Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old October 8th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Star Trek ENTERPRISE season premiere tonight!

When last we saw our hero, CaptainArcher he was caught sacrificing himself to explode a doomsday device about to destroy the earth! He didn't escape. But after...(before?) the explosion he awaks...and does a quantum leap back to Nazi germany, where he discovers the Gustapos are actually aliens!!!

Are you going to tune in TONIGHT for the exciting conclusion?!?!?!??!

Welll...I'll give it a try...but my god was that a bad way to end a season. I actually was hoping that would have been it. But its back with promises of a major makeover.

I wonder if that ending was a last act of spite from the previous writing crew?

Whoknows...lest just pray that this show finally lives up to the original Trek.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #2
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

I've stated at other Sci-Fi forums that I felt I was looking at new episodes of "Quantum Leap". The writers need to move away from all the time travel and time line distortion stories. It's ok to have one episode about time travel a season. There are so many questions about the early days of the Federation, the Romulan and Klingon wars/conflicts, Tholians, Gorns, etc, etc. The Andorians seems to be an interesting race. Like to see more of them. Just look at all the "Lost Races" from the original series. Plenty of material there to write good episodes. Archer and T'Pol should have a relationship instead of Trip. They hinted at it in the "Twilight" episode.

The characters seem to be too much alike, not enough conflict, contrast, or disagreements (fun or otherwise) between them to make them interesting or memorable. For instance: Trip doesn't remind anybody of Scotty, Geordi, B'Elanna, Miles, etc. Each of those characters had their own personality but were respected and believable Chief Engineers. Trip comes off as some punk HS kid everybody wishes they could beat to a pulp. Add some more humor into the series, at least between characters. I don't recall anybody stating at any of the forums that they would like to see one Enterprise character being showcased in an episode or want to see more of a particular character. The MACO's seemed more interesting as is Shran and the Andorians. But that is my opinion.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Captain Bran
Shuttle Pilot

The season opener was awesome! I am feeling positive about season 4. They seem to be pulling out all the stops to make this show a winner.

Captain Bran
Captain Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Bijou88

I enjoyed the opening episode. I am a history buff and I enjoy alternate historical fiction. This episode was tailor made for me. One line gave me pause however. Daniels told Archer that the entire temporal cold war would be prevented from happening if Archer stops the aliens in 1944. If Archer succeeds, does this mean the the past three seasons will be erased? This would be the ultimate reset button! If this happens, I would be cool with it since many of the concepts introduced in past seasons undermined what Trek is all about. I am looking forward to the rest of the season. With Manny Coto at the helm and Braga/Berman in the back seat, thing should prove interesting. It is exciting that a fan of the original series is calling the creative shots on the show!

Old October 8th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

HA HA! Funny Warrior!

Anyway, I really liked the episode - good pace, tight writing, well executed. Makes me look forward to the season. Coto did good.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

YUP.

Also Sam Becket and Al did leap to just at the end of World War II.

I did see this episode And I did like the new writing. I'm not so happy with the plotline. But the writing of dialog and character interactions I think has a perceivable jump up in quality. At least in the opener. I HOPE they can maintain it. And I hope they can get off the time travel plotlines. I am tired of them.

How much time travel can one actor do in his lifetime?!?!!!!

Old October 8th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #7
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I liked the episode for the most part, but like Tom, I'm not all that enthralled with the storyline. My favorite scene was where the shuttlepod was headed towards San Francisco and those P-51's started firing on it! I know that it's not a big story element, but I liked it all the same.

I'm looking forward to the next story arc starts when Brent Spiner shows up.....! That'll be something worth seeing!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I haven't gotten to see a single episode of Star Trek: Enterprise since 2nd Season.

I am soooo deprived.

Martok the Missing out on a lot cause he can't afford cable and internet at the same time.
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #9
Rowan
On Vacation...

(((((((((((((Steve)))))))))))))) have you forgotten that I'm video taping this season and will send you a copy and I have a DVD of season 3 (which you will have to watch at the library) but it's yours if you want it all I need is an address
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #10
Rowan
On Vacation...

I really loved season 3 it finally got interesting for me. I loved watching Archer breaking moral and ethical codes. I actually sat on the edge of my seat on every show this past season. I loved that characters I liked were killed off, it made it more realistic for me. I’m leery about this 4th season with the way it’s starting I hate the going back in time to earth stuff!!! I want to be out roaming far from earth. I've always hated every show that depicted the crew of any Enterprise being on earth in the past it drives me nuts (even on the holodeck). I want them out in outer space. When they ended last season the way they did I though oh no not again! Now it looks like this season is going to dwell on the “alternate past” and taking place on earth which if it does they are going to lose me again.
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:48 AM   #11
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
All I have are a few sporadic eps from Season One.

I don't get UPN, so I haven't been able to watch it at all
Are you saying you would like a copy too?
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:00 AM   #12
Rowan
On Vacation...

I'm trying to "aquire" those two seasons but I can't say if I'm successful yet ....
With regards to the DVD the drawback is that they are only watchable on a computer, so I don't know if that would interest you or not?
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:10 AM   #13
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Well... I have a computer...
LOL just checking... I know sometimes people can be "picky" but it's certainly better than nothing
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:18 AM   #14
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default enterprise season premiere

What did I just watch?
A. V?
B. Quantum Leap?
C. The first three episodes of Galactica 1980?
D. A Harry Turtledove novel? (does he know the Trek writers have stolen his plots?)

It sure didn't look like any Star Trek!

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #15
Rowan
On Vacation...

I got all teary tonight at the end of the show when T'pol says there are many ships coming *sigh* Yay they did it! (I get way to caught up in this stuff! LOL)
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM   #16
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

ACK! Thanks for reminding me!!!!! ohh....crap....I'm too late....

NO JOY!

Old October 15th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #17
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
I certainly hope these new eps are being recorded...
Yup!
Old October 15th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #18
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
ACK! Thanks for reminding me!!!!! ohh....crap....I'm too late....

NO JOY!
Ya know I would love to remind you of these things but unless you turn on your IM thing it makes it challenging to comunicate with you fast!!! LOL! I'm sending you a PM
Old October 15th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #19
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thanks Rowan!

It is on. YOu should be able to see me. But I don't see you!

Tom was busy fixing the template so we can display those I luv cf bumperstickers. Apparently a few people coudnt see them

Old October 15th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #20
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Thanks Rowan!

It is on. YOu should be able to see me. But I don't see you!

Tom was busy fixing the template so we can display those I luv cf bumperstickers. Apparently a few people coudnt see them
Something very odd has been happening to me lately with IM every now and then my computer or the internet shuts down all my IM things without warning all of a sudden everything is just gone and Ive been signed out now I can't sign back on to one of them and I can't access any yahoo e-mail accounts!
Old October 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #21
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Even though I still prefer Yahoo...the whole thing is buggier than a Sunday picnic.

Martok2112
Old October 16th, 2004, 05:43 AM   #22
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Trek and Nazis:

Enterprise isn't the first to tackle them. I remember a 2 part Voyager where Janeway and crew were fighting aliens disguises as Nazi's in the holodeck.

Kirk and Spock fought them in Patterns of Force. Talk aboult alternate development. John Gill a Federation historian is sent to help a planet and manages to make them go the same route as Germany becoming Fuhrer. Melakon kills Gill at the end is subsequentially killed himself since he the one truly running things (Gill was drugged).

The City on the Edge of Forever- Kirk must stop McCoy from changing history. Sister Edith Keeler is for peace and if she lives will convince Roosevelt not to enter the war allowing for the germans to develop the bomb. They win and there is no Federation.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #23
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm just glad its over. I hope that's the last of the time travel stories

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #24
Rowan
On Vacation...

I don't know about the rest of you but I found it very disturbing and so did my bf to watch / listen to the first part of that show when we get to hear the radio or tv broadcast and te anouncer is talking about the germans being welcome in the US and how they are allies of the US meanwhile they are actually occupying the US militarily it was unerving, creeped us out! LOL!
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #25
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
I'm just glad its over. I hope that's the last of the time travel stories
That was the impression we were left with no more time travel! YAY!
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #26
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I had an interesting revelation when it comes to Trekdom, especially when it comes to Enterprise. When I heard that the second half of Storm Front got even lower ratings (in the overnights anyway) than the first half did last week, I decided to cruise the board over at TrekBBS.

You wanna know what flabbergasted me? When I looked at the heading for the Enterprise thread, it has a section that shows how many people are looking at each thread. How many were looking at the Enterprise thread at that moment?

144 people! Damn!

It just blew my mind to think that 144 people were all viewing the same thread at the same time. That's more than all of the active posters we have here at Fleets....

Anyway, I did like the episode and I thought it was good that they finally tied up the "temporal cold war" stuff without dragging it out any longer. It's too bad that people aren't watching like they were before, but you had to wonder if people were gonna come back to see if things got better. How will ratings go up if you can't get people to watch in the first place?

1.7 million for one episode.....that's pretty low! Let's hope it improves...

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #27
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I don't have a blanket objection to time travel stories.
Actually, I hope that some future trek series is devoted to time travel stories, picking up on the Temporal Investigations unit from DS9 and the Timeships from the future in Voyager.
Such a show, if well written, could keep changing cast and environment each epsidoe, and revisit random elements in the timeline.

I missed the first part, and the second didn't grab my attention.

1.7 million would be decent ratings for cable, a little above what has sustained SG:1.

The real question is, how many geeks were watching Andromeda instead of Trek? That is the injury after the insult.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:38 PM   #28
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm not oposed to time travel either. Its just Altering reality seems to me a crutch for a lack of imagination to find interesting stories in the reality as is. I like STNG's Yesterday's Enterprise where the NCC1701C comes through a rift in time. That was a well written story. But this time wars thing seems to be more a case of B&B being unable to find interesting things in their universe.

Which to me is amazing. You got Man in the future! Man in Space! Exploring deep space for the first time! And they can't think of a good storyline in that?

I actually was enjoying Andromeda more than Enterprise till this season. But Andromeda's writing has taken an unbelievable drop in quality. The stories don't even makes sense in an episodes continuity. Its really bad almost saturday morning quality writing. I think what ever horrible writers were on Enterprise must have been booted off Enterprise and taken over Andromeda!

Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:48 PM   #29
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Enterprise on the other hand was pretty good tonight!

It was simple stories. But higher quality. Not perfect. But at least we are making our characters more 3D. And the side characters seem less predictable.

I liked Archer's dark side struggling with himself while everyone is calling him a hero. And I like seeing Tpol's mom and the repercussions of her actions on her Mom. Joanna Cassidy did a good stint as a vulcan. Though this was a tad too emotional more than logical for Vulcans.

My only other qualm was that stadium looked pretty bad. And cheap. But the Vylcan Firefalls were well done.

Old October 24th, 2004, 10:37 PM   #30
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Didn't Troy and Dillon already go back in time to take care of those guys?

That was the ALTERNATE alternate timeline.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote