Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old September 10th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default BSG video game website...

A while ago I posted a thread asking about your reaction to the video game. The result seemed to be sllightly mixed, with some saying that it too closely resembles the new mini and would not be buying it and others saying that it holds true somewhat to the original and because Richard and Dirk have parts in it that it is worth buying.

THey have just released an official game website and if you think that this game pays homage to the original series, you're sadly mistaken. The opening narration for the game is almost verbatim from the mini. The concept of man creating the Cylons is intact from the mini, the shots of the vipers are exactly the ones used in the mini, the character name of "husker" Adama is the one used in the mini, the BSG title on the game box is exactly the one used in the mini, etc. etc.

You know where I'm going with this one. I think Richard and Dirk were duped or did not make an informed decision before they signed on to this one.

Again, I reiterate my position, this game is just a mini in disguise and I will not be buying it...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default website

here it is...

http://www.battlestargalacticagame.com/

Old September 10th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #3
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Wow those Character designs are terrible,(Oh Common 20 something Adama flying a viper,joined the acadamy at the age of 15....Right!) the ships are ok, but that Cylon imperious leader, is so run of the mill plain, looks like something from babylon 5.

Disappointed.

Rich
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

As I said over at CA:

I spent some of my lunch hour trying to watch the trailer (for some reason I can't get it to play smoothly, but I caught enough).

I'm afraid that at this point, at least, I have to agree with Charybdis.

The narration is straight out of the mini - and I mean, literally, straight out of the mini. "Ten years ago the skys again turned black with Cylon raiders". Now, is this narration in the introduction sequence of the game? I didn't hear any more because of the playback issues (and my wife called). If it is, that places this game as a prequel to the mini, not TOS. (And the voice is hideous, in my opinion - fake accent done badly.)

Additional data: According to the character bio, Adama's father was killed in the first days of the war - hardly possible if the "Thousand Yahren War" concept was being used. Again, prequel to the mini.

The graphics appear to be based on TOS, though. But, the graphics of the mini are also based on TOS (the Viper, anyway), so there's no room for comparison there.

With the data available to me now, I conclude that the game is set up as a prequel to the miniseries, not TOS. That may not have been how the game started out life, but that's how it is in its final form.

I am willing to be converted (my son-in-law has an X-Box), but for now I say that the purchase of the game will be supporting the miniseries, not TOS; we should not buy it.

So convert me.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:58 AM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Dawg Try This

http://www.battlestargalacticagame.c...=256&width=320
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #6
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Basic Premise...

The basic premise of the game is EXACTLY like the mini. The Colonials created the Cylons and the machines revolted. They are in the midst of fighting the ten year war before the era of peace.

If you knew nothing of the original series, you would absolutely think that this game is a companion piece to the mini...

Old September 12th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #7
dru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
The graphics appear to be based on TOS, though. But, the graphics of the mini are also based on TOS (the Viper, anyway), so there's no room for comparison there.

With the data available to me now, I conclude that the game is set up as a prequel to the miniseries, not TOS. That may not have been how the game started out life, but that's how it is in its final form.
I think this game is trying to split hairs and please both productions. Few know the Cylons in the original were meant to be creations of an alien race of reptiles since that was a cut scene. In the game opening the human ancestors had created the Cylons which rebelled sometime after they and their humans arrived to the solar system of what we know as the 12 colonies. The ancient Colonials forced the Cylons away.

The voice over suggests this is the "end of 6th millenium in the era of the Cylon wars." 10 years prior to the game, Caprica was attacked.

It's a little hokey and not really fitting what I remember of the aired TOS but I can appreciate the balance they're trying to strike here.

The preview clip uses a modified version of the original theme (I understand that won't be the case for GSB03, right?) and slight modifications of the original designs. The 2003 Moore edition has completely new designs for the Cylon baseships and Raiders and won't be using the original designs at all.

I don't have a game console but I'd consider picking up this game if I thought it would help the Battlestar cause without being directly tied to the "success" of the miniseries. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before my nephew will have a compatible system anyway if he doesn't already.

So on the pro-TOS side we have Hatch and Benedict doing voice work (as well as Howlin' Mad "A-Team" Co-Star Dwight Shultz--remember the Cylon 'in-joke'?). We have TOS designs for the Raiders, Battlestar, and Basestar. The Viper it basically the mini's reversion.

I don't know if you can mold the "lore" of the voice over into what we know from TOS or not. I'm not as intimately familar with TOS detail.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #8
Shatter
Bad Email Address

I do like the fact that the ship designs retain elements from TOS and the fact that Benedict and Hatch were involved. However, the fact that the storyline of the game is obviously tied directly to the continuity of the upcoming mini-series is, for me, simply too large of a problem to ignore. Even if this was not the programmers' original intention, it's clear that this game has become tied in with the reimagining, which is something I do not want any part of. This is something of a disappointment. I had hoped that the game would be tied enough to TOS that I could purchase and enjoy it, but that doesn't look like it is the case.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #9
amberstar
Strike Leader

The game has aspects of both versions of BSG but the Moore mini has heavily out weiged TOS elements.
It was good to once again hear Phiilips musical score.
Who's voice was in the begining? Was it #6, the female cylon??
The graphixs look ok and at least there is sound in space, but the theme is wrong here. You can tell Moore had a hand in this. In the whole preview I did not see where Richard or Dirk had a place. Does anyone know where their voices are?
If this supports the mini it will not be on my list to of things to buy.
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #10
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

I don't know if Dirk's and Richard's voices are going to be enough for me to buy this game. I'll probably rent it first to be sure, but what I have seen thus far in that trailer smells way too much of "the mini series" for my liking.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Confused

Walmart has the game listed for a September 24 release. Amazon has it listed for a November 18 release for both versions(X-Box, PS2).
Old September 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I can't access the site.
Old September 13th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Kingfish -

I just tried to access the site and had no probs getting there. Try this link to the main page:

http://www.battlestargalacticagame.com/

Good luck!

Bryan
________
Avandia lawsuites
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #14
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Reread...

the first post that I started in this thread with the similarities between the game and the mini...seems pretty obvious to me that this game is almost exactly like the mini and has many of the same characteristics...

Old September 16th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #15
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Not meaning...

Warrior,

I'm not meaning to be a total *ss over this, but I"m sorry, you can't "take away" this or "take away" that!! It is what it is and what I see is a company which owns both the video game and the new mini (Vivendi Universal).

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #16
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Al, how's it goin.

Yes you are correct on the influence with the new mini but i will tell you that you are going to see alot of the original in this. The people of the game *get it*. They spent a lot of time concentrating on the original premis with the game and at least it's something to hang your hat on. Let me say that they fought hard to keep the original as close to cannon as possible but yet were forced to fall in line with the mini. I know people involved with it and they were not happy.

At least the game holds cannon on the Battlestar's and Basestars, unlike the mini.

Old September 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #17
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Thanks, Don...

I am not trying to make anyone buy or not buy, that is up to each person to choose for himself. I just wanted to bring to the forefront the fact that in some mini-supporters minds (i have read some posts on other sites) they are ragging on us "purists" because we are accepting the game which has elements of the mini such as "husker" ,the very similar viper designs and the basic premise that man created the Cylons.

It irked me that there was not any type of backlash against the game for the most part. I was just bringing that point up to see if there would be any backlash...

I don't think I will be buying it, but if reviews are good that it indeed follows more of an original storyline and if it ever comes out for PC, I might change my mind...

Old September 17th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #18
The Blue Mule
Warrior

I will not buy this game Because they are trying to push the mini (and im flat broke-Sucks being poor) And i just cant go out and get the consoles for that platform.

You don't know how much i dispise the "idea" that they cylons were created by the colonists UGH! So on those premisis alone I will not purchase the game. Sorry to the artist that busted their asses( i know how you feel) but this is a british company(i think) and it should have been produced by americans. (no im not a racist- Just unemployed)

The flying around the Battlestars and Baseships would have happily given me the chills(playing my soundtracks in the background) But i will do what i can not to support the MINI. Prehaps when a company sees fit to hire me and i have a job,I'll find the game dirt cheap(which usually hapeneds to all games) in a cheapy bin.

But of course all memory of Moore and the horrid atrocities of the mini must be erased before hand.

Laters!

Rich
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #19
amberstar
Strike Leader

Default Thanks warrior

Thanks for clearing up the trailor thing. I thought it was the start of the game! Pretty confusing.
I had always wanted to fly one of thoes vipers, and I hated to think that was going to be an opening intro for the game.
Now that's all cleared up I think I'll have some fun with a new toy for my ps2!