Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 19th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #1
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Epic Trek Episodes and Space Above and Beyond; Battlestar Questions

Something I miss almost as much as Real Classic Battlestar Galactica is the two-part epic Trek episodes that would usually book end seasons. I also really enjoyed SAAB it gave me some Galactica type moments that Trek never could.

I often thought with the Trek Episodes, they were proof that Battlestar done right would still make great viable television.

When SAAB was canceled I thought maybe I was wrong about Battlestar being viable.

So, I ask what does the success of the epic Trek episodes say about Battlestar as viable exciting television?

What does SAAB’s cancellation say about any future Battlestar Galactica?
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

I don't think you can necessariy compare the two. SAAB was cancelled because of politics. Morgan and Wong fought with the Fox suits (over content and other issues).
The suits cancelled SAAB as a vindictive act and have the television rights. This prevented Morgan and Wong from trying to
pitch the show to other networks.
Star Trek is shown on a network which is owned by the same studio that owns it (Paramount) .
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

The reason Trek has been so successful is that they maintained Continuity. Whatever happened, in a particular episode or movie, was still true in the next installment.

The example most folks remember is "ST II: The Wrath of Khan", being a sequel to the episode "Space Seed". The was another example, that I recall, in the very last episode of the Original Star Trek series, "Turnabout Intruder", where Kirk's "consciousness", in the body of Dr. Janice Lester, relates to Spock events that happened to them previously -- (Kirk, Spock, & McCoy held captive in the Vian's laboratory ("The Empath")); (Kirk trapped on the Defiant in the area of space claimed by the Tholians ("The Tholian Web")). The were other episodes which recounted different events and experiences in the principal characters' past. These references to the past allowed the show's producers to fashion a sort of history for their characters, in the 3 short years that ST appeared on network TV. The subsequent movies and various series BUILT on that history, and began to fill it in, somewhat.

There are a number of posts that we've read that mistakenly consider ST:TNG, ST: DS9, ST:Voyager, to be re-makes. They're not. They are set in different time periods than the original series and were not meant to over-write what happened on ST:TOS. They are side stories but, also Continue the ST STORY.

The primary reason that ST became the successful franchise. that it is today, is that the show's producers "stuck to the script". They maintained Continuity. THIS could yet happen with regards to Battlestar Galactica.

We need to keep the faith alive and we need to convince Larson and DeSanto, if they will join forces, that BSG IS A VIABLE CONCEPT!! It can be done, it just needs some TLC!!
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 04:25 AM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

Well said. Continuity was the key. Further proof, were any needed, that Moore et al are so hung up on their sick "vision", that they cannot see why continuity is important.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote