Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old August 11th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Some of my favorite anime...

I am not really into Anime or Japanimation that much...but there are a few that I really like.

1. TRIGUN --Vash the Stampede is one of the most hilarious good guys I have ever seen.

2. INUYASHA-- Three words : Kagome the Schoolgirl. 'nuff said!

3. BATTLE OF THE PLANETS-- One word: PRINCESS 'nuff said. (In GATCHAMAN, she is known as Swan Jun)

4. LUPIN III: That show is just downright funny.

Respectfully,
Martok the III....oops, I mean Martok2112 (Gotta lay off the Sake)
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Have you seen The Castle of Caligastro? It was the pilot movie for Lupin III, and really good.

I also have recently watched "Tokyo Godfathers", and it goes on my must-see list.

And don't forget Armitage, Noir and Cowboy Bebop.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Hello, Michelle

Castle of Calligastro? Do you remember games like Dragons Lair in the arcades?
There was a DL type game that was based on Lupin III, and I wonder if it was based on that movie?

Noir, I saw part of that, pretty good stuff. (Course, I'm a sucker for chicks in miniskirts...must be a sorta Starbuck in me.)

Armitage I've heard of. Bebop, I've seen an episode or two.

I also liked Ninja Scroll. Some of the best voice work I've heard in an anime.

Of course, there's always the works of Mizayaki. (Miyazaki?)

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto,
Martok2112
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Kagome the Schoolgirl. 'nuff said!
One word:

SIT!

I got Michele into Noir. I knew she would love it. That and Macross are my favorites.

I also like PlanetES, Read or Die...all the Miyazaki movies, Voices of a Distant Star, El Hazard...

There are really alot that I like!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
One word:

SIT!

I got Michele into Noir. I knew she would love it. That and Macross are my favorites.

I also like PlanetES, Read or Die...all the Miyazaki movies, Voices of a Distant Star, El Hazard...

There are really alot that I like!

LOL! That always makes me crack up, when Kagome invokes the word of restraint on poor ol' Inuyasha. (Especially the one time in the premiere DVD series when she accidentally said it as a 'fer instance, and made Inuyasha fall out of a tree!)

And when Inuyasha said, because she was wearing Kikyo's clothes:
"Kagome, do me a favor?"

"Yeah?"

"Get out of those clothes!"

"SIT, BOY!"

CRACK! "Owww!"

"Pervert!"

"I didn't mean GET NAKED!"

Surprisingly, one anime I could not get into was AKIRA. I guess it was just too convoluted for me. I used to have Project A-ko, and Captain Harlock.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I thought Akira was gorgeous but slow. Same with Ghost in the Shell and the Patlabor movies.

I saw Ako though. Very wacked stuff. But funny.

btw- my favorite SIT was when a demon made the group act drunk and Inuyasha flirted with Sango infront of Kagome!

SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!........

I'm not sure if it has aired in the US yet though.

Old August 11th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:

btw- my favorite SIT was when a demon made the group act drunk and Inuyasha flirted with Sango infront of Kagome!

SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!........

I'm not sure if it has aired in the US yet though.
Oh, my God! I can just see that! ROFLMAO!!!!!

Breathless,
Martok2112
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I thought Akira was gorgeous but slow. Same with Ghost in the Shell and the Patlabor movies.

I saw Ako though. Very wacked stuff. But funny.
Tom -

I think Akira was my first taste of modern Anime as a feature film - The story was kind of odd and slow, but the animation, artwork and sound was outstanding. I watch it about once a year. I liked Ghost in the Shell, but the story didn't grab me - I've seen what looks like to be a second GITS film that just came out on DVD, but I haven't seen it yet. I've seen some of the Patlabor movies too.

The SciFi channel used to have Anime marathons - I got to see some interesting stuff like Venus Wars (very cool) & the Project A-Ko (kind of wacky) films. I liked the artwork and thought they were fun to watch.

The series I like range from something as far back as Speed Racer all the way up to Last Exile. It isn't necessarily the theme or setting that grabs me, it's usually the story, characters and artwork.

I love the Miyazaki films - I keep giving them as birthday gifts for my friend's children - they always seem to gape and enjoy them.

Oh, god - I could just go on and on about anime....

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #9
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
I've seen what looks like to be a second GITS film that just came out on DVD, but I haven't seen it yet
was it a movie? I know there is a tv series airing in japan right now. I kinda think there may be a movie, but its drawing a blank here.

Old August 11th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #10
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Tom- have you seen 'Tokyo Godfathers' yet? I think you'd like it.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...ers/index.html
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
Tom- have you seen 'Tokyo Godfathers' yet? I think you'd like it.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...ers/index.html

Michelle -

I know that you were asking Tom, but I saw Tokyo Godfathers on the shelf at Blockbuster yesterday. I gather that you've seen it - What did you think of it?

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #12
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

I really enjoyed it. It had a great blend of humor and genuine reality of life 'on the streets', literally. You don't see many stories about three people living in a box. The main story is about tracking down an abandoned baby's mother, but along the way, you get to know the charachters, and learn why they're on the street. The climactic scene had me in tears, and that's tough for me. It was a good, warm, fun story with a string of 'miraculous' coincidences that would have fared well as a live action film.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
I really enjoyed it. It had a great blend of humor and genuine reality of life 'on the streets', literally. You don't see many stories about three people living in a box. The main story is about tracking down an abandoned baby's mother, but along the way, you get to know the charachters, and learn why they're on the street. The climactic scene had me in tears, and that's tough for me. It was a good, warm, fun story with a string of 'miraculous' coincidences that would have fared well as a live action film.
Michelle -

I really appreciate the excellent description - I'm all over a film that is all about the characters and a good story. Of course, some choice animation doesn't hurt either....

I also love a story that moves me - I don't mind saying that I've been moved to tears by anime before. Have you seen "Grave of the Fireflies"?

Grave of the Fireflies

This movie was wonderfully done, but it was one of the most moving anime films I've ever seen - It's not for kids though...

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll pick it up for the weekend!

Bryan

Old August 11th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #14
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

OHMYGOD... That film is too brutal Bryan!!!! I saw that and was devastated. What sucks is that its a true story. The only real difference from real life is that the little boy grew up to write the story.

Michele!

Thanks for telling me about that. I'll keep my eyes open for the first chance to see it.

btw there is one coming that you may be interested in. Madlax. The same people who did Noir are doing a story about another insanely talented female assassin who kills to beautiful music. Madlax is basically like Mireille with Kirika's skills. The only drawback is this series is VERY slow and meandering. It takes until episode 18 for the main characters to finally meet! Its airing now in japan.

Old August 11th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #15
Rowan
On Vacation...

I fell in love with Captain Harlock (using this name as most people know it by this name) when I was a kid but I watched in French under the name Albator.

Now Thomas has adicted me all over again to anime! Evil man! LOL!
So I too now love Noir and Planetes
but now thanks to this thread I have a whole bunch more ideas LOL! god when will I ever get any house work done!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #16
jonahlee
Warrior

Default Legend of the Galactic Heroes

In my opinion the best and most epic Science Fiction Anime ever made is LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES. It is an epic series with over 100 episodes in the main series 2 features and almost 50 OVA's, all following one epic storyline about a galactic empire and the people who broke free to create a democratic government. It is sad and haunting, and makes me wish I read Japanese so I coudl read the 10 Novels it was based on. So nice to see a series that was this epic, and so obviously had everything workout before hand to create the most epic of stories.

Some people might complain because while it has action, itis mostly huge epic space battles, and the animation isn't as smooth as much artwork you see now, but it is so well thought out and I love the designs. Well worth checking out.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #17
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Ah...

Somthing I have always wondered:

I am not exactly a huge Anime fan, but the term OVA has always left me puzzled. What does OVA stand for and mean?

Inquisitively,
Martok2112
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #18
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

OVA and OAV are the same thing. Original Video Animation. Basically its an anime that has never aired on tv or in the theaters and is sold straight to video.

I like the OVA format alot. Theatrical films tend to have better quality. But OVAs tends to be better animated than a tv series, and it promotes atoryteling. Not stretching a story to fill 26 chapters if you don't need to. But you can make a story as long as the story dictates.

Old August 16th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Ahhhhhhhhhhh...

Domo Arigato, Thomas-san.

Martok is now enlightened.

(Now Martok can add to his Otaku lingo when caught amidst more adept anime fans)

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:04 AM   #20
Reverend Dr Syn

TRIGUN: was great. Vash may have been a clown but he was a crying on the inside one. Vash was my favorite type of hero. Seemingly an unreliable slacker who buckles down and pulls through when its important. I have all the Kaiyodo action figures save for the clear Vash, battle-damaged Wolfwood and the Sub-Zero Monev. Meryl's base lookslike it connectsts to something which suggests a Millie figure may be in the planning. Kaiyodo stated there would be two more series figures and a few of characters they made up. A prototype sculpt has been seen of a cowboy with a bazooka that looks like a six-shooter a few years ago but nothings been heard from them since

FYI: The planet the show takes place on is called "Gunsmoke". WHile it isnt really addressed in the show, it's called that on the action figures

Castle of Cagliostro and one other Lupin movie were combined to make the CLIFF HANGER video game. I think the other flick was called the Fuuma Conspiracy, but dont quote me. "Castle" was animated by legendary animator Miyazaki, creator of other classic flicks such as "Spirited Away" "Laputo: Castle in the Sky" "Princess Mononoke" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" Disney bought the rights to his films and tried to sit on them and NEVER release them.

