Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Default Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?
Source: IGN Movies
February 20, 2009

IGN Movies is reporting that Universal Pictures is planning to turn the TV series "Battlestar Galactica" into a feature film with series creator Glen A. Larson being lined up to script and produce it.

The film will be based on the original series from 1978-79 rather than the recent reboot from the SCI FI Channel. In the series, humanity lived on twelve colony worlds in a far distant star system. They fought a thousand-year war with the Cylons, warrior robots created by a reptilian race which expired long ago--presumably destroyed by their own creations. Having never been commanded to cease fire, these warrior robots continuously waged war against the colonials. Mankind was defeated in a sneak attack on their homeworlds conceived by these robotic servants, now referred to as Cylons, and carried out with the help of Count Baltar (John Colicos). Protected by the last surviving warship, a "battlestar" called Galactica, the survivors fled in any ship that could fly. The Commander of the Galactica, Adama (Lorne Greene), led this "rag-tag fugitive fleet" of 220 ships in search of a new home on a legendary planet called Earth. The series co-starred Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict.

You can read more on this here
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Is a 'Battlestar Galactica' Movie in the Works?
Rumors say big-screen version would follow original series
February 20, 2009

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/za...tory?track=rss

This has all happened before, and "Battlestar Galactica" could happen again.

Rumors are swirling on outlets from IGN to The Hollywood Reporter about a possible deal between series creator Glen A. Larson and Universal to bring "Galactica" to the big screen. The kicker is, the movie would not follow Sci Fi's current series, but would instead play off of the original 1978 incarnation. While the Sci Fi series ends this spring, it's already spawned a prequel in "Caprica," as well as rumors of its own big-screen franchise.

Questions abound: Would the Sci Fi series go unacknowledged? How about "Galactica 1980," when the ragtag fleet finally did find Earth? Would Richard Hatch, who stars on the current series, reprise his Apollo role from the 1978 shows?

Universal was forthcoming about none of the above. Representatives from Sci Fi told Zap2it they hadn't heard anything about the plan either.
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Universal in talks for 'Battlestar' movie
Glen A. Larson would write, produce the film
By Borys Kit
Feb 20, 2009, 06:28 PM ET

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f55a20baf1089a

Just as the acclaimed Sci Fi Channel series "Battlestar Galactica" enters its final episodes, Universal has quietly entered into negotiations with Glen A. Larson to write and produce a big-screen version of the property he created.

"Battlestar," which originally aired on ABC in 1978, was produced in the wake of the success of "Star Wars," which caused a sci-fi revival in popular culture. The premise involved a human civilization living on a series of 12 planets that are decimated from an attack by intelligent robots known as Cylons. The survivors are led by a starship called Galactica in their attempt to find a mythic 13th planet named Earth.

The Sci Fi series, under the direction of executive producer Ronald Moore, took the premise and ran with it, incorporating the politics of war, religion, torture and destiny, becoming the channel's signature series.

The movie effort would have no connection to the series and would relaunch the story in a new medium. However, staples such as the characters Adama, Starbuck, and Baltar will remain.

Larson was one of the biggest names in 1970s and '80s TV and creator of shows like "Switch" and "Magnum P.I."

Universal had no comment.
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

This is interesting....

With all these announcements popping up in different places - places that are entertainment touchstones, but Universal has no comment?

There's a story there - I wonder how it will all pan out?

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #5
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Puts a on my face, it does!
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:26 AM   #6
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm trying not to fly off the handle here and get too excited. However...this does seem to be more than the usual "its coming down the pipe" scenario. These are some pretty big news venues!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I hope you are right Darrel. We have waited a long time for a real Sci-Fi and not some silly drama
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
mikedx
Warriordx

BattlestarGalacticaAutographs.com

I wanted to share that I sent Richard Hatch the news link and asked him if he heard anything about it. He responded that he's heard lots of rumors, but who knows. And that Glen does have the movie rights. He said let's hope for the best.

Personally, I would love for this to happen. But I thought if there was any credence in the article, at least Richard would have been contacted about it. And we've heard Glen talk about this in the past without anything actually happening. I wonder about the timing of it as well, with the new series coming to an end and possible telemovies happening afterwards.

But with all that said, lets keep our fingers crossed! It would be a dream come true to see our heroes back in action.
mikedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM   #9
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Well...Tom DeSanto and Glen Larson both suddenly have undisclosed (only for industry insiders...ooh ahh) "in development" credits on their IMDB pages. That and if there hasn't been an official announcement then it is more than likely that anyone involved has signed a non disclosure agreement so they naturally wouldn't say anything.

The next few weeks should be very interesting!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

There had been rumors a few years ago but they sorta died away. Lets hope it is true. It would be great to see the guys back on the screen again
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Mike, why would Richard know anything/be contacted? His involvement has been with the SciFi version.
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If I had a nickel for every rumor about a revival project since 1993 when Larson dropped a tantalizing hint at the 15 Yahren Con that drew applause and cheers from the crowd, I think I'd be rich by now. I have seen the fanbase of this show get burned and screwed so many times over the years while waiting with the patience of Job that innate cynicism and skepticism is the only reaction I can have to a story like this, that's phrased in the same kind of rumor way that all the previous ones were. In short, nothing substantive = no enthusiasm from me.

And also, if any of us recall how Larson was trying to push his theatrical vision a decade ago with the "walking vipers" concept and how he wasn't even interested in using any of the original cast and wanted to focus on the Pegasus, then that should also make us wonder if Larson is really going to do something that would measure up to the standard of what we've been hoping to see all these years which is (1) A simple continuation of the original with original cast members returning, not necessarily in big roles and (2) respect for the *continuity* of what was established in the series which has been ignored and disregarded by practically EVERY person who has done an official Galactica project in the book and comics realm for the last decade (an exception being the early Max Press Comics and the short-lived Scalf comic. The less said about Hatch's novels and the Dynamite Press comic, the better though).
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedx View Post
I wanted to share that I sent Richard Hatch the news link and asked him if he heard anything about it. He responded that he's heard lots of rumors, but who knows. And that Glen does have the movie rights. He said let's hope for the best.

Personally, I would love for this to happen. But I thought if there was any credence in the article, at least Richard would have been contacted about it. And we've heard Glen talk about this in the past without anything actually happening. I wonder about the timing of it as well, with the new series coming to an end and possible telemovies happening afterwards.

But with all that said, lets keep our fingers crossed! It would be a dream come true to see our heroes back in action.
I noticed that too when it came to those IMDB pages as well. I have a small part of me that's very hopeful about this. I wasn't around the online community until right before the 2003 miniseries, so I didn't suffer the emotional "traumas" suffered by most. I've never felt anything but open mindedness towards the day when someone will finally get around to it. If nothing else, the speculation does give folks something to talk about besides politics and the weather. It's been way too quiet around here.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM   #14
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I'm hopeful...

That's all I'll allow myself to feel though, just hope. Not excitement, but also not despair, just hope.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM   #15
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
If I had a nickel for every rumor about a revival project since 1993 when Larson dropped a tantalizing hint at the 15 Yahren Con that drew applause and cheers from the crowd, I think I'd be rich by now. I have seen the fanbase of this show get burned and screwed so many times over the years while waiting with the patience of Job that innate cynicism and skepticism is the only reaction I can have to a story like this, that's phrased in the same kind of rumor way that all the previous ones were. In short, nothing substantive = no enthusiasm from me.

And also, if any of us recall how Larson was trying to push his theatrical vision a decade ago with the "walking vipers" concept and how he wasn't even interested in using any of the original cast and wanted to focus on the Pegasus, then that should also make us wonder if Larson is really going to do something that would measure up to the standard of what we've been hoping to see all these years which is (1) A simple continuation of the original with original cast members returning, not necessarily in big roles and (2) respect for the *continuity* of what was established in the series which has been ignored and disregarded by practically EVERY person who has done an official Galactica project in the book and comics realm for the last decade (an exception being the early Max Press Comics and the short-lived Scalf comic. The less said about Hatch's novels and the Dynamite Press comic, the better though).

Eric,

Long time, no talk to.. hope all is well with you and the family.

I can understand and appreciate the skepticism by a lot of folks .. there does seem to be a little different atmosphere this time, though.

Not sure where it will lead but, given the less than stellar record of Moore's show and its dwindling audience / rating numbers, the school of thought employed by Universal may be shifting to something more 'hopeful'.

At any rate, good to see you again!
Sleep now
They are calling

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM   #16
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Thanks, Pete, sorry I've been kind of incommunicado here of late as my Galactica activity is more confined to fanfic lists nowadays. Of course if there is substance to this AND if Larson is approaching this differently from a decade ago, that will certainly I think bring a lot of us inactive members back into the fold to discuss the possibilities of what might come from it.

But in the meantime, caution must be the word of the day for all of us.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM   #17
monolith21
Squadron Leader

This time around does seem to be a bit different doesn't it? I mean before it has always just been Glen saying that he was working on it. This time around it has the studio attached to it. The critical acclaim of the new show (granted...not the ratings) may have helped or it may not have. All I know is that this news seems a bit more trustworthy than that last few times around.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
I'm hopeful...

That's all I'll allow myself to feel though, just hope. Not excitement, but also not despair, just hope.
Ditto, ernie. Feelin' the same.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM   #19
Senmut
Strike Leader

The Sci-Fi channel abomination could be referenced as a bad sit-com, from the IFB.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM   #20
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
This time around does seem to be a bit different doesn't it? I mean before it has always just been Glen saying that he was working on it. This time around it has the studio attached to it. The critical acclaim of the new show (granted...not the ratings) may have helped or it may not have. All I know is that this news seems a bit more trustworthy than that last few times around.
That's the feeling I get from it. In recent years, it was usually someone that had met Larson at a con or something and was given the "I've got something in the works" statement, which got passed around and nothing ever came of it.

The idea that it's coming via entertainment media outlets in one form or another - and more than one at the same time is somewhat heartening. I know that caution is warranted as Eric pointed out, but it is nice to think that there might be a bright spot on the horizon for original series fans. Online BSG fandom has dwindled to a very small number in terms of the original. Too many people feeling cheated, disillusioned, or just plain tired of it all.

The original series always had a message of hope to it. I intend to follow that spirit and I have hope for this as well. I think that the original hasn't been forgotten and hasn't seen it's final days as yet.

I'll "keep a light on" for the day when we get the movie we all hoped to get.

Bryan

Old February 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM   #21
monolith21
Squadron Leader

So how do we re-energize the fan base to get 'em talking about this again? I think unfortunately its the major movers and shakers that are sort of burnt out. Rightfully so, they did a lot and got slapped in the face for their efforts.

What about running another ad?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:43 AM   #22
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

The original BSG formula would need major retooling to work in the modern day market, the Galactica's interior would need modifying but still need to be familiar to fans, the Cylons would need changing (no human looking ones though) or add a new line of Cylons to go with the old, additions to the original cast is needed, a few variations of the Vipers (no walking ones) and Raiders would be nice.

I hope it can be done and we get something sooner rather than later, the CGI that people show in the forum is just proof it can definitely work
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:40 AM   #23
mikedx
Warriordx

BattlestarGalacticaAutographs.com

Warrior, I just assumed that if they were doing a movie based on the original series, that some of the original actors would have been at least contacted to see if they were interested and/or available. I asked Terry Carter as well but haven't heard back from him yet.

But I readily admit that I don't know anything about how the process works. Maybe they wouldn't start casting until they got a green light for the project...

I also agree with mono's post being used to hearing Glen talk about something in the works without results. But hope for the best.
mikedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:15 AM   #24
conconcv66
Bad Email Address

maybe gino was a bad dream that apollo had. i hope this comes true
conconcv66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM   #25
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

This has been the talk for quite sometime now. The interesting parts will come in the version of Tom's involvement down the line. Glen does not have it anymore and the only way this get's done correctly is if DeSanto is a part of it. Which "if true" his name will surface along with an official notice.

