Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 28th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #1
koenigrules
Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 2004 Second BSG Trailer with Hatch

Here is the second, longer BSG trailer with Hatch at the end of it.
Check it out.
KR

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en
koenigrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

LOL! NOTE this is the second trailer for the new show. NOT, I repeat NOT to be confused with the Second Coming!!!!!!

Thanks for the link

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenigrules
Here is the second, longer BSG trailer with Hatch at the end of it.
Check it out.
KR

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en
KR -

I saw this trailer a while back when it was first mentioned. Someone said that they had seen it on Skiffy, but I missed it. I looked around and found a post that had a link to what I think was the same place you're directing folks too. If nothing else, it is somewhat better than the promo that Skiffy is running most of the time. It also puts Richard's "new era" line in the proper perspective as a scene from one of the episodes he filmed - not something done just for promotional purposes.

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

WOW!

I LOVE the new trailer. I await the new series even more eagerly than I did before. This is going to be some very powerful sci-fi television.

I also think that Richard Hatch's presence on the show is only going to augment it. I like where the show is headed. I think that the wisest course of action the show can take (as far as any attempt to resemble the original in spirit or content) is to do it slowly, over time. Not overnight, as I think it would already damage it more than many people perceive it to have been.

It was great being able to see NEW footage from the show instead of just a lot of recycled footage from the miniseries.

Thank you for posting that link, KR. And I must agree that Richard's line seems to be directly taken from a filmed episode of the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. It is not a spin, but a truth. I think it adds great impact to the trailer. And in seeing and hearing just that one line, I can see that Richard Hatch's character is going to be a very interesting one indeed. I think that to have placed any more footage of Mr. Hatch's character any earlier in the trailer would've lessened the impact of his appearance in it.

However, I do want everyone to know that my appreciation for the new trailer DOES NOT come at the expense of my love for the original series. I miss it terribly, and look forward to that GLORIOUS day when we see our original heroes return to the big screen (or small screen) in a continuation, or closer remake.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #5
PingPongBallEye
Shuttle Pilot

Looks like martok & I are drinking from the same barrel of blood-wine! Thanks from me for the clip, too.

Memo from the I Thot I Taw a Puddy Tat Dep't: in that last scene with Hatch, he has a real retro background. Behind him on the wall (to the left), is that a bank of the old (Classic BSG) Viper control panel switches? Tough to tell but mite be a little Easter egg for the classic fans...
PingPongBallEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

PingPong, shall I buy the next round?

Martok the Inebriated
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #7
Rowan
On Vacation...

Oh I liked this very much as well!
Thank you very much KR
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

KR, thanks for posting this!

Now that I have seen the trailer with I think zero new Cylon footage "new era" was meant to cheese of us off.

Who ever put this trailer togther gave us a clear message.

"Purist, shut the f@#k up 1978 is the past this IS Battlestar Galactica".

Time will tell. If Colonial Fan Force fails and Aircraftcarrierstar Mooronica is picked for an additional 13 episodes after January that may be true. But right now all the merchandise says TOS is Battlestar Galactica-The Only Way to Fly.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #9
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Ok, I didn't quite understand tha last one. Sept17th? (I don't mean about the clip being put in there to be a 'purist get tossed' message, which I don't agree with, but that's neither here nor there...) I mean the last bit.

"Time will tell. If Colonial Fan Force fails and Aircraftcarrierstar Mooronica is picked for an additional 13 episodes after January that may be true. But right now all the merchandise says TOS is Battlestar Galactica-The Only Way to Fly."

What do the Fan Force not reaching it's goals and anything about the series have to do with each other? I've heard Bill say many times (I'm paraphrasing, here) that the best way to support the Fan Force is to stop wasting negative energy on the series, and focus on the message of a continuation movie. If you link the two together and imply that one must fail for the other to succeed, you create a huge and unnecessary hurdle right from the start.

You want a continuation, fine. So do I. You think the TOS is the only valid show- also good. Just remember, as I do, how upset we got when people who wanted us to force us to like the new series busted into every thread in which we actually expressed liking for the original show, apparently to simply express negativity. It doesn't help the Fan Force to do the same thing if someone is enjoying a thread where they are looking forward to the new series. Just read it, and say, well, I have better threads to post, so to speak, and go post somehting about the CFF and it's inevitable success.

Just my two cent advice.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #10
PingPongBallEye
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
PingPong, shall I buy the next round?

Martok the Inebriated
As long as you promise not to sing any Klingon opera! Otherwise, it's on me!
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #11
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Someone, not Richard Hatch or even Ron Moore perhaps Hammer or one of her minions wanted the message that the new series IS Battlestar Galactica now TOS is the past.

If the continuation film is never made and the new series gets picked up for three or more seasons it will be the definitive Battlestar Galactica. Right now it is still TOS.
Another Film Maker
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #12
Rowan
On Vacation...

Sept17th I guess I just interpreted it differently than you. For one I could not imagine Richard making such a declaration considering how he feels. For another it is a new era for them, the characters on the series because they were living in harmony no cylons for 40 years then everything they know is destroyed they are on the run, and they have a different future ahead of them and that is what I felt Richard was talking about.

(((((((Sept17th ))))))))) I empathize with you, but try not to take this too much to heart!, you end up only hurting you, Bonnie doesn't care and she's not worth it! For those of us that grew up on BSG and who love it it will always be the definitive BSG, no matter how well the new show does or how long this series goes! and no amount of propaganda on the part of Bonnie or whomever is going to change our minds on that!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #13
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

The Ron Moore series will never be the definitive Battlestar Galactica.

Never.

Or, if you prefer: TOS will always be the definitive Battlestar Galactica.

Always.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #14
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

I know the line is dialog taken out of context from an episode. I believe it was some one editing it in for a little jab at the ungreatful purist bunch.

Really I know its also no big deal just an observation.
Another Film Maker
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #15
PingPongBallEye
Shuttle Pilot

FWIW, not that anyone asked my opinion, but I was a big Star Trek fan, and when TNG was announced I went apeshoot. Some bald guy in charge? Another android-who-wants-to-be-human, what Roddenberry, the flop of The Questor Tapes wasn't enough for you? And don't even get me started about Wesley...

Long story short: TNG turned out great.

I'm a huge Tolkien geek. I re-read LOTR, oh, about 5 times a year. My wife's present to me on our wedding day was the 50th anniversary hardcover edition of The Hobbit. And when all the news started pouring out about Peter Jackson's film...you guessed it... went apeshoot. Merry & Pippin as comic relief? Gimli as comic relief? Aragorn doesn't want to be king? WTF? NO SCOURING OF THE SHIRE!!! JACKSON YOU F.... well, you get the idea.

Long story short: Jackson da man. If his films are judged a failure, may I someday fail so gloriously.

So as far as the new Galactica, I've determined to break my pattern and not go apeshoot. If it stinks, it'll get cancelled, if it's good...well, heck, is that really a problem?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:38 PM   #16
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
Ok, I didn't quite understand tha last one. Sept17th? (I don't mean about the clip being put in there to be a 'purist get tossed' message, which I don't agree with, but that's neither here nor there...) I mean the last bit.

"Time will tell. If Colonial Fan Force fails and Aircraftcarrierstar Mooronica is picked for an additional 13 episodes after January that may be true. But right now all the merchandise says TOS is Battlestar Galactica-The Only Way to Fly."

What do the Fan Force not reaching it's goals and anything about the series have to do with each other? I've heard Bill say many times (I'm paraphrasing, here) that the best way to support the Fan Force is to stop wasting negative energy on the series, and focus on the message of a continuation movie. If you link the two together and imply that one must fail for the other to succeed, you create a huge and unnecessary hurdle right from the start.

You want a continuation, fine. So do I. You think the TOS is the only valid show- also good. Just remember, as I do, how upset we got when people who wanted us to force us to like the new series busted into every thread in which we actually expressed liking for the original show, apparently to simply express negativity. It doesn't help the Fan Force to do the same thing if someone is enjoying a thread where they are looking forward to the new series. Just read it, and say, well, I have better threads to post, so to speak, and go post somehting about the CFF and it's inevitable success.

Just my two cent advice.
You're right about that Micheleh. That's worth a quarter at least.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:53 PM   #17
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh

Just my two cent advice.

Even though I stand with those who prefer TOS only, it begs remembering that some of the folks who are looking forward to the new show, also appear on the CFF contributor list.

Michele,

My sincerest appreciation for those words of wisdom. They are right on target and were very eloquently expressed.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:55 PM   #18
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
The Ron Moore series will never be the definitive Battlestar Galactica.

Never.

Or, if you prefer: TOS will always be the definitive Battlestar Galactica.

Always.

I am
Dawg

AGREED!!!!!!!!!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:14 PM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

No disrespect intended....but...

The new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA may not be the definitive BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, but it is an equally legitimate BATTLESTAR GALACTICA..

Long live the new show, but BRING US A CONTINUATION for Classic BATTLESTAR GALACTICA too!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #20
hihoag2
Shuttle Pilot

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Great BSG Trailer loved the ending shot !!!!

Yes I agree the ending shot is just what is needed and at the right place...
A web to draw the TOS fans in ,,to watch... perhaps to stay
a begining of a whole new era....
I am glad and sad
with the Faith we will have our movie
Jean
hihoag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #21
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Martok 2112 wrote:

Quote:
The new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA may not be the definitive BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, but it is an equally legitimate BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.
I am forced to respectfully disagree with you, Martok. The RDM show is not legitimate Battlestar Galactica any more than Tim Burton's misnamed film is Planet of the Apes. I hear that Burton's new movie based on a certain Roald Dahl book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rather than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I like that. Acknowledges that he's doing something different. Stealing the BSG title for RDM's softcore Peyton Place in Space was nothing more than Bait and Switch in my book. It remains to be seen whether that Bait and Switch will ultimately pay off.

I fully accept that there are people who enjoy the RDM show. There were people who liked Ishtar. But I will never, ever, ever acknowledge the RDM show as "legitimate" Galactica. It ain't. It's stolen property. Just ask Eric Christopher James.
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #22
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I finally took a look at it. Well done trailer. Freaking editor/director knew what they were doing in slicing an enticing setup together. (trailers have never been the problem with this show though ) The usage of the Richard clip: eeeeewwww, I see the painful irony of a dig that Sept. 17th saw, I also see how it is just an appropriate sound byte in an appropriate place for their story/this trailer. Let it be water off a ducks back, and continue holding to our dreams, focused on our little mailing project and what may come of that.

Dang, our Richard can act, though. Totally not Apollo there. That is a good thing.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #23
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Tom hands Martok a

I feel sorry for the poor outnumbered klingon.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #24
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTaggart
Martok 2112 wrote:

I am forced to respectfully disagree with you, Martok. The RDM show is not legitimate Battlestar Galactica any more than Tim Burton's misnamed film is Planet of the Apes. I hear that Burton's new movie based on a certain Roald Dahl book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rather than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I like that. Acknowledges that he's doing something different. Stealing the BSG title for RDM's softcore Peyton Place in Space was nothing more than Bait and Switch in my book. It remains to be seen whether that Bait and Switch will ultimately pay off.
Then we respectfully agree to disagree, my friend. Allow me also to say that I DO NOT acknowledge Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes interpretation as nothing more than a decent popcorn flick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Taggart
I fully accept that there are people who enjoy the RDM show. There were people who liked Ishtar. But I will never, ever, ever acknowledge the RDM show as "legitimate" Galactica. It ain't. It's stolen property. Just ask Eric Christopher James.

However, I did not like Ishtar. Ish-tarrible! Acknowledgment is up to the individual...and as you and I are two different individuals...well, we have two different acknowledgments. One of us acknowledges this to be BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. The other of us does not. I respect your position, Commander, and nothing will change my respect for your convictions. If anything, please understand that I DO understand your convictions and position.

