Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old July 11th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #1
une
Shuttle Pilot

Default Pirates of the Caribbean

I just got back from this film an hour or so ago and after letting it set in I have this to say: Pirates of the Carribean ROXXORS!

Writing:

The story was pretty good and full of different plot twists. It wasn't horribly complex or deep though, and was often times very predictable. But yet and still, it was a hundred times better than T3. The only really big complaint I had was the tendency to for story and plot elements to be explained in somehat long monologues. Of course, often times these monologues are pretty darn funny, so even that isn't that bad. The dialogue in this movie is also very good, which is only helped by the great acting (especially on the part of Depp).

Acting:

Johnny Depp steals this movie. He's charismatic, funny, and just plain entertaining. If there's any reason to see the movie, it's for Depp's performance of Jack Sparrow. Oh yeah, the other actors aren't bad either.

Special Effects:

This movie has quite a few special effects in there and they all work out very well. Which is, I think, mainly because the hevy effects use is done with dark lighting. But still, it works, and works very well.

Action:

I'm not a big fan of action scenes myself, but these were pretty good. They weren't on the level of the one's in Hulk, although they had much better lighting, but they are decent. There are quite a few action scenes throughout the film. So if your into action, you won't be let down.

Overall I really liked this movie. After a summer of dissapointments it's good to see something that's both good and original*. Something that's not adapted from a comic book or a sequal to a previous film, just a neat semi original film.

I know it's based off the Disney Land ride, but it's an extremely loose adaption, and added more than enough original material for me to consider it an original product.
HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
Dave Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.
HAL: It's called "Daisy."
[sings while slowing down]
HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.
une is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 01:40 AM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Sounds like a winner. BUT, no shooting a man in the middle of his cadenza, remember!!!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #3
Shatter
Bad Email Address

I definitely agree with une's assessment. Pirates was a rollicking good time. Well worth your time and money. Personally, it's one of my favorite releases of the summer so far. Great action and effects. Solid performances. Depp's performance is a standout.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

LOL SENMUT!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote