Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old February 27th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #1
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Cool FYI: James Doohan (Scotty) last ST Convention

From Sci-Fi Online:

James Doohan, who played Chief Engineer Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott in the original Star Trek series, is to retire from the convention circuit.

But, before he hangs up his phaser for good, he will be making one final appearance at Planet Xpo between 18-20 June 2004, at the Los Angeles Airport Hilton.

Billed as the "Biggest Event of the Year" by the Official Star Trek Fan Club, this event will feature the entire living cast of the classic Star Trek TV series: William Shatner (James T. Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Spock), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura), Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov), George Takei (Hikaru Sulu), Grace Lee Whitney (Janice Rand), Majel Barrett Roddenberry (Christine Chapel), and, of course, James Doohan.

A new Trek parody, the short film Final Mission, will make its worldwide premiere at the event, showing on a double bill with the critically-acclaimed Roddenberry on Patrol, featuring actors from the classic Trek series as well as Star Trek: Voyager.

As part of the event, money will be raised to help finance the placement of a star for Doohan on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. There will also be two auctions to raise money for Doohan's favourite charities, Cowboys for Kids and the Equestrian Special Olympics.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Doohan twice...once before the release of ST VI: The Undiscovered Country, and once after First Contact. I will be sad to see him retire from the convention circuit, but the man deserves his rest. Quite the hilarious guy.

Respectfully,
martok2112
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

He didn't look well when the TVLand awards were done last year. I'm glad he's decided to retire and rest. Scotty will always be a classic.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

The man took an accent, and made a whole character out of it that was very charismatic.

Yeah... I'm afraid he's getting older. No doubt about that. I hope he has good health still.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #5
trwnew
Shuttle Pilot

I thought I had heard he pasted on several months ago? I glad to find out I was wrong.
trwnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #6
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

I am glad to hear he is finally hanging up his phaser and taking his well deserved rest. When I saw him 2 years ago at Dragoncon, he didn't look very good. We were all talking about how we wondered how much longer he would be around. (sad to say but it was true) I hope he enjoys his rest and realizes he gave a lot to the fans and the scifi world. He was one of the ones that helped shape scifi into what it is. He will be remembered within the fandom with great love and respect.
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:04 PM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
From Sci-Fi Online:

James Doohan, who played Chief Engineer Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott in the original Star Trek series, is to retire from the convention circuit.

But, before he hangs up his phaser for good, he will be making one final appearance at Planet Xpo between 18-20 June 2004, at the Los Angeles Airport Hilton.

Billed as the "Biggest Event of the Year" by the Official Star Trek Fan Club, this event will feature the entire living cast of the classic Star Trek TV series: William Shatner (James T. Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Spock), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura), Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov), George Takei (Hikaru Sulu), Grace Lee Whitney (Janice Rand), Majel Barrett Roddenberry (Christine Chapel), and, of course, James Doohan.

A new Trek parody, the short film Final Mission, will make its worldwide premiere at the event, showing on a double bill with the critically-acclaimed Roddenberry on Patrol, featuring actors from the classic Trek series as well as Star Trek: Voyager.

As part of the event, money will be raised to help finance the placement of a star for Doohan on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. There will also be two auctions to raise money for Doohan's favourite charities, Cowboys for Kids and the Equestrian Special Olympics.
I loved his character. I certainly hope they can raise the money so he can
the the star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

I think he's great and will miss him on the convention circuit.

I used to be able to go BK ..........which means BEFORE KIDS lol
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:05 PM   #8
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJedi
I am glad to hear he is finally hanging up his phaser and taking his well deserved rest. When I saw him 2 years ago at Dragoncon, he didn't look very good. We were all talking about how we wondered how much longer he would be around. (sad to say but it was true) I hope he enjoys his rest and realizes he gave a lot to the fans and the scifi world. He was one of the ones that helped shape scifi into what it is. He will be remembered within the fandom with great love and respect.

Very well said Dark Jedi. When I saw him he was still in excellent health.
I think he deserves the rest too
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:21 AM   #9
gmd3d
Major

One of sci-fi greatest characters he will be sadly missed and as darkjedi has said
Quote:
He was one of the ones that helped shape scifi into what it is. He will be remembered within the fandom with great love and respect.
I for one remember him and those that traveled with him with fondness. Star Trek shaped my interest in sci-fi long before Bttlestar Galactica or Star Wars.
Having never met any of it stars and never having gone to a convention. I feel that I know them and have known them all my life.

If I had the chance to meet any of them I would not ask for anything I would just like to say "THANK YOU! THANK YOU ALL. for the adventures.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:28 AM   #10
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin72000
One of sci-fi greatest characters he will be sadly missed and as darkjedi has said

I for one remember him and those that traveled with him with fondness. Star Trek shaped my interest in sci-fi long before Bttlestar Galactica or Star Wars.
Having never met any of it stars and never having gone to a convention. I feel that I know them and have known them all my life.

If I had the chance to meet any of them I would not ask for anything I would just like to say "THANK YOU! THANK YOU ALL. for the adventures.
I so agree Potemkin72000. If I didn't watch Startrek I don't think I'd ever have
been as interested in science fiction as I am today.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM   #11
gmd3d
Major

I agree, shiningstar
I have the same feelings as you, Star Trek was the start.. people started to look at sci-fi differently not simply as a B-movies type show but some thing that can question the world around us make us look at ourselves.
Star Trek touch many lives including mine and for some people in a most profound way not only in the Adventure of space travel. but the fact that we work and live together. we have different ideas, we are off different colour , and different abilities but we are the same so lets work together.
well thats what it thought me (oh and my parants) but don't tell them that. :laugh:

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:03 PM   #12
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin72000
I agree, shiningstar
I have the same feelings as you, Star Trek was the start.. people started to look at sci-fi differently not simply as a B-movies type show but some thing that can question the world around us make us look at ourselves.
Star Trek touch many lives including mine and for some people in a most profound way not only in the Adventure of space travel. but the fact that we work and live together. we have different ideas, we are off different colour , and different abilities but we are the same so lets work together.
well thats what it thought me (oh and my parants) but don't tell them that. :laugh:

By the way I love your avatar!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:08 AM   #13
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

why thank you. it was done by michael faries who was kind enough to permit me to use it. and the scene is the Galactica over Caprica after the attack of the Cylons.