So, with that said, we shall agree to disagree as gentlemen and friends should.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

P.S. Thanks for the beer, Tom. I think I needed that one.
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #25
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTaggart

I am forced to respectfully disagree with you, Martok. The RDM show is not legitimate Battlestar Galactica any more than Tim Burton's misnamed film is Planet of the Apes. I hear that Burton's new movie based on a certain Roald Dahl book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rather than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. ...

But I will never, ever, ever acknowledge the RDM show as "legitimate" Galactica. It ain't. It's stolen property. Just ask Eric Christopher James.
I am curious about this. Who is Eric Christopher James? And how is he involved with the rights of ownership of the IP?

I wonder, because that is what it's about. Ownership is what makes it legitimate.
The new BSG may not be preferred, but it is certainly legitimate. Whether we like it or not, whoever owns a property can do with it what they will, as long as the ownership agreement allows for that.

JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #26
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Eric, Christopher, and James are the names of Glen Larson's sons.

Larson got money from the RDM production because his was the original material under that name. But he didn't want his name at all associated with this new thing.

See?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #27
koenigrules
Warrior

What CT is referring to is that some BSG fans do not consider it a legitimate series from TOS perspective- not that RDM illegally made a reimaged version.
The definition here goes beyond the strict, legal interpretation.
And if that's the case, one needs to respect the views of that group.
Correct me if I'm wrong, CT.
koenigrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #28
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

No, the legal issues are secondary in a discussion about which is the "definitive" BSG. Universal owns the TV rights, Glen Larson owns the theatrical rights. Universal had the legal right to use the name recognition of Battlestar Galactica to peddle what most (not some) fans feel is a vastly inferior product.

Creator Larson was unhappy with the direction the production took. It does not reflect anything of what he created. Therefore, when the RDM production was required to acknowledge him with a credit, he declined to have his name associated with this and used the first names of his sons instead.

It should tell you something that the man who created Battlestar Galactica wants nothing to do with the new production of that name.

Of course, this does not reflect on the enjoyment potential the new series has to offer, should you choose (and should you be able) to ignore all this.

But it is not, in any way, shape or form, "definitive" Battlestar Galactica. The Definitive BSG began in 1978 and still awaits its growth and updating to 21st Century storytelling. The new show doesn't even qualify (in my opinion) as an imitation. The legalities of who owns the name doesn't really enter into that discussion.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #29
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Thanks for the clarifications. While I do not always agree with the views of everyone on this forum, I always respect those views, primarily because most of the time they are well argued and intellectually stimulating. It’s one of the reasons I like Fleets.

Because we communicate exclusively in the written language here (okay, some symbolic language if we count the smilies), our use of the language is import if we are to avoid misunderstandings (I can be really bad at this if I am in a hurry). I thought I understood where CT was going until he brought up that last point about the IP being stolen. For me, that changed the meaning of ‘legitimate’ in the context of his usage. I sincerely apologize if my request for clarification came across poorly and upset or offended anyone. There was no disrespect of CT or his views intended.

JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #30
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Appreciate it Martok, KR, and JJR (and you, too, Dawg, for jumping in while I was swamped elsewhere).

My use of the word "stolen" was not meant in the literal sense... as, yes, Universal Studios does own the television rights to BSG and can do with those rights as they see fit. However, in my mind, the words "stolen" and "hijacked" remain appropriate inasmuch as the new series project was "stolen" from DeSanto (Universal never had the guts to tell him to his face) while he was still madly working away at it, and stolen from its creator, in that (unlike DeSanto and Singer before him), Moore, Eick, and Hammer, et. al. didn't seek Mr. Larson's blessing, and even tried to get out of paying him one red cent.

Those actions are, in my opinion, shadowy at best, and unadulterated theivery at worst. The RDM show, in my esitmation, exists under a cloud of dishonorable intent, and for that reason alone it will never earn my support. I further believe all of that bad karma will play a big part in the sooner-than-anticipated demise of the show.

Time will tell.