Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old June 30th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thumbs down NEWS: Why TNN isn't already SpikeTV

For the last few months TNN has been airing a set of promos advertising their station's name change from the Tennessee Nashville Network(TNN) to simply SpikeTV. The new men-oriented channel was set to premeire their new change in format along with the remeire of Striperella, and the return of Ren and Stimpy.

So why is it still TNN???

Cause of Spike Lee. He's suing the Viacom's cause his name is Spike and he claims Viacom's Spike TV infringes on his name recognition. So he and his lawyer, Johnnie Cochran, are suing the channel for damages. And sofar they have won a New York Court injunction against he channel using the name until the case is resolved.

The case will see how serious Spike Lee is when he is soon required to invest 2 million plus dollars into a court bond to allow the case to continue. If he doesn't win, Viacom could possibly claim the Lee's money as part of damages inflicted on Viacom. Sofar Viacom is claiming a loss of $16 million thanks to the setback of their marketing change to "Spike."

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Personally I think Spike gots his oversized head up his own arse. He ain't the only Spike. Hell... I don't even think of him when I hear that name.

Personally I think alot of asians should sue him for infringing on the name "Lee".

Oh and thank you, Johnnie Cochran you greedy SOB. You let a murderer go. Now you are trying to make cash off another unjustified lawsuit. Man... you give slimy lawyers a bad name!

Old June 30th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #3
une
Shuttle Pilot

Spike's already won twice. I can't see him losing once they take him to court again.

Spike saw the use of the name, 'Spike TV' as TNN illegally using his name to promote their new station.

Now, that may seem strange to you. But you have to remember, a somewhat large percentage of the country identifies the name 'Spike' with Spike Lee. When this percentage of the country heard that a channel was being called Spike TV, they initially thought that Spike Lee was somehow involved. I thought that, Edward Norton thought that, basically anyone who was a fan of Spike Lee's films thought this new channel was related to Spike Lee. Spike felt that this new station was trying to use his image as a way to draw in more viewers, an idea not without merit. That's why he sued.

hehe I was arguing this same thing back on the cylon.org forums. Before I branded a 'clone,' which I'm not, and banned.
HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
Dave Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.
HAL: It's called "Daisy."
[sings while slowing down]
HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.
une is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #4
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

people with the name spike

ummmm
spike dudley (the wrestler)

spike the dog. (from the tom and Jerry cartoon .yeah I know he's not human, but who says spike lee is human.)

oh don't forget spike from btvs
please mr. lee get a life and you movied suck
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I never even thought of Spike Lee until he brought up the lawsuit.

But then I'm not a fan of his.

I did think of tent spikes and the Buffy vampire.

Old June 30th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #6
une
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Oh and thank you, Johnnie Cochran you greedy SOB. You let a murderer go. Now you are trying to make cash off another unjustified lawsuit. Man... you give slimy lawyers a bad name!
It's called doing your job. Chochran was paid to defend OJ Simpson. Last I checked, even murderers were assured an attorney.

If you should be mad at anyone, be mad at the prosecution. They lost what should have been the easiest case of the century.
HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #7
une
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
please mr. lee get a life and you movied suck
Yes, we all know that Malcom X, Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever, were just horrible movies.

Old June 30th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #8
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

Spike TV is a horrible name for a network. I groaned when I heard about it. I groaned ten times louder when I heard about the Spike Lee lawsuit. Spike Lee is a name I hadn't heard since the mid 90's...now I'm hearing it a lot. Spike Lee started a ridiculous lawsuit and got his name out there again. Regardless of what happens with the lawsuit, Spike has already got his money's worth from the publicity. He may even get a job out of it.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:42 AM   #9
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Striperella

There might be a problem here. I saw that someone is suing both Pamela Anderson and the network claiming it was her idea that was used to make the show. Supposedly the party in question sat down and discussed the idea with Stan Lee the shows creator.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:31 AM   #10
une
Shuttle Pilot

The lawsuits with Stan Lee is total garbage.

Supposedly a stripper gave Stan Lee the idea for Stripperrela while she was giving him a "private dance session." She has yet to provide any evidence for her claim, admits that the basic premise is different (in her version Erotica was a nurse not a stripper), she didn't get the consul of an attorney, and she barely even remember meeting Stan Lee.

Can't there be a single Stan Lee creation, without a lawsuit!? Jeez. Anyway, this case isn't going to go anywhere. With such a huge difference in the basic premise, from a nurse to a stripper, this will get thrown out immediately.
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #11
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I actually didn't like any of Spike Lee's movies either. i thought his commercials were more interesting. But I realize he does have fans.

Cochran is slimey.

There is a difference between a right to a fair defense and a lawyer turning what shoulda been a logical discussion of the facts into a flim flam race attack. Lawyers should display more morality. Not dirty underhanded trickery.

Though it does win cases, and gets murderers off. That's the fault of the system too. The prosecution wasn't prepared to fight in a circus. And the judge didn't keep the trial sane.

Old July 11th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #12
une
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Cochran is slimey.

There is a difference between a right to a fair defense and a lawyer turning what shoulda been a logical discussion of the facts into a flim flam race attack. Lawyers should display more morality. Not dirty underhanded trickery.

Though it does win cases, and gets murderers off. That's the fault of the system too. The prosecution wasn't prepared to fight in a circus. And the judge didn't keep the trial sane.
Legal ethics. It's his job, as an attorney to get an advantageous ruling for his client. As long as he does this within the parameters set by the law. As far as I know, Chochran never broke the law in his defense of OJ.

Forensics is a constantly changing science where new techniques and devices are created every day. People who were previously convicted of crimes have now, thanks to these new forensics techniques, been cleared of their crimes. For all I know, OJ didn't do it, and 20 years from now different, as in new, forensics may prove that he didn't do it.

That's why I support Chochran in this matter. If there is the slightest chance that an attorneys client didn't commit a crime and he didn't do everything within his power, legally, to get his client cleared of charges, then that individual has no right to be an attorney.