Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #31
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
The monsters I remember best are these

The Bringers of Wonder was the shows only two part episode in Season 2.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #32
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
~~~~~~~
Look out Little Tommy there HEEEEEEEERRRRRRE

Dragon's Domain rocked.
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #33
Bijou88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
The Bringers of Wonder was the shows only two part episode in Season 2.

I think this is the only two part episode in the entire series. It is one of the best stories from year two. I agree, Dragon's Domain is a great episode. The monster is creepy. I also like that they showed events that took place before Breakaway. It was cool to see the main characters in a flash back sequence before the series. I woncer where the series would have gone in a 3rd (4th, 5th and 6th?) year.
Old July 24th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #34
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Oh! There was another one I liked! Remember that one in second seasn where Earth contacted them and tried to transporter them home?

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #35
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Oh! There was another one I liked! Remember that one in second seasn where Earth contacted them and tried to transporter them home?

I believe that one was Journey To Nowhere. Koenig, and crew are almost burned at the stake for their efforts.
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #36
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I believe that one was Journey To Nowhere. Koenig, and crew are almost burned at the stake for their efforts.
Paul -

The actual title of the episode was "Journey To Where" - Moonbase Alpha is contacted by a team of scientists from Texas City on Earth, where it is now the year 2120. The scientists offer the Alphans a way to return home by means of a Neutrino-based matter transporter device. While making the first test, John Koenig, Helena Russell and Alan Carter are accidentally transported back in time to Scotland in the year 1339, due to a seismic shift back on Earth while the transport is in progress. The ancient Scots mistake the Alphans as "witches" due to some of the modern technology in their possession and almost burned at the stake.

Best,
Bryan
________
Marijuana test
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #37
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:

5. Journey to Where (click here to get pictures and the whole show's synopsis)
Alpha receives a neutrino transmission from Texas City, planet Earth, telling them that it is possible to build a transporter capable of returning the stranded Alphans to Earth. After several safety tests, it is time to send humans through. Koenig, Helena, and Alan are the first to enter the transference beam, but an Earthquake occurs at the same moment diverting the beam off course. Koenig's team now find themselves lost in space and time, and the scientists of Texas City, and Moonbase Alpha have a limited window of opportunity to rescue them, but where and when to look?

Gemini I LOVE your friends site!!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #38
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thx.
Old July 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #39
Bijou88

I wish that the creators of Space: 1999 had used the Hawks from the episode War Games as part of the regular series. It would have been cool for Moonbase Alpha to have a wing of Hawks to defend the base. Don't get me wrong, I love Eagles, they look like a ship that is an extention of current space technology. The Hawks are tougher and are war ships. It would have been nice to see more of them for variety.

The Hawks were used alot in promotional materials and Space: 1999 comics. But only once in ther series itself. UFO had those cool fighters. Some people believe that Space: 1999 and UFO are part of the same universe. Imagine those fighters defending Moonbase Alpha!
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #40
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88
Some people believe that Space: 1999 and UFO are part of the same universe. Imagine those fighters defending Moonbase Alpha!
Bijou -

Space:1999 and UFO are connected, but only in a "behind the scenes" way. The genesis of Space:1999 came from an unproduced season 2 for UFO (to be called either UFO 2 or UFO:1999) In the proposed second season of UFO, the emphasis of the series was to be on the moon and in space, as opposed to being a largely earth-bound series.

In the end, the second season of UFO was scrapped due to low ratings and Space:1999 was borne from some of the unused concepts.

If you want to know more, there are plenty of Space:1999 websites with the detailed backstory...

Best,
Bryan
________
Lovely Wendie99
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #41
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I noticed how UFO and Space 1999 complemented each other well!

The Andersons were really an exceptional team. The wife did the costume designs right? And the spaceship models were incredible even by todays special effects standards.

The only thing really missing from the spaceship effects is the incredible feeling of movement you get by using a motion control camera. That is the difference that made Galactica's space battle scenes so fun to watch. They were able to use the same motion control camera set up created by Star Wars (they even used the same people!)

