Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old May 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 BG-11: The Man With Nine Lives

A con-man claims to be Starbuck's long lost father as a ploy to hide from a trio of Borellian Nomen who seek his life who gain admittance to the Galactica by enrolling in a warrior training program.

Series stars; Richard Hatch as Apollo, Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, Herb Jefferson Jr. as Boomer, Lorne Greene as Adama, Terry Carter as Colonel Tigh, Maren Jensen as Athena, Tony Swartz as Jolly, Laurette Spang as Cassiopia, Noah Hathaway as Boxey, Sarah Rush as Rigel, David Greenan as Omega, Anne Lockhart as Sheba, Jack Stauffer as Bojay, Ed Begley, Jr. as Greenbean, and John Colicos as Baltar.

Guest starring Fred Astaire as Chameleon, Anne Jeffreys as Siress Blassie, Lance LeGault as Maga, Robert Feero as Bora, Anthony De Longis as Taba, Bruce Wright as Cpl. Lomas, Patricia Stich as Zara, and Ted Parker as Zed.

(Thanks to Michael Faries Battlestar Galactica.com)

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH

Last edited by Flamingo Girl; May 10th, 2003 at 06:10 PM..
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:41 PM   #2
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default two short scenes with actresses

There are two scenes with actresses in "Man With Nine Lives" that I'd like to point out. One of them has mystified me for 25 years now.
If you own a copy of the episode when it originally aired, or the VHS version, there is a scene in there which always gets deleted in syndicated reruns.
When the Nomen go looking for Starbuck and Chameleon (after they've knocked out Corporal Lomas), the Nomen find two warriors and ask them where to find the two men. The warriors, not knowing the Nomen are on the warpath, innocently tell the Nomen that Starbuck is in the launch bay. The warriors are Leanne Hunley and a resurrected Alex Hyde-White. Although this scene is always deleted in syndication, their names continue to show up in the closing credits.
The other actress is in the scene where Sheba and Apollo are in the shuttle and Sheba is excited about Starbuck possibly finding his father. They bring up the subject of the Nomen. The woman who is piloting the shuttle turns around and asks them, "The Nomen did what?"
This woman has long black hair and a somewhat smoky voice that sounds familiar to me. It is NOT Maren Jensen, nor any of the other actresses who had bit parts in the series. She's not in the closing credits and I've never been able to figure out who she is. Do any of you know?

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 06:04 AM   #3
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default Man with Nine Lives

I'm not sure who the actress in the shuttle with Apollo and Sheba is, but the character may be Hera. In the books published during and after the orginal series ran, there was a character called Hera who was another of Starbuck's lady friends, and really gave him a hard time. She was not from the Colonies, though. She and some other people joined the quest after the Galactica stopped on one of the various planets that popped up after the Hand of God ep. The reason I it might be her even though that ep had not aired yet is that she was described the same way: tall, a little taller than Starbuck, with long dark hair. Larson seemed to always have more characters up his sleeve and to place them in at odd times. So, I wonder if she could be a Hera that could have become a prominent character if we had had a second season!
Bye,
Carolyn
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #4
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default hera

I never thought of Hera. She was from a planet called Vaile in the later (post-episode novelization) books.
But if I remember correctly, she likes Apollo, or maybe Apollo likes her. If you recall, the writers of those later novels reintroduced Croft, and he was interested in Sheba, so Apollo became interested in Hera instead.

Mary
Old July 25th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #5
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default Hera and Starbuck

Hi Mary,
It's been several years since I read the books. I remember that Starbuck was interested in Hera and she was interested in him, but that she was a little taller than he was. He realized this when SHE kissed HIM! This made his uncomfortable, and he ws discussing it with Apollo who was making fun of him about it. I think really he was uncomfortable that she was pursuing him. She had stated that she wanted him( Who wouldn't?) for well, you know, but not for a long term relationship!
I also remember that Croft wanted Sheba, but that Sheba was still longing for Apollo. I think she was beginning to become discouraged about their sort-of relationship, and considering Croft as an interesting alternative!
Maybe, if I can't afford or find the DVD, I'll go back and read the novels instead of watching the mini! At least the characters are true to the original!
Cheers,
Carolyn
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Nicely said Carolyn You said my thoughts exactly!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #7
chez1701
Shuttle Pilot

Actually i was waiting for a dance number.

" It dosen't matter how or why, as of this moment WE ARE AT WAR!"
chez1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #8
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

According to the DVD commentary Fred Astaire refused doing any dance number because he felt that he had done enough dancing in his life. In the "deleted scenes" section of this episode on the DVD you can hear the director giving Astaire the call "Okay, Fred, you are NOT dancing, you are finishing you lines."
However, there are some dances after this episode but without Mr Astaire.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:07 PM   #9
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Some interesting things. The odd looking glasses they drink from (they look like a woman's figure) were popular in the late 70's. They were used to make water candles, a fad that lasted only briefly. I had that exact glass as one of my water candles!

This ep has few special effects but a great plot and fine execution which more than make up for it. Really shows that the cast could carry the show easily even sans fx, and that BSG was never just an eye candy show. It always had these great stories!

Also we see some neat character development with Starbuck as the startling revelation of his father moves him to straighten out his life and do "something meaningful". When Astaire tells Cassie to tell Starbuck the tests are negative, it really yanks the old heart emotionally - what a great plot twist! If only we had been given a second season, the hidden truth of Starbuck and his father could've been dramataically used.

*Sigh*
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #10
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

I posted this Speculation in another thread but the Nomen do bear a striking resemblance to the post series Klingons. Funny thing, the Nomen appeared 1st!
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I LOVEEEEEED that PLot Twist. I think that chameleon did
that to PROTECT Starbuck FROM the Nomen.
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #12
WARDAGGIT73

Default * to ****

One the weakest episodes, for me. Borellion Nomen are a non-event, groovy bolos though...
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM   #13
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
There are two scenes with actresses in "Man With Nine Lives" that I'd like to point out. One of them has mystified me for 25 years now.
If you own a copy of the episode when it originally aired, or the VHS version, there is a scene in there which always gets deleted in syndicated reruns.
When the Nomen go looking for Starbuck and Chameleon (after they've knocked out Corporal Lomas), the Nomen find two warriors and ask them where to find the two men. The warriors, not knowing the Nomen are on the warpath, innocently tell the Nomen that Starbuck is in the launch bay. The warriors are Leanne Hunley and a resurrected Alex Hyde-White. Although this scene is always deleted in syndication, their names continue to show up in the closing credits.
The other actress is in the scene where Sheba and Apollo are in the shuttle and Sheba is excited about Starbuck possibly finding his father. They bring up the subject of the Nomen. The woman who is piloting the shuttle turns around and asks them, "The Nomen did what?"
This woman has long black hair and a somewhat smoky voice that sounds familiar to me. It is NOT Maren Jensen, nor any of the other actresses who had bit parts in the series. She's not in the closing credits and I've never been able to figure out who she is. Do any of you know?

Mary
Those scenes were in the dvd's but I think in the deleted scenes although I'm not
sure as I only saw the ep once since it first aired ...........just a few weeks ago.

They never said who the woman was that had long black hair ......but I do know
that you were right and she's NOT Maren Jensen.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM   #14
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Angelus
I posted this Speculation in another thread but the Nomen do bear a striking resemblance to the post series Klingons. Funny thing, the Nomen appeared 1st!
I think you're right about that Trevor.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:20 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDAGGIT73

One the weakest episodes, for me. Borellion Nomen are a non-event, groovy bolos though...
I absolutely loveeeeeeeed the bolos
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #16
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Default klingons before startrek

did the new star trek movie have ridges on the klingons heads i cant remember one of the best life ib the fleet showsonly time i dont remember cyvilins having weopens in show execpt for the nomen in this and baltars escape outer fleet marker alphas light crusier wardaggit coming back from deep probe no tin heads setup the cold ones on the setting moon were coming in three handed dealer on pinincis?????
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM   #17
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default blassie's ship

You learn an interesting piece of trivia regarding Siress Blassie in a deleted scene from "Man With Nine Lives" on the DVD. She complains that she was forced to move from a ship called the Crucible to the senior ship. This is the only mention I've ever heard of the Crucible.
Mary
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:58 AM   #18
BRG
Warrior

Cool ***

I good wee episode, 3 out of 5.

At last, we have an episode that developes a major character, and opens up his back story! Apart from a few hints about characters past's(Boomer stole hovercars, Apollo studied law, and Cassie was involved with Cain) this was the only episode that really opened up a character. In learning Starbuck's past, it somehow makes the brash, fearless fighter pilot more believable, and more likeable! And although it seemed too big a coincidence that Chameleon turned out to be his old man, it was still a touching moment when he finds out Starbuck is his son, but chooses to hide the truth to prevent Starbuck throwing away his career, and instead remain as buddies. Nice scene.

Great to see Fred Astaire! He gave a fine perormance as the lovable old chancer. and was always a likable character, even when you thought he was using Starbuck just to escape the Nomen. I thought Astaire & Benedict played off each other well, I loved the final line when Starbuck askes Chameleon if he's sure his card system doesn't work, and Chameleon replies "Positive......Unless you cheat"! Adama's reaction summed it up perfectly!
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #19
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default The Man With Nine Lives

The Man With Nine Lives

Original Airdate: January 28, 1979

Writer: Don Bellisario.

Director: Rod Holcomb.

Guest Cast: Fred Astaire (Chameleon), Anne Jeffreys (Siress Blassie), Lance LeGault (Maga), Robert Feero (Bora), Anthony DeLongis (Taba).

Running from the Borellian Noman, an aged conman named Chameleon seeks out Starbuck and leads him to believe that he might be his father.

Producer Don Bellisario picked up the telephone receiver, not knowing that a true living legend was waiting on the other end. The voice said, “this is Fred Astaire.”

After explaining that his grandchildren were enormous fans of the series, Astaire asked if it would be possible for him to play a small guest part. Bellisario answered enthusiastically, “Mr. Astaire, I will write a two-hour episode around you!”

For cast members, the opportunity to work with Astaire was a once in a lifetime opportunity. "It was my favorite episode," recalls Benedict, "and Fred and I consequently were friends for the rest of his life as the result of that.”

“Fred didn't want to dance on camera," says story editor Terrence McDonnell. "I know we had a few sessions about this and we got it in. As far as I know, that may be the last time he danced on film. It’s very tight on him but he's still dancing. For trivia games, where did Fred Astaire dance last? No, it wasn't That's Entertainment Part 2 it was on Battlestar Galactica!"

peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:00 AM   #20
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG
although it seemed too big a coincidence that Chameleon turned out to be his old man, it was still a touching moment when he finds out Starbuck is his son, but chooses to hide the truth to prevent Starbuck throwing away his career, and instead remain as buddies. Nice scene.
Even as a boy this scene bothered me. I found the odds of the coincidence too large. I think they should have either let us know Chameleon always knew he was Starbuck's father for real and chose to let him think otherwise or let it stand that he was nothing more than a colorful con artist.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM   #21
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Even as a boy this scene bothered me. I found the odds of the coincidence too large. I think they should have either let us know Chameleon always knew he was Starbuck's father for real and chose to let him think otherwise or let it stand that he was nothing more than a colorful con artist.
yeah, that always bugged me too. And the fact that Chameleon makes up the science necessary to figure out this sort of stuff, but then it turns out to really work. Huh? Maybe, he heard about the process somewhere else and just told Cassie how to perform the tests and deciphere the results, but then you're stating that he understands everything well enough to answer any and all questions that the medical staff may have had along the way. So maybe, the medical staff already knew of the procedure and Chameleon never had to say anything. But then that opens up a whole new line of questioning.

The episdoe is cute, but I'm left with the unsettling feeling that the writers didn't try very hard, or worse yet, saw all the holes themselves but figured that audience wouldn't.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM   #22
LZaza
Warrior

Default Re: BG-11: The Man With Nine Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope View Post
I thought there was a certain amount of poetic justice in the fact that Chameleon set out to use Starbuck, and then found that the Viper pilot was indeed his son. Not only did we see character development in Starbuck, but we then witnessed a selfless act from the long-established conman, Chameleon, however misguided.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM   #23
Senmut
Strike Leader

Yes! That was, to me, the whole point, Zaz.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM   #24
LZaza
Warrior

I think my only complaint with this ep was Starbuck's reaction to Apollo and Boomer checking up on Chameleon. I remember at the time writhing with embarrassment that he would react that way, breaking off their friendship.

But recently I was thinking about how much he wanted Chameleon to be his father, how much he needed to find his family, how he would have carried that one sore point through his life . . . and his friends challenged the fantasy of father reuniting with son that he was finally living out. So, his dramatic overreaction actually did make sense, especially since he is Starbuck.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #25
Senmut
Strike Leader

PLUS....
As a kid in the orphanage, I'll bet he had no rpivacy at all. Either the other kids going through his stuff, or the staff, always making sure he isn't doing something "wrong". "All for the good of the child, you know!"
Probably brought flashbacks.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM   #26
LZaza
Warrior

Yeah, I can see how Starbuck wouldn't necessarily be accustomed to someone actually looking out for his welfare, more they would have been making sure he didn't screw up. All from a disciplinarian point of view.

So how many orphans do you figure ended up in the Colonial Service?
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:11 AM   #27
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quite alot. They have no families, no roots. It offers them the chnace for some sort of belonging and cohesion.
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #28
djwajda
Shuttle Pilot

i always loved this episode
djwajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #29
LZaza
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwajda View Post
i always loved this episode
Me too. One of my favourites.
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:30 PM   #30
Senmut
Strike Leader

And hey, Fred Astaire. Too bad Siress Blassie wasn't played by Ginger Rogers...