Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 7th, 2021, 03:11 PM   #31
Gundark
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: What order are the Richard Hatch books to be read?

So while we're still on this subject, I would like to confess that clearly I am a complete idiot (not to offend any partial idiots out there), as I ordered two copies of Rebellion, one from Amazon and one from Ebay (according to my mailman).

I can only blame this on being so busy with real life work (that's lame I know), and that annoyingly wonderful ability to buy things at 2:12 AM, in bed, on my phone, with "add to cart" and "buy now". I predict that at some point this is the very technology that will take us down faster than Skynet.

Therefore, I would like to offer to anyone here, the second copy, sent to them free of charge, as opposed to sending it along to Used Book Hell, if someone is interested in reading them and would like a freebie ! Just because Gundy is really that nice of a fan boy gal, and obviously as humble as Drax.

Takers ?
Gundark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2021, 08:26 AM   #32
Gundark
Shuttle Pilot

Oh boy.

So folks, I finished Rebellion since my last post. I cannot underestimate the non-religious blasphemy on page 108. Pure. Agony. Just so wrong in every way it can be. Completely unredeemed by the end but with a quirky turn of events that made it slightly more bearable, but not forgiven in any way.

Makes sense, yes ?
Old May 9th, 2021, 08:59 AM   #33
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I have never read past the first couple Hatch novels (and that was decades ago though I have in recent years reassembled all of them) but I did get the sense in general that as he went further along he and his writing partners were getting more afield than ever from the series itself in terms of the characters (and I felt there were problems in the first novel). Someday I hope to go through them again with a more open mind but I know it'll require a lot of patience on my part.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2021, 11:13 AM   #34
Gundark
Shuttle Pilot

I managed to acquire Paradis in paperback form and that is my next one to read.

I could not agree more, Eric, that despite it being intended as the "continuation" of TOS, some of the plot plots (whether Richard's ideas or bad advice on the part of the various co-authors) were odd, although there were some things I liked. However a major loose thread, I felt, was the distinct lack of Adama. (Sorry if that presents as a spoiler to non-readers), and some canon was terribly askew.
Old May 9th, 2021, 03:33 PM   #35
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The chief problem is I think Richard's ghostwriters broke what should be the first rule of writing Galactica, and that is you have to *watch* the episodes again before you write. You need to carefully immerse yourself in the specifics of the episodes because Galactica, while not serialized the way TV is today, was still a show of forward momentum where what happened in one episode did have ramifications for later episodes. That means you can't forget about things like Baltar being a prisoner at one point and getting released in "Hand Of God" and you also can't forget (as Hatch's novels did) that the Ship of Lights gave them the general course heading for Earth (even "Galactica 1980" remembered this point in "Return of Starbuck"!) I tended to think Richard and his writers were going from memory more often than not or from some quickie summary rather than taking time to watch and take notes before proceeding.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2021, 04:38 PM   #36
Gundark
Shuttle Pilot

I believe you summed it up perfectly !