Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old March 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Superman/Smallville Last Call for Tom

Hey everyone! Its time for Tom to head off in the sunset.

I've really enjoyed meeting and having fun with alot of fellow fans. And I have made many new friends here. But its time for a last call. I've been thinking of retiring for a looong while. Almost since the very start of admining I was thinking of my own exit. Before I started admining, there was a huge amound of hate and anger and pain. The forums were no longer a place to have fun. It was more focused on hating the new galactica than enjoying the old one.

My one major goal was to have the forums survive the hate that the miniseries and scifi would create, and to bring the forums to be a place where people posted more about having fun than how much hate they had. I always thought it was better to be happy and optomistic, than angry for a prolonged period of time. And when you get down to it, all of this is just fiction. And how much a person enjoys a single day of life is overwhelmingly more important than hate of any tv show.

I have to admit, I'm a little dissapointed. I would hope that the arguing would end. And for a very large part of it it has. But I still hear ultimatums and yellings and HUGE amounts of anger on occassion that I have to deal with. Its not everyday. But its neverending. Which was odd, cause I always came her wanting to enjoy a show, not to have do deal with people's anger. And that effects me. Both since I care about the people, and the forums. And selfishly, the huge amounts of time I put into it and not seeing it fall apart over and over. And in the end, it decreases my energy for creating art. Which is horrible since art is money to me.

So I'm going to be leaving the universe of battlestar galactica for an indefinite amount of time. No more forums. No more art. And I'm going to focus on other endeavers. I may be back to help Muffit with her dream project. I would like to not dissapoint her. I care about her quite alot. And I'll pop in on chat. And will be accessible on the net.

But I'm signing off with this post.

There are a few last thoughts I would like to say. The old show may never be continued, but how you deal with it is a measure of character. And Its a good thing to have hope in darkest times. And to express love with warmth to others and not hate. There is nothing that turns off the masses to the fanbase more than seeing fans hate each other. And the differences between any groups of fans are petty. And showing respect AND friendship for ALL people is a sign of nobleness.

And with those words, and a few images that will never be finished, this is Major Tom signing off....

I wish you all my best!

[post]warriorcarter.jpg[/post]

[post]shebawip001.jpg[/post]

[post]dancing-cylon.gif[/post]

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

My friend, this is not totally unexpected but, it doesn't make it any easier.

You have been a truly honest, loyal, and generous friend. I couldn't possibly explain in words what that means to me. All that I can do is to employ some of that very sage counsel with which you provided me. You WERE correct, then, and you ARE correct, now.

What you're describing, though, is not something solitary. Each of us travels a path trying to find happiness. Sometimes finding that happiness is very easy and sometimes one needs to travel quite a distance on that path to find it. Nonetheless, when you find happiness, the trip is deemed worthwhile regardless of the length of time spent on the path.

I am genuinely sorry that your quest will take you out of our field of vision but, I wish you well on your journey.

Ground Control to Major Tom - "We'll leave a light on for you."

Take care and keep in touch when you're able,

BST

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #3
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Dang shame.
Be well.
Drop by when you can.
Old March 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #4
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

First Muffit, now you Tom? I'm sad to see you go, and I think this place will lose a lot with you gone, but I can't say I don't understand your burnout. Live long and prosper, and may the force of inspiration be with you.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #5
Fragmentary

Sad to you see you go. Even more sad to know that it was a result of things that happened within the fandom. I hope you can recharge your batteries and poke your head back in down the road.

Things won't be the same here without you.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #6
amberstar
Strike Leader

Heart

My Dearest Tom

I know this is the best choice for you but without you CF will just not be like home anymore .........I will truly miss you

You have given this fandom so much, and I know that you've put in an endless amount of time into CF. Thank you my dear friend for all you've done.

Amber
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Tom, much has already been said on ICQ, so I won't go into it again here. Someone may mistake the mushy for mushie

Be well, old friend. Be seeing ya elswhere
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #8
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Interesting how this silly television show has caused so much pain and grief. It's to a point it's almost laughable. I cannot understand why we all get so wrapped up in such a thing but i guess it goes to the old saying that it's human nature to have conflict in our lives. Conflicting over a tv show has got to be the most wasted conflict of them all.

In the end there's always going to be goings and leavings. Like you told me Tom a while back you'd never shut the door no matter how much i begged you to close it for me. Same goes here. You know my feelings about this tv show and how i feel that it is still unrealized. And your right it quite possibly may never see it's true calling.

I've taken a different approach to it lately. I don't watch the new series but i've given up badgering it since it won't do me any good anyways. Instead i've refocused my energy to the one project that makes me smile, art. You've always said that art can be great in healing what ailes you.

In the end Tom practice what you preach. This forum is dedicated to BG but like i said earlier has become a community to alot of people. I don't have a idea where this place is going or for that matter BG but i do know that you can't stay away anymore than i could. So good luck my friend, you've always been a shinning light.

Don
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #9
gmd3d
Major

Sorry to see you leave tom . Its a sad day good luck

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #10
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Thomas,

You're a very talented guy and a thoroughly decent person, be safe, be well and be happy!

All the very best,

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #11
StarshipTrooper
Bad Email Address

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Admin
BattlestarGalacticaClub.com

WTF?

Hi,

Best of luck to you, Tom. You will be missed here, along with your top rate Battlestar Galactica artwork. I hope you make loads of cubits and return to us when you are ready.

Regards,

Nathan

P.S.

Darrell, I agree with Sandy's assessment. I hope you decide to step up to the plate and resume your role as owner and mod-in-chief for Colonial Fleets.

StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #12
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Whoa... slow down here.

I am *not* taking over ownership or anything of the like.

I am assisting a friend while she is away, and that is all.

When she returns, Fleets is still hers.

There is also another new Admin onboard, who I believe can do a great job- repcisg.

In fact, once he gets his feet wet and is moving around in the water ok, then hopefully I'll be able to step back a bit and let him do the main portion of the job
Old March 5th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #13
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Unhappy

I always enjoyed reading your posts, and it saddens me that I will no longer be able to read them, or see your wonderful artwork.
As someone once told me, take care of yourself, and take cover when needed.

Devin

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Spike The Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #14
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #15
cranky1c
Warrior

While our paths haven't crossed much, you've always seemed like a good man and I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. Best wishes and peace of mind.
cranky1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #16
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Thom,

What can I say that hasn't already been said. You have a home here.
I understand to need to move on to new projects. Been there and done that my self.

Just the same, I'll leave a light on for.

Best of luck.
Robert
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #17
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Wink

Wish you the best and I'm very sad to see you go. It have really been an honor to read your posts and see your art. You're very talented and have definitely contribute in this forum to increase the love I have for BG and the fandom. So I suppose everyone need a vacation some time, I'm going to see it as a vacation and hope to see you in the future again bringing us a lot of splendid BG things. Take care and good luck.
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #18
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Tom:

You are my friend. You not posting doesn't change that.

But I expect you'll be back, eventually. (I expect all my friends who are stepping away are just taking well-deserved and needed breaks.)

Until then, I'll see you elsewhere.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #19
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Tom,
Was out this weekend, so no idea if you will actually read this.

I was quiet about you wanting to go, because I knew I wanted you to stay. You are still one of my best online buddies. But your art matters most.

Be at peace, find restoration for that battle-wearied soul of yours. You did a lot to create the community and family that exist here. Your efforts were not in vain and your vision was what all visions are: a step ahead of where we are at the moment in time where the vision's given. The community has still been forged. Please go with the knowledge that you were a catalyst in making that happen.

It was worth doing. You did change some hearts to see others behind the words that disagreed. There is victory in those small things.

Be at Peace.

Now go create some art that serves you, even better than you've served us.

Fleet comline alpha....signal disengaged.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #20
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

EDIT: THis is NOT the post I spent a great deal of time trying to write last night. It was motivated SOLELY by my concern over some remarks Tom had made in leaving that I felt needed addressing, and I now discover that my remarks, which I went to a great deal of trouble to see to it were expressed fairly and with no slams at Tom or anyone else, have been censored for a reason I regard as not valid in the least bit.

Tom started this thread to announce he was leaving and now I take this opportunity to once again say I am outta here and this time it's for good because I will not remain part of a place where people can suggest that critics of TNS at this stage are somehow lacking in character or possessors of "hate" rather than "Hope" and those remarks are allowed to stand but a response to that is considered out of bounds.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #21
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Actually, Eric, your "post" has been preserved.

The reason it's edited here (and a PM sent to you by the Moderator that acted on it) is because of certain aspects of it.

That portion of it should have been taken to PM to Tom directly, or to the Beefs forum.

No one is telling you that you cannot post what you posted. BUT there is a proper place for it, and this wasn't it.
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #22
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I haven't said goodbye to Tom yet....

It's hard saying goodbye to all these people and yet one more...!

Tom - I'll miss the amazing artwork, I'll miss all the fun discussions regarding what Anime shows we have in common, I'll miss the introspective BSG chats we've had, but most of all, I will miss you....

You've been a good friend, you've been a good leader at times and you've been one of the most amazing people that I've met during my time at Fleets. It's not gonna be the same place without you, mate. Even though you can get someone else to admin the forum, you can't replace the person. There is a big hole where Tom used to be....

I don't know what else to say, this is so difficult and that's why it's taken me a few days to get it together, but I still don't feel like it's enough.

I would like to say something to everyone while I'm doing this. This website we hang out at, Colonial Fleets, it's more than a place to talk about Battlestar Galactica or SciFi, or whatever else. Most of all, it's a community. A place, where if you are lucky enough, you will make a connection with the people here and it will become your internet home away from home, not just a place to post your thoughts or play head games with one another.

We might come here because of a shared interest, but the reason for staying is the people that make up the membership. It's one of the things that keeps me around even though we have those ugly days, or have a fit about how someone isn't seeing eye to eye with you that afternoon. I've had a tantrum or two of my own and made mistakes modding from time to time, but even if I gave up the job part of it, I would never leave this place. I just couldn't.

I'm glad I'm a part of this place and I couldn't think of a better place or better people to spend my free time with.

Tom - we will all miss you very much and hope that you come back to your "family" one day...

Best regards always,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #23
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999

We might come here because of a shared interest, but the reason for staying is the people that make up the membership.

Beautiful words, Bryan.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #24
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Good luck and God Bless. You will be sorely missed.

Mike
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #25
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999

We might come here because of a shared interest, but the reason for staying is the people that make up the membership.
Beautiful words, Bryan.

"Brought a tear to my eye." - Scotty, Star Trek- Generations
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #26
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

well said Gemini and right on

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #27
BRG
Warrior

Indeed, very well said Bryan.

I can't do anything else but repeat what most have already said. I'm sorry you are leaving Tom, we will miss you, and we hope you return someday.

Your friend.
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #28
nightscape2112
Warrior

well what more is there to say that has not already been said. tom you know you are loved and will be greatly missed by everyone here, myself included. since i first came to this bboard you were a person that always had something nice to say to all newbies. you made us feel welcome and i was always thankfull for that.

over the years many have come and gone but your leaving is the most shocking. i dont know the pressure of running /admin a bboard. i can guess that it is alot of work and headaches. please know that the time you spent here had meaning. i will always think of you and fleets as being one. it is hard to imagine a fleets without you in it.

i will leave you with a quote and wish you a happy and full life.

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
--Sir Winston Churchill

peace and friendship

nightscape/robert
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #29
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto...

-JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #30
Antelope

Good luck Tom. Drop by when you get some free time. Put this all in perspective. Make your foraways here a fun moment. Thanks for all the art and kind words. I hope to bump into you once in a while over time. You don't need to be here everyday to be a member of the family.