Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old May 9th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #1
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

Default O/T another ship needs saving. please help

Hello All. I served on the USS America when I was in the Navy way back when, and the Nations flagship is in danger of being sold for razor blades. Please write your congressman, senator hell even write to W. himself. please help save the nations flagship. Below is a sample letter I sent to George. Please feel free to use it.

May 9, 2003
Conley Presnell
304 Dare St.
Burlington, NC 27217
E-Mail: deckape420@earthylink.net

Dear Mr. President

Sir, I served aboard the aircraft carrier, USS AMERICA CVA66 during September of 1969 - March of 1973.
The USS AMERICA was named by President John F. Kennedy.
President Kennedy, named her our “Nations Flag Ship.”
All during the USS AMERICA’s illustrious career, she was and honored her name as our
NATIONS FLAG SHIP.
Our organization, USS AMERICA MUSEUM FOUNDATION, would like to respectfully request to have Congress pass a CONGRESSIONAL RESOLUTION to have the USS AMERICA to be named and honored as the Flag Ship of the United States.
Unfortunately, the USS AMERICA now sits idly in the Philadelphia Naval Ship Yard, awaiting to be scrapped.
Our organization has been working diligently to save, restore, and turn her into a state of the art museum and educational facility.
We feel this would be a fitting tribute to the USS AMERICA and all of her crew who served her and our great nation with not only distinction but with exemplary honor and in the highest Naval Tradition.
The USS AMERICA has been taken part in every skirmish and crisis this nation has been involved with since she was commissioned right up until her decommissioning.
In fact, the USS AMERICA was the only East Coast Carrier to serve three tours in Vietnam, including Operation Line backer I & II which helped to bring an end to that war on January 28, 1973, and to help bring our POW’s home.

Lets not forget the ISRAELI INCIDENT on the USS LIBERTY,
FIRST SHIP TO TRANSIT THE SUEZ CANAL SINCE THE INTERPID IN 1967,
PANAMA, GRANADA,
SUPPORTED MULTI PEACE KEEPING FORCES OFF THE COAST OF LEBANON 1983,
GULF of SIDRA- FREEDOM of NAVIGATION FIGHT WITH COLONEL KHADAFI of LIBYA 1986,
DESERT SHIELD / DESERT STORM,
OPERATION DENY FLIGHT OVER BOSNIA 1993,
OPERATION UPHOLD DEMOCRARY IN HAITI 1994,
OPERATION DELIBERATE FORCE IN BOSNIA 1995, and KOSOVO.

I can go on and on about the USS AMERICA and all of her noble and honorable accomplishments, but to save you time, the USS AMERICA and her complete history maybe obtained and viewed on our web site at
www.ussamerica-museumfoundation.org

If further information is needed or if you have any questions,
PLEASE do not hesitate to contact me immediately.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Conley presnell
USS AMERICA CARRIER VETERANS ASSOCIATION MEMBER
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #2
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

ooops sorry I copied the letter from another souce, I served between 1981 to 1985. thanks
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #3
Agelastus
Warrior

Good luck.

In my country we even sent the Warspite to the scrapyard. Anyone who knows her history in two World Wars can't be happy about that, even if it was fifty plus years ago.

Still, having seen just how many warships are preserved in America, and in some cases being surprised at what was chosen, I still find it hard to believe that the WWII Enterprise was never saved.
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

Though I have never served on ship, I fully understand the se ntiment. Imagine how Adama would have felt, if the peace had come off, and the Galactica was turned into hovermobile bumpers. Any news on the campaign to save her?
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote