Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 29th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #1
Bijou88

Exclamation Troubles with disc 2 Side 2

Is anyone else haveing troubles with their Battlestar Galactica DVD Set? On disc 2 side 2 I am having video problems. After the opening credits of of "The Magnificent Warriors," the picture breaks up and becomes completely unwatchable. Please let me know.
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

What player are you using?
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #3
Bijou88

My DVD player is a RCA model RC5220P. I admit it is an older model, but I have a large DVD collection and I never have had this problem before. I am really bummed out that my Battlestar Galactica set is not perfect.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Another member here had a problem and they also have an RCA player.

Some Suggestions:

Check the disk for scratches or dust.
Try the disk in another player if feasible.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Commander Taggert had the same problem, he's mostly found on the boards at Cylon Alliance (cylon.org)

Julie

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #6
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

I have the episode playing right now. No problems thus far. I have an RCA RC6001P.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #7
137th Gebirg
Warrior

I've noticed that video breakups can sometimes be caused by dust, fingerprints or hair folicles stuck to the disc surface by static electricity caused by the high RPM's that the discs rotate at. Remove the disc and check both sides to make sure there's nothing on the surface that could scatter the reading laser.
Old October 30th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #8
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Default I watched it

The other day - no problems - but we have a fairly new AIWA... it plays on the mini-dvd player too... haven't tried it on my computer yet though <G>.

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #9
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Bijou... as has been said, I experienced the exact same problem, at the exact same place, with the exact same episode, on the exact same disc.

I don't think it's dust or scratches... I think there was a problem with the encoding on a certain batch of those discs, of which you and I happen to be the unfortunate recipients.

I contacted Amazon (where I purchased my DVD's) and explained the problem, and they have sent me another set.

I'm going to check that disc, specifically, before sending my original set back.

I haven't noted any similar problems on any other disc.

You should be able to return your set to the place where you bought it for a full exchange. Hopefully, the problem won't exist on your replacement set.
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #10
Bijou88

Thanks everyone for the quick responces. I do not think that it is dirt or scratches. I am always very careful when I handle my DVDs. Captain Taggert, I will return the set and hope for the best. Please let me know how things turn out at your end.
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #11
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Bijou88
I do not think that it is dirt or scratches. I am always very careful when I handle my DVDs.
It may not be your disc. I've had situations where some rogue dust-bunnies would get stuck to the laser's reading lens itself. Blowing it out with a compressed air canister may help, if that's the problem. You would also see consistently bad video playback on all your other discs as well. If that's not the case, than your player is likely ok.
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:30 AM   #12
Westy
Warrior

Default hair follicles???

"hair folicles stuck to the disc surface"

a follicle is a depression in the skin from which the hair emerges...maybe a mini cylon had access to the DVD...better watch out over there!
Old November 1st, 2003, 07:09 AM   #13
Bijou88

Disc 2 side 2 is the only disc that is giving me problems. All the other discs play fine. I am sure it is not the DVD player. In fact, I watched "The Living Legend" last night. What a great episode!
Old November 1st, 2003, 07:22 AM   #14
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bijou88
Disc 2 side 2 is the only disc that is giving me problems. All the other discs play fine. I am sure it is not the DVD player. In fact, I watched "The Living Legend" last night. What a great episode!

I noticed that some of the disks are gold coated. Sometimes the machine may have trouble reading it.
Old November 1st, 2003, 11:46 AM   #15
Bijou88

It is my understanding that the DVD discs with a gold finish contain more information than the ones with the silver finish. I have noticed the color difference in other DVDs and they have never given me any problems. I don't think that the color of the disks are part of the problem here. I believe that there is a flawed batch of #2 disks that Captain Taggert and I have had the misfortune of obtaining.
Old November 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM   #16
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Disc 2...

I carefully watched Disc 2 just to make sure what was up and thank the lords that nothing happened. My picture broke up a tiny tiny bit when the very first picture came up on The Magnificent Warriors, but it was very small and it cleared up immediately...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:25 PM   #17
Starbuck_frack

I have a question for the group. I watched disc 4 side 1 no problems. On side 2 though nothing?? Has anyone else had this problem???? I noticed that the episodes and deleted scenes on that disc are all on side 1. Did they just forget to put anything on side 2 on all the discs or just mine?? If anyone could help with this it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:56 PM   #18
Starbuckkkkk
Just Lost My Cherry!

The fourth disk (and the disk five) are blank on the second side. Here is the layout and time for the entire box set:

Battlestar Galactica -The Complete Epic Series

Disc One
Side one – “Saga of the star world” Part 1 60:00
Part 2 55:02
Part 3 24:02
-Commentary 2:19:00
-Deleted Scenes “SOTSW” 34:53
-Glen A. Larson Creation of Battlestar 7:00
-Stu Phillips Composing the Score 6:00

Side two -- “Lost Planet of the Gods” Part 1 48:42
Part 2 48:34
- Deleted Scenes “LPOTG” 15:02

Disc Two

Side one -“The Lost Warrior" 48:39
-Deleted Scenes 3:44
-“The Long Patrol” 48:44
-Deleted Scenes 11:29

Side two -“Gun on Ice Planet Zero” Part 1 48:27
Part 2 48:43
-Deleted Scenes 9:33
-“The Magnificent Warriors” 48:44

Disc Three

Side one -“The Young Lords” 47:43
-Deleted & Alternate Scenes 12:52
-“The Living Legned” Part 1 48:43
Part 2 48:42
-Deleted & Alternate Scenes 12:15

Side two -“Fire In Space” 48:47
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes 8:49
-Inside Battlestar Galactica:The Cylons 4:49
-Working with the Daggit 5:11
-Battlestar Mini-Series 2:04
-Battlestar Interactive Game 5:07

Disc Four

-“War of the Gods” Part 1 48:42
Part 2 48:43
-Deleted Scenes 22:02
-“The Man With Nine Lives” 49:17
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes 15:10

Disc Five
-“Murder On The Rising Star” 48:55
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes 8:54
-“Greetings From Earth” 2hr version 97:29
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes 19:33

Disc Six
Side one -“Baltar’S Escape” 48:41
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes 6:41
-“Experiment In Terra” 48:43
-Deleted Scenes 10:18
-“Take The Celestra” 48:48

Side two -“The Hand Of God” 48:44
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes 16:24
-Remembering Galactica 45:00

Extras 4:42:50
Starbuckkkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:41 PM   #19
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Something interesting to all. I put in disk 1 side 2 and got a bad video breakup at time index 8:00 or so. It's the wacky frozen image/half image you get usually from scratches. I sighed and thought oh well, guess I got a bad one. Looked at the disk and it was okay, just some really, really light fingerprints (the kind that usually have no effect). Just for the heck of it, I cleaned the disk. Now it works fine and I've tried it twice. Methinks these disks are a little more sensitive than most. I've played other disks with gads of prints with no problems.

Just thought it was interesting...

P.S. Thank you for the disk layout Starbuckkkkk! Welcome to Colonial Fleets!!!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 07:32 AM   #20
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Errors...

I have found at least two spelling errors in the booklet that comes with the DVD set...Galactica is spelled "Gallactica" in one of the synopses and Muffit is spelled Moffit!!!!

sorry Muffy!!!!

Old November 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #21
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Pixel break-up problem

A solution to the problem is hit the back button on your DVD player, then let it play through. This should clear up this problem. I’m running a relatively new Panasonic DVD-CD CV52 machine and an older Go Video DVD/VCR combo as well as a friends Sony DVD machine and have pixel break-up on all three.

It’s the DVD’s not the DVD player that is the problem the quality of the disc is poor. Universal sub-contracted to the lowest bidder, some Asian Company to make a really cheap set of discs. Apparently both the premium (gold) and the regular (silver) editions of Battlestar Galactica DVD’s have this problem. The package cost more than the hardware. (DVD)

Heads-up it does not hurt to clean the DVD player, follow your manufacture's instructions or just use one of those computer CD/DVD cleaner disks. Any Radio Shack, Circuit City or Best Buy will have ‘em.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #22
Artemis
Warrior

I noticed the mis-spelling of "Gallactica" but I didn't catch the "Moffit". I think the 'Gallactica' one is on the back of the smaller disk box, I haven't had a chance to read the booklet yet.
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #23
Bijou88

I have just tried to perform the "reverse then let it play method" to fix the Problem. Unfortunately, it does not work for me. The picture still splits up into pixels or freezes on one frame. I returned the set to Circuit City for an exchange. They were all out and the lady behind the counter said that they could not special order new sets. This sounded like a load of felgercarb to me, but what could I do? She said that I will be notified via e-mail when they get in new sets. I also e-mailed Universal Home Video to make them aware of my plight. They have not answered. How frustrateing! Except for the one problem with the video, I am thrilled with the set.
Old November 4th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #24
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Errors...

Quote:
Originally posted by Charybdis
I have found at least two spelling errors in the booklet that comes with the DVD set...Galactica is spelled "Gallactica" in one of the synopses and Muffit is spelled Moffit!!!!

sorry Muffy!!!!
I saw that too Charybdis! Guess I'm an airfield now!
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #25
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Another Criticism.

The disks were hard to extract. It took me about 45 minutes to get them out. I purchased replacement cases before hand to put them in and recommend this so disaster doesn't strike.
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #26
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Sorry to hear that Kingfish. Mine come out great. Guess I got a lucky batch. The myriad of disk holder methodologies out there is my one criticism of DVDs in general. Everybody's got a different way of holding the DVD in the case and none of 'em are really all that great. Funny how CDs don't have that problem!

My Planet of the Apes set was impossible to remove and I ended up ruining a disk till I got the trick of removing them. Lucky for me I found a replacement (I feel really lucky about that). Now if only they were anamorphic...

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #27
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Gold discs...

What is the deal with the gold discs?? All of mine are standard silver, what's different about the gold ones?

And as far as getting the discs out of the package, yes, it is hard to extract them, but I gently lift up the edge and put as many fingers under the edge all the way around to pull it out as evenly as possible.

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #28
Starbuck_frack

Thank you Starbuckkkkk for the info. I will now just move on to disc 6. I have everything else watched up to this point. So why put them on 6 discs if you could fit them on 5 if there is nothing on side 2 of either disc 4 or 5??? Just wondering nobody has to answer that question.

Old November 5th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #29
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I wondered that too. I would think they would put disk 5 on the back of disk 4 and save on a bit of media. Hmm, maybe they had plans for more extras and ran out of time or something?

Old November 6th, 2003, 06:34 AM   #30
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffit
I wondered that too. I would think they would put disk 5 on the back of disk 4 and save on a bit of media. Hmm, maybe they had plans for more extras and ran out of time or something?

IMHO they should have went with the original 8 single sided disks. There is enough data on each disk without adding more. DVDs allow for standard play, long play, or extended play.