There was an obscure video game in the early 80's called Lupin the 3rd. But it was really cheesy.

I still think Bruce Campbell would be a good Lupin and Armad Asante would be a good Zenigata. An obscure live action Lupin movie was made in the 70's

Battle of the Planets? Good god. This may have been my first exposure to anime. I would r\suh home after second grade in 1978 and watch this and Star Blazers. Hell, I used to play Jason. He was a pimp. I still wonder how Tiny passed the physical. I dont think Mark had any sex drive at ALL. Princess and other women would throw themselves at him and he'd just shrug them off.

Sandy Frank productions, the company who did the dub announced plans for an all-new BotP series last year.

I didnt expecct to like Tokyo Godfathers, but it turned out great with lots of twists and hopeful endings for all the protagonists. It was actually nice to see a Japanese schoolgirl who WASNT some reed thin girl like you see all the time in anime.

There are a few Id reccomend but Im gonna do that in my own thread
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #21
Agelastus
Warrior

OVAs are also a dying format, Martok. The bottom's fallen out of the market in Japan, and there's much less of a place for them now with the general increase in standards of the TV incarnations.

My favourites?

"Irresponsible Captain Tylor"
"Full Metal Panic"
"Princess Nine"
"Outlaw Star"
"Martian Successor Nadesico"
"Patlabor"

And many, many others....my collection is well past five hundred VHS and DVDs now...
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #22
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agelastus
OVAs are also a dying format, Martok. The bottom's fallen out of the market in Japan, and there's much less of a place for them now with the general increase in standards of the TV incarnations.

My favourites?

"Irresponsible Captain Tylor"
"Full Metal Panic"
"Princess Nine"
"Outlaw Star"
"Martian Successor Nadesico"
"Patlabor"

And many, many others....my collection is well past five hundred VHS and DVDs now...

Wow. 500?!

I used to have a question about Japanese television at one point a long time ago. I often wondered if anime was the primary form of televised/theatrical entertainment over there, but when you think about it, I am sure their anime to live action TV ratio is the same as ours here in the states with as many cartoons as we crank out. (Not that I know what that ratio is...so please, don't ask me )

I've heard of a few of those titles, Agelastus. Patlabor, Outlaw Star, Nadeisico. and Full Metal Panic. A friend of mine used to explain a few of the story elements of Nadeisico, but I vaguely remember them since I've never seen the anime. (I used to irk him by misnaming it Whoopsideisico. )

Respectfully,
Martok2112 (Otaku in Training) (gonnnnnnnggggggggggg!)
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #23
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Wow. 500?!
On other forums, I am known as an anime fanatic. There are others though on the forums I frequent (and they are not specifically anime forums either!)

Quote:
but I vaguely remember them since I've never seen the anime. (I used to irk him by misnaming it Whoopsideisico. )

Respectfully,
Martok2112 (Otaku in Training) (gonnnnnnnggggggggggg!)
Possibly appropriate, given the level of "in-jokishness" in Nadesico. Reading Asamiya's original story helps expand on this point as well.

Oh, and I think I underestimated a bit. Forgot to count one of the bookcases...
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #24
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

One of the book cases?

dizzy-----

THUD!

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #25
Agelastus
Warrior

You think I'm kidding? I have four bookcases of various sizes in my bedroom, plus one on the landing.

One is full of anime videos. One is full of anime DVDs. When I get sick of the pile by my bed, a third will be full of anime DVDs. Two shelves of the fourth have anime videos...and to cap it all, some wall units I have have two rows of anime videos on top of them as well...

I do have books on the other shelves though...and the five bookcases downstairs only have a couple of shelves full of more conventional videos and DVDs, so I do read a little...
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #26
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I kinda have alot too. I use to live near a japanese equivalent of a quickie mart. And they had a wall of video stuff straight from japan. Infact you have to be able to read japanese to find the right tape. But they did have a ton of anime that I copied.

I've been collecting anime since 1985.

Now if only Laserdisks hadn't gone the way of the dodo. ....

Old September 29th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #27
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

No...I don't think you're kidding

Wow...actually, I am somewhat envious.

I used to have tons of storebought videotapes period..not necessarily anime, but of movies that I loved...alas had to lose them to pawnshops when times got hard.

Wow..that is quite the collection ye've amassed.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #28
Agelastus
Warrior

With another parcel waiting for me at home...I hate working late.