But the models are still some of the most incredible work I've ever seen.

If you look at the Thunderbird the Movie trailers, the ships really lose something compared to Anderson's work.

Old July 25th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #42
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Oh Rowen! That link you had was excellent!

They had this marvelous video! It was That very pretty short dark haired girl who was one of the secondary characters. She gives a 6 minute long soliloquy telliing of the last days of Alpha!

This was such a wonderful blast from the past!

http://www.space1999.net/users/moonbase99/video9.htm

It takes awhile to load though! Its 31 megs!!!!

Old July 25th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #43
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Oh Rowen! That link you had was excellent!

They had this marvelous video! It was That very pretty short dark haired girl who was one of the secondary characters. She gives a 6 minute long soliloquy telliing of the last days of Alpha!

Thomas -

You must be speaking of Message From Moonbase Alpha... That is a really nice capper to the series! I beleive it was written by one of the original writers for Space:1999 and was fan-produced for the 1999 convention in Los Angeles. It was very well received (not a dry eye in the house...!) and with a lot of lobbying, it was added to the DVD release as an Extra on the post-release Bonus Disk.

Best,
Bryan
________
Headshop
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #44
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
I noticed how UFO and Space 1999 complemented each other well!

The Andersons were really an exceptional team. The wife did the costume designs right? And the spaceship models were incredible even by todays special effects standards.

The only thing really missing from the spaceship effects is the incredible feeling of movement you get by using a motion control camera. That is the difference that made Galactica's space battle scenes so fun to watch. They were able to use the same motion control camera set up created by Star Wars (they even used the same people!)

But the models are still some of the most incredible work I've ever seen.

If you look at the Thunderbird the Movie trailers, the ships really lose something compared to Anderson's work.

IMHO if the Thunderbirds movie does well we will be seeing more Space 1999. I remember Michael Faries mentioning something about a Space 1999 movie.
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #45
Bijou88

I would love a Space: 1999 movie! I guess they would have to call it Space: 2026. While it would be fun to see how Moonbase Alpha has fared over the past quarter century, I fear this is a ship that has passed. The show is sadly rather obscure to today's audiences. Space: 1999 was hardly ever rerun after it went off the air. Battlestar Galactica, in compariosn with fewer episodes. seemed to pop up on the tube all the time. I also don't think many of the original cast would want to come back. Sadly, Tony Anholt, The actor who played Tony Verdeschi, passed away a few years ago. Would I pay to see a Space: 1999 movie? Yes! Will it happen? I think the possibility is very remote. I guess we will have to be satisfied with the tantalizing glimpses of Moonbase Alpha's final fate from the fantastic short "Message from Moonbase Alpha."
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #46
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

Quote:
The monsters I remember best are these

Uh-oh!

Ewwww! Them's the things that put me off me Cornish Pasties!

Shoo, you big lumpy one-eyed tentacle things!

Feeling a bit queasy,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #47
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

There is one Space 1999 fanmade episode I want to see. They took the parts of several episodes from first and second season. And they made a smooth joining of a moonbase with both first and second season characters. But then the base was attacked and Victor and others were killed. And it made a logical transition episode from one season to the next.

I wanna see it!!!! But have no clue how to see it!

Old July 28th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #48
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
There is one Space 1999 fanmade episode I want to see. They took the parts of several episodes from first and second season. And they made a smooth joining of a moonbase with both first and second season characters. But then the base was attacked and Victor and others were killed. And it made a logical transition episode from one season to the next.

I wanna see it!!!! But have no clue how to see it!

Tom -

I've heard of that one too.....I've never seen it myself(I'm blanking on the title), but I do know that it is not available for commercial distribution. Like Richard's Second Coming trailer, the only way to see it will be at a convention due to licensing issues with Carlton and A&E. The fan-edited version was shown at both the 1999 and 2000 Space:1999 conventions and is quite popular. I do know that there are SpaceCons planned for next summer - one is in LA and the other is in Tampa. If you want, I could do some inquiring to find out if it will be shown or not.

Later,
Bryan
________
Extreme q""
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #49
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:

Thanks for the link, Tom and Rowan!

Ya know, I've just got to get the DVD's...I've got a lot of catching up to do!!

On a future visit to my parents' house, I've got to check through some of my stuff (from younger days).....I think that I have a model of the Eagle. Not sure, memory fades, ya know...but, I think I have it. Hopefully, it didn't get 'blasted to bits'. That ship was so dang cool!!

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #50
Bijou88

Does anyone have a theory that would explain the great changes between year one and two? I know that, in reality, there was a new producer who wanted to make the sets and uniforms more colorful. The feeling was that the first season was too grim and serious. The Producer, Fred Freiburger, wanted to juice up the ratings with more action-adventure stories that were not as cerebral. But what is the explaination in the "reality" of the Space: 1999 universe? Why did the Alphans change their uniform styles? Where did they get the resources to do so? Why was Main Mission abandoned for the smaller control center? Where was Tony during year one? How did he get to be second in command? What happened to Kano, Victor and Paul? Why is everyone so cheerful? The show never explained any of these questions. I guess it is up to the fans of the show to come up with some answers.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #51
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88
Does anyone have a theory that would explain the great changes between year one and two?
Bijou -

There really isn't a "theory" that applies to the disparity between Year 1 and Year 2. They are completely separate productions and not filmed back to back as most series are. Year 1 was filmed and produced all in one 24 episode run and then sold to various stations around the world as part of a first-run syndication package. Year 1 of Space:1999 didn't air until 1975, but I've heard tell that production may have started as early as 1973. When Year 1 aired, it was somewhat successful, but not as successful as ITC would have liked. Basically, it was considered a failure and needed some 're-tooling" for the series to succeed, but on a less expensive budget.

When ITC made the decision to bring Fred Freiberger in to "fix" the show there was no existing production of Space:1999 and basically, they took the existing format and let Freiberger make his changes. Remember that Freiberger was also brought in to "save" Star Trek in its third season and where did that go...? I should also add, by the time this was happening, Sylvia and Gerry Anderson were divorced and Sylvia had left her job as Producer - she was mostly responsible for her input regarding character development and design areas of their productions while they worked together as a team.

I do respect each series for what it brings - they are both interesting to watch, but I tend to re-view Year 1 episodes more often than I do Year 2 episodes.

I hope that sheds some light....

Best,
Bryan
________
LovelyWendie99
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #52
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Thanks for the link, Tom and Rowan!

Ya know, I've just got to get the DVD's...I've got a lot of catching up to do!!

On a future visit to my parents' house, I've got to check through some of my stuff (from younger days).....I think that I have a model of the Eagle. Not sure, memory fades, ya know...but, I think I have it. Hopefully, it didn't get 'blasted to bits'. That ship was so dang cool!!

Pete -

Since this thread got started, I pulled out my Space:1999 DVDs and started watching some of the episodes again. I've watched "Dragon's Domain", "Voyager's Return", "Testament of Arkadia" & "Mission of the Darians". It's been a while, but I've been enjoying the look and feel of the universe that Space:1999 was part of - if nothing else, it certainly was unique to say the least.

As to that Eagle model, I've got an unbuilt plastic model that I bought in a hobby shop a couple of years ago. A few months ago, I bought one of the newly released Product Enterprises Eagles - it is proudly displayed on a shelf above my PC where I can look at it whenever I am surfing the web. It cost a bit, but I really love the detailing on it! Product Enterprises is coming out with a number of different Eagle models - I think that there are 4 or 5 in all. Take a look:

12" Eagle Transporter & Rescue Eagle

12" Eagle Freighter & Medical Eagle

It is interesting to see new toolings of Space:1999 memoriabilia at the same time we are seeing a re-remergence of TOS BSG stuff as well....!

Best always,
Bryan
________
GOSSIP GIRL ADVICE
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #53
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Bryan, have you seen those really nice BIG models that available? They looked VERY nice!