Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old April 18th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #31
Captain Morgan

I just watched the 1st episode today and thought it was great!I liked it way more than the pilot the beginning of the show is just like CHiPS!
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:07 PM   #32
Captain Morgan

I watched part 2 today after work kind of a let down from the great part 1.
also this is the first time I watched the extras on the DVD,I'm not sure
what I think of this stuff,I mean it's nice to have but I would like more info
about the making of the series.This is all new to me I haven't watched this
show since I was a kid,and I,m really enjoying it!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:15 PM   #33
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thumbs up

Tombs of Kobol.

I just started rereading this one. I owned a copy of it many yahrens ago but gave it away. I bought the reprint last year. As an adult I can really appreciate this magnificent work. The prologue tells of how Baltar's life was spared and also why he couldn't stand Adama. They were both cadets at the academy and of all things Baltar was jealous of Adama's singing ability. Also Adama was quite the ladies man. This made Baltar choose a career in politics which he was also bad at.

The book is fantastic. Lucifer has actually achieved conciousness and strives for more than a third brain. Lucifer also has a soul which he created himself. Lucifer also believes that the Cylon race is flawed. They can't beat the Colonials because they use archaic battle plans. Another interesting fact is that Jolly and Boomer were wearing both breathing gear and gloves when they landed on the asteroid. The terrain was so harsh that they had to remove their gloves and were greeted with a gooey/watery substance on the rocks they had to crawl and climb over to go undetected. The things that we fail to appreciate as children.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:24 PM   #34
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I never found the episode novelizations satisfying, in part because they went afield from the way things were done in the broadcasts. While I understand the thinking behind keeping the Cylons living beings as they were originally conceived, this meant losing some important things later on, particularly with regard to Iblis's voice as Imperious Leader, which is dispensed with completely in the "War Of The Gods" novelization (and more incredibly, the Ship Of Lights returns Baltar to his baseship at the end of the book but then without explanation he's a prisoner again when adapting "Baltar's Escape"). It also didn't help that "Hand Of God" was never adapted since that is the strongest episode of the series overall.

One reason why I went back and did my own fanfic adaptations of all the original series episodes (I have now done 12 of the 17 stories, not in sequence) was because I felt the stories could use expanding/adjusting/foreshadowing but to do it without harming the integrity of what was broadcast so that reading them would be like experiencing an expanded version of the actual episodes. The novelizations, much like Hatch's novels, too often offer the same characters not speaking in familiar voices to me.

That said, "Tombs Of Kobol" is one of the better ones in the series beacuse Robert Thurston was the best of the writers hired for these. He had to come up with a pretty good way of getting Baltar alive again since his novelization of "Saga" has a scene of a centurion telling Imperious Leader that Baltar had been beheaded and the body disposed of.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:00 PM   #35
Senmut
Strike Leader

Which just goes to show that, surprise!!! Cylons can lie!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #36
BRG
Warrior

Thumbs up ****

4 out of 5 for this episode, I enjoyed it as much as the opening 3 parter.

The link between the Colonies and Earth through some ancient civilisation was always one of my favourite parts of Galactica. I loved the whole sequence where Adama, Apollo & Serina are searching the ancient ruins for clues on the 13th Tribe.(although the the 'on location' shots from Egypt are clearly of some dude in Adama's outfit with a overly white hairpiece! ) A lot of the stuff from this episode in repeated in the Indiana Jones films & Tomb Raider computer games, and Adama's medallion acting a a key is also similar to the 'puzzle box' from The Mummy, and the hexagonal disc from Smallville. Also, the way Adama & Baltar behave in the tomb is well done. Both hold the sacred medallion, but while Adama knows what it can be used for, and knows the responeabillity taht goes with entering the Tomb, Baltar just considers the medallion as a symbol of power, and his action lead to his apparent doom when he sets of the booby-trap.

The first part of the episode was great, with the pilots falling ill, and the shuttle pilots having to step up to combat pilots. Although I thoght it was maybe a wee bit out of date and sexist in 2004. That all the new fighter pilots are hot women, who are all standing around in skin tight 'pressure suits' while Apollo & Starbuck run them through the basics. It reminded me of the crap old sit com 'On The Buses' when it proved women coud do the job as well as men. But as I said, in 2004 we have women fighter pilots in all major airforces, so it looks aou of date.

Why was the medical subplot dropped for part 2? I assume for time, but still it should have been concluded. And the main down point was that the space battle in the void suddenly became a starfield!

Serina's death was a shock. But it gave us some great acting, espicially from Richard Hatch. A very sad & moving scene.
BRG

ps- George Murdock, who played Dr Salik, had a fine guest apperance as a Freak of the Week in an episode of Smallville. It was season 1 episode "Hourglass", and is one of the best episodes of the show(IMO). Any Superman fans may want to check in out.
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:34 PM   #37
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch an episode from the DVD set and chose this one. This has always been one of my favorite episodes. I love the setting on Kobol and the pyramid link between the Colonies and Earth. I truly enjoyed Apollo's and Serina's sealing ceremony - the candlelit service was a nice touch as was the reference to Boxey as the "protector of Serina".

I absolutely loved Adama's reaction when Baltar entered the burial chamber. It was beautiful!!

Speaking of Adama, it was interesting to see him as a simple explorer, inspecting the various writings, etc within the ruins. What I found a bit disturbing, though, was how seemingly easy it was for Adama to tell Baltar exactly what his plan was regarding the journey (hopefully to Earth). That part didn't make sense to me, no matter how well Baltar "pitched" his story about being a victim and about conquering the Cylon homeworld.

With regards to the present day "discussion" about female Viper pilots and women's "capabilities", given the real-life conditions in the '70's, it could be said that Galactica was actually "forward-thinking" with the idea of having female pilots engaged in combat situations.

Ah well, it was a joy to watch it again!

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:08 PM   #38
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"What I found a bit disturbing, though, was how seemingly easy it was for Adama to tell Baltar exactly what his plan was regarding the journey (hopefully to Earth). That part didn't make sense to me"

It does in this context. Adama at this point regards Baltar as his prisoner, and he isn't thinking of a possibility of Baltar ending up free again to use that kind of information. Also, Adama up to the very moment of Baltar's appearance in the tomb hasn't been aware that Baltar is still alive, let alone in command of a baseship, so it can also be said that he hasn't had time to digest that variable as well.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:48 PM   #39
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
"What I found a bit disturbing, though, was how seemingly easy it was for Adama to tell Baltar exactly what his plan was regarding the journey (hopefully to Earth). That part didn't make sense to me"

It does in this context. Adama at this point regards Baltar as his prisoner, and he isn't thinking of a possibility of Baltar ending up free again to use that kind of information. Also, Adama up to the very moment of Baltar's appearance in the tomb hasn't been aware that Baltar is still alive, let alone in command of a baseship, so it can also be said that he hasn't had time to digest that variable as well.

Well, now, I didn't think of that.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM   #40
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The other point that bears this out is when later he says with annoyance to Apollo, "I thought I ordered you to remove him to the Galactica."
Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:50 AM   #41
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Sadly the only two telemovies available in the USA are Conquest of Earth and Mission Galactica. I wish they would put all of the telemovies out on dvd.

kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #42
SpyOne
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrCain
...although it still seems odd that Adama would believe that the answer to the location of the 13th tribe would be found in an ancient pyramid. It would seem more logical to look for that information in the ruins of an old spaceport or a command-and-control facility.
I imagine you've learned this elsewhere by now, but just in case (and for newcomers to this thread), I thought I'd answer that for you:

I believe Adama says that the tomb in question is that of the "Ninth Lord of Kobol", and that he was the last ruler of Kobol.
Thus, that tomb is the most modern building on the planet, as it is probably the last thing that was built before folks left.

As for why it all looked so ruin-y, remember that the Colonies have been at war for 1000 years with the Cylons, and their exodus from Kobol was considerably before that. Imagine what Earth would look like if we all moved out for over a dozen centuries.
SpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #43
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up

An excellent episode, with a tear jerker of an ending. And no I am not being facetious, because I tell you truthfully, I CRIED at the end of it.

Beautiful acting between Richard Hatch, Jane Seymour, and Noah Hathaway.

A gem of an episode.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #44
Haveke

Battlestar Galactica 1978 The Lost Planet Of The Gods Pt. I & II

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
An excellent episode, with a tear jerker of an ending. And no I am not being facetious, because I tell you truthfully, I CRIED at the end of it.

Beautiful acting between Richard Hatch, Jane Seymour, and Noah Hathaway.

A gem of an episode.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Hey, I Spent Over a Decade Trying to Find That Episode Of Battlestar Galactia... Last Year, I Was Able to Aquire it On e-Bay for a VERY Reasonible Price if I Might Say So.

And Yes, I Still Shed Tears Myself at the Great Loss Apollo is Faced With. Losing the Great Love Of His Life: Serina...

Those Two Episodes Where What Set Battlestar Galactia Apart from the Other Scfi Shows During that time... If ONLY The Big Wigs Over at ABC Would've Kept them in their Orginal Time slot, Perhaps We Would've Seen a Much Different Ending ... Maybe even Had Some Sort of Closure on the Series...

Now, Here Something I Have always thought: Baltar's Legs Were Basically Crushed When the Tomb Started to Collapse... After the Colonial Warriors Drove Back the Cylons & the Fleet Made Good their Escape... I Figure the Cylons Found Baltar & Had to "Repair" Him... Anyone Besides Me Ever Notice How Baltar Always Seemed to Wear Those Green Leather Gloves All the Time...(Personally, If I Were Adama... I Would've Shot Baltar) and When He Would Leave His Throne... he Walked More Like a Cylon Centorian.

I'm Trying to See About Picking Up the Battlestar Galactia Series On DVD... After I Finish Up With All my Posts & Replies, Got to Double Check My Bills, and then See Where I Can Go From There...

Old May 4th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #45
Haveke

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Good Question--- I Have Another Question Too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Sadly the only two telemovies available in the USA are Conquest of Earth and Mission Galactica. I wish they would put all of the telemovies out on dvd.

I was Wondering If There is a Way to Upload an Image to the Forums, But the Image is on My Computer, Not on a Website... I've Collected So MANY Great Battelstar Galactia Images Over these Past Years, I've LOST Track of Where Most of 'em Came From.

If Anyone Can Please Assist Me With This Procedure, Then I'll Try & Put Together a Little Galactia Humor "Haveke" Style...

As far as Telemovies Go, I guess You Could Kinda Call The Lost Planet Of The Gods Pt. I & II a Movie...

My Best Advice Would Be To Just Keep Questing for the Brass Ring... Thats Kinda What I Had to do to Finally Locate My Copy Of The Lost Planet Of The Gods.

Always Stay With Your Wingman...
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #46
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up

With my new computer, I intend on burning Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack, and Conquest of the Earth to DVD.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:13 AM   #47
SpyOne
On Vacation...

Sadly, step 1 would be to find someone to host it on the internet. For instace, my connection comes with 5mb of web page space. (I'm using mine, or i'd offer to help you store images.)
There are a bunch of free website places out there, but most of them prohibit linking directly to images (which is what you'd have to do to put it in a post).

Once you have the space to put them in, I can be helpful in the "just how do I move files from my computer to that website" part.
SpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #48
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default no cameras for history

It occurred to me this morning that the Colonials are not as "camera-obsessed" as we Earthlings are. Our technology regarding photographing and taping is far ahead of the Colonials, and must have been that way even 25 yahrens ago.
If it had been us on Kobol, at least several people would have had a video camera, or just a plain old film camera, and would have taken it with us when we went into the pyramids. It occurred to me that one of the Warriors, particularly Adama, who was so into history, should have taken some kind of recording machine with him so that he could study it later. And he'd have had time to get one or two shots of the directions to Earth before they were destroyed.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #49
Senmut
Strike Leader

Yes, but recall that alot of electronic devices did not work inside the void. It may be that small portable scanners would not function down on Kobol.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #50
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

Well I just finished watching these two episodes again, and aside from the cute felmale warriors, Brie, Rigel, Athena, Serina, etc, I thought about the time that BSG was written, 1978. They were showing females in leading warrior positions and doing as well as a man (They just lacked full training). Even now our society is still trying to come to grips with females in the military and they wrote in the females piloting fighters and doing very well.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #51
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarks
Well I just finished watching these two episodes again, and aside from the cute felmale warriors, Brie, Rigel, Athena, Serina, etc, I thought about the time that BSG was written, 1978. They were showing females in leading warrior positions and doing as well as a man (They just lacked full training). Even now our society is still trying to come to grips with females in the military and they wrote in the females piloting fighters and doing very well.
if you compare it to other network shows of the time it was light years ahead...I caught an ep of Quincy the other day and literally cringed when he told the female investigator from the CDC sent to track the origin of a food poisoning outbreak at a stadium that it was going to be a treat working with such a good looking girl and how did such a looker get a job with so much responsibility and she took it without so much as an eye roll...eehwww!!