Universal know's they dropped the ball on Galactica and now it's time to do it right. Unfortunately it will have to be changed because it's to far down the line for some. But if done right it would dwarf the scifi remake.

Interesting how this suddenly surfaces with the scifi version finally winding down.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #26
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thanks Don for tantalising us even more....:-)

When you say "Glen does not have it anymore" do you mean the rights ?

Any idea the timeframe of when more announcements/rumours will happen ?
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM   #27
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Warrior View Post
The original BSG formula would need major retooling to work in the modern day market, the Galactica's interior would need modifying but still need to be familiar to fans, the Cylons would need changing (no human looking ones though) or add a new line of Cylons to go with the old, additions to the original cast is needed, a few variations of the Vipers (no walking ones) and Raiders would be nice.

I hope it can be done and we get something sooner rather than later, the CGI that people show in the forum is just proof it can definitely work
With all due respect, I dispute that. Ron Moore has had over 5 years, from the time of mini-series to now, and has "re-tooled" the original BSG formula. Where has it gotten him (at the end of his series run) ?

Frankly, I think that a healthy dose of "feel good" shows and some true epic heroism is what this country needs, not just another dose of Hollywood-scripted "reality". When I want reality, I watch the news or read the news reports, I don't flip on the Sci-Fi channel.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #28
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
This has been the talk for quite sometime now. The interesting parts will come in the version of Tom's involvement down the line. Glen does not have it anymore and the only way this get's done correctly is if DeSanto is a part of it. Which "if true" his name will surface along with an official notice.

Universal know's they dropped the ball on Galactica and now it's time to do it right. Unfortunately it will have to be changed because it's to far down the line for some. But if done right it would dwarf the scifi remake.

Interesting how this suddenly surfaces with the scifi version finally winding down.
My thoughts exactly, my good man!

Although i can't complain, we've all asked for this kind news to drop soon as the Sci-Fi Channel Re-imagining version as winding down anyways. But yes, Larson name attacked to this alone wouldn't be enough given past histories of the struggle to even get one BSG movie done in the past 30 plus years, let alone surely several to kick start a new franchise of BSG theatrical movies.

Nice to know something dropped, but until some really big new about it all truly drops online, with pictures, casting news, official announcements etc. I wouldn't go through the pain yet again of another disappointment until things are well and truly underways at all.

Several other sci-fi genre films announced long before this by a few years ago, haven't even reached pre-production stage, or even got any finnancing done yet? Think we're all experienced enough not to jump or hype anything up, until ALOT more is known. Cos we're all well aware, even film or TV shows in development can be stopped even if they're a mere 2 weeks away from filming etc.

Even a greenlit BSG movie would be realistically years away still, but its nice to know that old TV show is alive and kicking in Hollywood as of 2009 by those who still give a damn.

KJ
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM   #29
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
Thanks Don for tantalising us even more....:-)

When you say "Glen does not have it anymore" do you mean the rights ?

Any idea the timeframe of when more announcements/rumours will happen ?
What i meant by this was that Glen doesn't have the pull in hollywood to make this happen on his own. He needs a hot name to get it to the screen the "right" way.

No one hotter than mister DeSanto.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM   #30
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
With all due respect, I dispute that. Ron Moore has had over 5 years, from the time of mini-series to now, and has "re-tooled" the original BSG formula. Where has it gotten him (at the end of his series run) ?

Frankly, I think that a healthy dose of "feel good" shows and some true epic heroism is what this country needs, not just another dose of Hollywood-scripted "reality". When I want reality, I watch the news or read the news reports, I don't flip on the Sci-Fi channel.

Pete's right here. I would say that there will need to be some changes but all in all there needs to be less than you think. This show done right can live off the look and feel of the original. No more reinventing please. I've seen enough of that over the years that's for sure.

I could really use a good "escape from reality" right now. The last few years have kind of sucked.