Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old April 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Bijou88

Default Anyone Remember Blue Thunder the series?

TV on DVD recently reported that Blue Thunder the Series will soon be released on DVD. All I remember about this series is the Heliocopter (which was cool) and that it had Bubba Smith in the cast (which is not so cool). Does anyone have any memories about this show? Is it worth getting on DVD?

Old April 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88
TV on DVD recently reported that Blue Thunder the Series will soon be released on DVD. All I remember about this series is the Heliocopter (which was cool) and that it had Bubba Smith in the cast (which is not so cool). Does anyone have any memories about this show? Is it worth getting on DVD?

This show I watched pretty heavilly until Airwolf came out, and remained. I vaguely remember the stories, but seeing the helicopter in action was always cool...even if it was scaled down from the movie. I would probably want to see if I could rent the DVD's to see if it was as cool as I remember.

Martok2112
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #3
Carbon Monoxide
Shuttle Pilot

Is this that show with Hulk Hogan and that jet boat?
Carbon Monoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

LOL! Ye' be thinkin' of Thunder Bay. (Sad as it is that I remember that.)
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I remember Blue Thunder which lasted 11 episodes. I believe Dana Carvey was in it as JAFO. Richard Lynch was in the pilot as a villain. James Farentino played the role Roy Scheider played in the movie. Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus played the ground team that would go in after Blue Thunder secured an area. They were heavily armed but many of the best moments were the banter between Smith and Butkus.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Bijou88

It's funny. Airwolf was supposed to be a knockoff of Blue Thunder. It was given a go to compete against Blue Thunder. Blue Thunder was the expected hit tV show for the 1984 season. In the end however, Blue Thunder was cancelled after 11 episodes and Airwolf was on the air for 3 or 4 years. Its strange how things work out in show business.
Old April 30th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #7
northtwilight
Bad Email Address

Not Thunder Bay, as in Thunder Bay, Ontario?
northtwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by northtwilight
Not Thunder Bay, as in Thunder Bay, Ontario?

If I be not too much mistaken (and I may yet be), I do believe Thunder Bay was a Canadian production.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:15 AM   #9
JSC1
Warrior

The show with Hulk Hogan and the boat was 'Thunder in Paradise'. He worked alongside producers of Baywatch on this one.

Relax none of those producers were Hasslehoff. But when Thunder in Paradise went off the air Hogan and a few wrestlers did appear on Baywatch.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:17 AM   #10
JSC1
Warrior

I do remember Blue Thunder. I picked up a set of DVD's from goldmonkey.com before they decided to stop selling fan DVD sets.

Hven't gotten around to watching it yet. I'm still behind schedule with my DVD viewing.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:21 AM   #11
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC1
I do remember Blue Thunder. I picked up a set of DVD's from goldmonkey.com before they decided to stop selling fan DVD sets.

Hven't gotten around to watching it yet. I'm still behind schedule with my DVD viewing.
Ach! You're right. That's what the show was. Where the Frack did I come up with Thunder Bay? Oy....I must be going senile.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:11 AM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Hulk Hogan was in Thunder in Paradise as an ex navy SeAl along with Chris Lemmon who is the late Jack Lemmon's son. In fact one of the episodes had the duo going to an island to fight a strange creature which looked like the Predator.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #13
Galactifan
Warrior

The Blue Thunder tv series was nothing like the movie of the same name. The movie was excellent and the tv series......well kind-of......sucked. With that said, I did pick up an un-official DVD release of the Blue Thunder tv series. It was very campy and the actors were subject to poor scripts. However, I will be buying the official release of the Blue Thunder tv series when it's officially released on DVD. Yeah, I'm a sucker but I still love the 80's.

Airwolf was a much better tv series overall.

Galactifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Husker
Bad Email Address

Loved the Blue Thunder movie. I remember watching the series, then Airwolf came on and that was probably my favorite show at that time. Still watch it whenever someone decides to show it as I have yet to find any box sets.
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #15
Cylon Number 13
Renegade Humanocylon

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker
Loved the Blue Thunder movie. I remember watching the series, then Airwolf came on and that was probably my favorite show at that time. Still watch it whenever someone decides to show it as I have yet to find any box sets.
I give the Blue Thunder series !
Cylon Number 13 is offline   Reply With Quote