(BTW the actress playing the investigator was the one who has subsequently played senior officers in Trek....she'd seen some changes!)

Cheers,
Lara
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #52
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

One thing that I find interesting is that I've heard over and over again by TNS fans that TOS started every episode with a 'clean slate' so to speak. That's not exactly true, you see several of the female fighters from this episode launching in the next couple of episodes. Also in the next episide Baltar walks with a limp from an injury that he receives in this episode.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #53
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Galactica was in fact the first regular sci-fi show to be mindful of what had happened previously since the first few episodes of "Lost In Space." The very idea of the continuing story arc in a sci-fi series started with TOS.

Another example is how one week after Apollo loses his wife in this episode, that fact is mentioned not once but *twice* in "The Lost Warrior." A giant step forward from the days of Star Trek when Kirk would "forget" all about his past week's romances without any Vulcan mind melds.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #54
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
if you compare it to other network shows of the time it was light years ahead...I caught an ep of Quincy the other day and literally cringed when he told the female investigator from the CDC sent to track the origin of a food poisoning outbreak at a stadium that it was going to be a treat working with such a good looking girl and how did such a looker get a job with so much responsibility and she took it without so much as an eye roll...eehwww!!

(BTW the actress playing the investigator was the one who has subsequently played senior officers in Trek....she'd seen some changes!)

Cheers,
Lara

Lara,

Was the episode entitled "Deadly Arena" and was the actress, Diana Muldaur?

If so, she played Dr. Miranda Jones in the ST:TOS episode, "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" and she also played Dr. Kate Pulaski on ST:TNG, replacing Gates McFadden (and Dr. Crusher), for a year.

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #55
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Galactica was in fact the first regular sci-fi show to be mindful of what had happened previously since the first few episodes of "Lost In Space." The very idea of the continuing story arc in a sci-fi series started with TOS.

Another example is how one week after Apollo loses his wife in this episode, that fact is mentioned not once but *twice* in "The Lost Warrior." A giant step forward from the days of Star Trek when Kirk would "forget" all about his past week's romances without any Vulcan mind melds.

Something to also consider is that prior to the very late '70's, nearly all television shows were episodic in nature. About the only shows that followed a somewhat rigid 'continuity' were the daytime soaps. Now, with the advent of prime-time soaps such as "Dallas", "Dynasty", "Falcon Crest", etc, as well as the various mini-series, serialized storytelling began to take off. Based on the rather high ratings that these shows garnered, it may be safe to say that folks preferred storytelling with an ongoing/continuing storyline.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 9th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #56
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Lara,

Was the episode entitled "Deadly Arena" and was the actress, Diana Muldaur?

If so, she played Dr. Miranda Jones in the ST:TOS episode, "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" and she also played Dr. Kate Pulaski on ST:TNG, replacing Gates McFadden (and Dr. Crusher), for a year.

BST
yes, spot on..

I didn't remember her name and couldn't recall if she'd played an 'admiral' as well as a Doctor or two!! Just remembered the look and teh voice from Trek

But then I'm hopeless with names, and only get to see the Quincy eps when I'm home sick..

Thanks,
Cheers,
Lara
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #57
bsg1fan1975
Major

I thought the high point of this episode was how Apollo comforted Boxey after Serina died. It showed that we can feel pain and love for the loss of a fellow human at the same time.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #58
Wildcard

Quote:

paticularly when you consider how many 2 part episodes they did in the single season, it truly was the first sci-fi series that had something approaching a story arc, thus laying the groundwork for shows like B5.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM   #59
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default what is carbide

What is carbide? Is it carbon dioxide?
Years ago there was a company here on Earth called Union Carbide, but I don't know if it is even still in business.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM   #60
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Default Re: what is carbide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto View Post
What is carbide? Is it carbon dioxide?
Years ago there was a company here on Earth called Union Carbide, but I don't know if it is even still in business.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide
In chemistry, a carbide is a compound composed of carbon and a less electronegative element. Carbides can be generally classified by chemical bonding type as follows: salt-like, covalent compounds, interstitial compounds, and "intermediate" transition metal carbides. Examples include calcium carbide, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide (often called simply carbide), and cementite, each used in key industrial applications.
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote