would be rather difficult without women. As usual, this episode provided more questions than answers.

On the good side, I thought it was funny how they used the science teacher to voice a lot of the viewers' nitpicks. And then they blew him up. Are they trying to tell us something?

At least we were left with one tidbit of info...Aaron is the name Claire chose for her baby. Well, my conjecture was once again waaayyy off. I thought she would name him Boone.

Does anyone know when Season Two begins?

Calli
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #179
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callipygian
. So, are the "others" supposed to be pirates? And how did they know that Walt was on the raft? Do they just spend their time drifting out in the middle of nowhere looking for boys to abduct? Why?
On the good side, I thought it was funny how they used the science teacher to voice a lot of the viewers' nitpicks. And then they blew him up. Are they trying to tell us something?
Calli
Seeing the old ship made me think of the Flying Dutchman, maybe the others can't die. As to knowing Walt was on the raft, I'm sure they had been watching the camp from the beginning they did have that other guy pretending to be a survivor.
I don't think they were drifting around, the island is big enough that they just launched their boat from somewhere else and knew they could catch up with a wind powered raft.
Why? We have to wait till next season but apparently it is an every 16 year event.
I did find the blowing up of the high school teacher funny. Here he is going on about how dangerous the stuff is and waving it about, then boom, he proves his point.
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #180
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Fantasy Island???
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote