Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 4th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Harmonic Signals

Here is a new train of thought. Remember the signal intercepted in HOG. Boomer was the one to analyze it and in the end we see the moon landing. The question is about wheter or not the signal is a live feed or one that was bouncing from galaxy to galaxy. I bring this up because if it was live than the journey to Earth would have taken 11 years and not 30 as depicted in Galactica 1980 and the characters would have been much younger.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I have always wondered about that too Kingfish. It is so incredible that they left us with such a cliffhanger for all these years.

The lonely video console hazily blurting the news that would change Galactica forever is so much like our pleas to see what happened next. We are speaking, but like that console, no one is there to listen.

Maybe in some galaxy far away, someone will get a bounce of our feed and finish the story themselves...

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Well, there you have it, BSG continues to set a record for the longest continuing cliff-hanger in television history, 25 years and still counting!!

It does make one wonder just where the story would pick up, IF a continuation were to be done. In a way, G80 answered that by arriving 11 years after the Apollo 11 moon landing. (But, G80 is not considered canon so, it's back up in the air again).

I know we talked about this on another thread -- how the story would continue. I just can't remember which one, at the moment.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffit
I have always wondered about that too Kingfish. It is so incredible that they left us with such a cliffhanger for all these years.

....Maybe in some galaxy far away, someone will get a bounce of our feed and finish the story themselves...

I like the way you think, oh, similar vein check out the FAQ page at galacticonevents.com About halfway down the general questions there is a really funny one. You would like it Muffit.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #5
newt
Warrior

There is no way it could have been a live feed.

We wee a LEM landing, then we see a picture of a LEM on the moon with the "...the Eagle has landed" audio.

The LEM shot on the moon was taken from Apollo 17, I think, not 11. When Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon (Apollo 11), there wasn't a camera set up to record the image of the LEM after it landed!

To me, this had always been obvious, that the Galactica had intercepted a retransmission of edited scenes. What band did they pick this up in? Could it have been a TV band?

Of course, it could have been an alternate reality, transmission through a time warp, or any other number of sci fi gimmicks...

So...for sake of argument, let's imagine this was actually a NASA feed to Skylab; maybe one of the astronauts was working on a post Apollo project (to perhaps encourage funding Apollo's 18-20, whose CM/SMs were actually used in SkyLab and Apollo/Soyuz in '75). This puts HoG at 1974 or later.

Anyway, back to Galactica 1980. This actually doesn't help to explain the 30 years between HoG and GDE, while actually anywhere from 0-8 years had pased on Earth!

But of course the final answer is obvious: the producers meant it as a live Apollo 11 transmission, the footage of the Eagle on the moon being necessary to show the "uneducated" viewers that this was an Apollo moon landing. Galactica 1980 never considered it, nor did the creators figure any fan would actually be analyzing this question 25 years later!

If you think this is bad, I'm wondering how Space:1999's continuation is going to explain the lack of Moonbase: Alpha in 2003! (I suspect that the title will be changed to Space:2099, and that the 1999 bit will be written off as a Y2K glitch )

Greg
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
But of course the final answer is obvious: the producers meant it as a live Apollo 11 transmission, the footage of the Eagle on the moon being necessary to show the "uneducated" viewers that this was an Apollo moon landing. Galactica 1980 never considered it, nor did the creators figure any fan would actually be analyzing this question 25 years later!
You hit it on the head there, I think, Greg (can I call you Greg?).

There is also the factor to consider that we don't know how long the signal traveled, either. Remember, radio travels at the speed of light - how many light years did it travel before Galactica picked it up?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #7
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

I think you're right too...

It had to have been in the future some time - and if you discount the whole crapola with BG:1980 then you would be able to put it as far in the future as you wanted to...

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
The LEM shot on the moon was taken from Apollo 17, I think, not 11. When Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon (Apollo 11), there wasn't a camera set up to record the image of the LEM after it landed!
OMG, I was so busy thinking of possibilities, I forgot that one 'little' technicality

The reference to the Apollo 11 moon landing was undoubtedly used since most of viewing audience, at that time, was familiar with the phrase, "the Eagle has landed". I believe the name of the command module was 'Columbia' but, God help me, I can't remember the names of the other Apollo lunar and command vehicles (and I just visited KSC (and the Astronaut Hall of Fame) a few weeks ago)!! Do I need help?? How many ways can you say YES!!

Back to the issue, the question was how far the signal had travelled. Boomer made a reference about "if it is a primary signal then, it would have travelled a long way for the signal to be this degraded, if it is a harmonic signal, it could be from a source relatively close by". (That's not an exact quote, just the effort from my few remaining memory cells working double overtime).

This uncertainty, especially if it was a primary signal, left the door open for a number of possibilities for the discovery of Earth. Unfortunately, G80 was the choice.

Hopefully, we'll have a chance to change that!! (Maybe G80 was an alternate reality).

BST
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #9
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I can't remember the names of the other Apollo lunar and command vehicles
I'll do a little research and drop off the list in the Non-BSG forum.

BST

Mission Accomplished! If interested, check the link:

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...&threadid=2970

Last edited by BST; May 5th, 2003 at 02:33 PM..
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #10
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
I like the way you think, oh, similar vein check out the FAQ page at galacticonevents.com About halfway down the general questions there is a really funny one. You would like it Muffit.
LOL! Hey, it could happen! 'Course, with our luck and the way the BSG revival has been turning out, we'd end up with the real Galactica run by a transsexual Dr. Zee

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffit
LOL! Hey, it could happen! 'Course, with our luck and the way the BSG revival has been turning out, we'd end up with the real Galactica run by a transsexual Dr. Zee

:laugh: That is funny. This was the first post I read this morning.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote